20r glowing cat and loss of power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi guys im new to this forum. i just got a 1979 toyota pickup and while i was out crawling it started to lose power. the carb acts like it loading up but wont clear out. (it has the asin carb). the cat was glowing and because im a dumb kid i thought the cat was clogged. so i cut the exhaust off now running down the road it cuts out at 3k rpms. is this because theres no back pressure or is the carb out of tune. i havnt even had this truck for a day. what do i do.

If all you did was chop the exhaust and it now cuts out then I would think it's related but I'm not sure how. You can get a carb from National Carb. I'll post the link later. It is easier and maybe cheaper then taking yours apart for the rebuild. Ask me how I know. Parts just aren't available anymore. Get you a new pipe and cat and then replace the carb. Someone will chime in with more technical advice I'm sure. Track down your local MUD group and post up in their forum. It might see more action then here.

I guess it could be carb ... but usually a glowing cat, and glowing exhaust manifold is a timing issue.

Probably out of time and the carburetor isn't functioning. Glowing cat would have been from rich exhaust that it would be trying to handle burning up but instead toasted it.. As far as why it cuts out at 3k?.. Does it peter off and die or like someone hit a kill switch, does it idle fine?

I think I might just swap it over to propane and start fresh the previous owner beat on this truck pretty bad. At least with propane no matter what I'll have power. It idles fine I leaned it out half a turn just to see what happen it runs a little better.

I agree, your timing is off and the fuel is not burning. That's why it cuts out at 3k when the the advance kicks in and the unburnt fuel caused the cat to glow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom