Target carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't think the expanded was ever an issue for anyone with the Gobi, from a noise perspective.

It was more the open space between the front cross bars on the that seemed to resonate at an unbearable frequency on the front of the aerodynamic abomination that is the FJC, even with their air dam that mounted tight against the roof.

Gobi even sold blank plates to fill the void where lights would be, if opting not to run lights, in between each of the front upright supports.

I didn't care for the noise, nor how the lighting was positioned, so chopped the front of a new Gobi off, to accommodate a 40" bar, and it fixed the problem.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Don't know that any is relevant, but I wasn't too happy investing a small fortune in a rack that sang out of tune, so figured it may be worth mentioning the possibility before you finished.

J Mack,

Very nice, you have fine metal talents. Let me ask, what are your coping methods? they fit nice and tight.

J Mack,

Very nice, you have fine metal talents. Let me ask, what are your coping methods? they fit nice and tight.

Thank you sir, I’m still a bit rusty but it feels good being out in the shop making sparks again.

For coping I made a hole saw notcher like the JS2 Notchmaster.

I’ll try to post pictures later.

It was more the open space between the front cross bars on the that seemed to resonate at an unbearable frequency on the front of the aerodynamic abomination that is the FJC

Well it appears that the 55 would be aerodynamically superior to the FJC when it comes to low profile roof racks or I just got lucky, at any rate I can’t hear any difference in cabin noise with the addition of the rack.

Thank again for the heads-up!

Rack tacked and going for the test drive.

Thanks guys!:beer:

Thanks Ron,

Three weeks ago I thought a rack sure would be handy for our upcoming camping trip and maybe I should toss something together, now I’m trying to get out of the office long enough to finish welding it for the trip and the floor is going to have to wait. By the time I decided to do it and got all the material I spent way too much time visualizing curvy bars and not enough time making curvy bars so now I’m under the gun.

At some time I would like to add a floor and an awning mount before I paint it but at this point in time I’m not sure what they will look like.

riva-deck02[1].jpg
I suggest a teck wood floor..like on a Riva boat

I suggest a teck wood floor..like on a Riva boat

Funny you mentioned that, I was thinking a teak wood rack would be cool but our winters are not kind to exposed wood so I decided to stick to steel.
If I lived in a sunshine state I would have built one like this!!

800600001roofrack.jpg

I have exotic wood chairs in the garden, With no treatment it becomes grey, with a treatment twice a year called rustol, it stays perfect. twice a year oiling 2 square meters needs not much time. S whhy not try it for the roof ??
I dont Know if Rustol, here in Europe is something like Rustoleum in USA? It is a sort of oil used to protect metal from rust, and used also and very efficient on wood protection. It is quit long to dry, and can be used as additive with other paint to make it rust protective..

We went camping in yellow pine Idaho and checked out the cinnabar mining camp.
By the time we strapped all our crap on the rack we looked like the Beverly Hillbillies, I just need the rocking chair with granny to complete my look.

We found lot's of trails to explore.

On our camping trip we ended up on an old trail that had not been maintained for quite some time in fact the local town folk said it’s been ten years since a full size vehicle has successfully completed the trail. Long story short the small block with the Holly carb was giving me issue on steep inclines and I had to drive it like I stole it resulting in some minor body damage.

So against my better judgment I’m starting to engine swap now and I’ll have to juggle it into my schedule.

Sitting on blocks in the general location.

I bought some 4BT specific motor mount pads from Cummins Repowers and they told me to set my mounts between 0° and 45° so I made them 25°. I printed the parts on paper, glued then on cardboard then cut and hot glued them together to check clearance. 3/8” steel parts should be cut out today. http://cumminsdieselrepowers.com

Air intake is going to need some modification.

WOW! I wasn't expecting this for awhile. Looks right, sitting in there. I've got a lot of questions, but I'll wait until you get there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom