Enter the 1980 Troopy (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

String,

I can't say enough good things about the lizard skin ceramic insulation. I sprayed my firewall with it and then topcoated it. Check my build thread for pics. It's great stuff...

String,

I can't say enough good things about the lizard skin ceramic insulation. I sprayed my firewall with it and then topcoated it. Check my build thread for pics. It's great stuff...

I just ordered 2 gallons of lizard skin sound deadner and 2 gallons of their ceramic insulation along with the spray gun kit... yeah I'm serious about reducing the heat! Nice build thread by the way.

Thanks for the Kudos from all. Loving this build.

I just ordered 2 gallons of lizard skin sound deadner and 2 gallons of their ceramic insulation along with the spray gun kit... yeah I'm serious about reducing the heat! Nice build thread by the way.

Thanks for the Kudos from all. Loving this build.

Awesome! Yeah you're not messing around. Be sure to follow the directions with respect to using both the SD and CI. Can't wait to see the end product.

Does that motor run electric fan only? Do you have the a/c hooked up?
I love it and I'm glad you are taking such good care of it. When I see your pics, I'm glad I finally removed the stripes, it looks so much better.

David,

Yes, I had to go to a pure electric fan setup since the new adapter kit pushed the engine forward too far and my big ol' 19 x 26 radiator was a mouth full for the bay. I found a trick fan controller from Ron Francis that is pretty impressive. It will start up one fan at a pre-set temp then turn on the second 10 degrees later. It also senses when the fans are under load from oncoming wind from travelling at high speeds and shut them off. The third feature is an optional run-on setting that runs them for 2 minutes after you shut the engine off to help keep it from baking after a hard run.

In other news...

We went to trade the GMC Terrain in on an FJ Cruiser since the wife is jealous and wants to run the trails too. We wound up with this:

20140726_212541.jpg

2014 4Runner Trail Edition - We did a lot of comparison and just got more bang for buck plus more room for the kiddo. The crawl controller is pretty sweet too. Now I won't feel so stressed between trail rides to get the Troopy road worthy after an upgrade.

Lizard Skin arrived from Summit yesterday so I'll start stripping the interior and firewall soon. It's a stress relief to know I have another offroad rig ready to go this weekend... so I can take my time!

Took Momma Bear out to try the 4WD bells and whistles on the 4Runner last night. She's tickled pink and stoked for the next trip! The crawl control is pretty slick but seems a bit noisy when it's not under a real load. Going to take some getting used to.

I found this thread from reading the "Mommy Bear" thread on ExPo. I read this whole thread front to back in 1 sitting. A truly phenomenal vehicle. Subbed for updates.

I found this thread from reading the "Mommy Bear" thread on ExPo. I read this whole thread front to back in 1 sitting. A truly phenomenal vehicle. Subbed for updates.

Thanks! Glad you like her!

What is with the grinding noises at the bottom of the hill ?
Sarge

That's the crawl control via the ABS system. It sounds weird when not under load due to the fluctuation of the calipers. She just engaged it a bit too early on the incline. It's taking some getting used to but super nice on long hills.

No updates on the Troopy of late. Been trying to spend time with the family since I was MIA most weekends and evenings during the Ram Jet install. Have a bunch of parts waiting on me though!

I love love love love this truck. I was very interested in purchasing before you did and ended up buying another HJ47 in Albeq. NM. We drove down last Chirstmas and towed it home after driving to the west coast. I've been distracted with other wheeling trips this summer but hope to really dig into it in the coming months. I have a 'build' thread in the Oil Country Cruiser Section.

Plan is
1HZ G turbo and intercooler: have all those bits
H55f: Have
North west fab black box case: have
Split case: Have
80 series rear with detroit and 4.56 gears: have
60 front with 1.5 spacers, ARB, 6 shooters, 4x4labs steering, chromos 4.56 gears: have
factory 5 link or tri 4 link rear suspension with coilovers: don't have
front 80 serises suspension or 3 link with coilovers: Don't have
All sitting atop 40" rubber... thinking km2 on 17's
A big project but my version of an ultimate cruiser for most anything.

Keep the progress rolling as it will egg me on...

Great build.

Here's some useless comments.
Of all the Land Cruisers, to my eyes the best-looking of them all is the 40 Series Troopy (i have a 70 Series Troopy, for the greater amount of room inside and the full-length-box-section chassis rails). Hats off, Mr. Stringtwelve! And nice job of looking after such a good car. While i'm a diesel devotee, if you want a gasser, you cannot do better than a GM 350 - good choice!
Good choice on the 4Runner too, as it is one of the rare moderns that is body-on-frame.
Happy trails to you and your wife, sounds like you have a fantastic partner with you. And, oh! that lucky child, growing up in a Land Cruiser family!!!

enjoyed reading this thread

Here's some useless comments.
Of all the Land Cruisers, to my eyes the best-looking of them all is the 40 Series Troopy (i have a 70 Series Troopy, for the greater amount of room inside and the full-length-box-section chassis rails). Hats off, Mr. Stringtwelve! And nice job of looking after such a good car. While i'm a diesel devotee, if you want a gasser, you cannot do better than a GM 350 - good choice!
Good choice on the 4Runner too, as it is one of the rare moderns that is body-on-frame.
Happy trails to you and your wife, sounds like you have a fantastic partner with you. And, oh! that lucky child, growing up in a Land Cruiser family!!!

The Troopy is amazing, nice work, I like everything, that thing is perfect for some exploring!!!

enjoyed reading this thread

Thank you all for the comments! Sorry this thread hasn't been updated in a while, we have been focused on our adventures in the 4Runner for now and will be adding a Turtleback Trailer to the mix soon as well. The troopy is our long-term project and will always be a part of the family.
We now have a blog for our adventures here: www.LifestyleOverland.com as well as our instagram account here: www.instagram.com/lifestyleoverland

Here's a quick video from last weekend when we were shaking the dust off the Beast:

Any updates? Curious what material you or was used for the sleeping platform in the pop top? Does it sag? Nice addition with the Ram Jet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom