Bj73 with 12ht (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406025504.919319.jpg

Hey guys. First post.
Just bought this little beauty!!
I live in melbourne Australia.

1985 lx with 12ht
149,000kms
Suspension seats are awesome!

Need to do a few things to it.

Already fixed touchy throttle (was quite bad). Put in a throttle damper out of a Peugeot. Nearly the first car I looked at in the wreckers, also put in an extra half strength spring on the throttle return. Works perfectly and not a lot of pressure on the linkages.

I want to get 33" muddies. Will they fit stock height suspension? Sagged a little in the front. Rear seems fine.

Suspension lift, any recommendations? Reasonable price

I won't be able to do both straight away so which do you guys think I do first?

Also have to get a snorkel. What have you guys used?

I have to get rid of the aluminium bullbar and put a steel one on, rear bar, rock sliders. I will most probably build the rear bar and sliders myself, so I will have to track down a bullbar.

Thankyou

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406026384.503351.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406026422.885656.jpg

Hi ,nice buy. Im sure a few 12HT 13BT owners will be thinking about your throttle mod.
You will need to do the suspension at both ends IMO. Lots of options in Australia. Ive used both OME and Dobinsons and Ive been happy with both.
Budget suspension is not recommended.
If you go with 33x10.5x15 you will be able to turn without rubbing with a 2 inch lift.
But if you go with 33x12.5x15 , I think you will have to trim or bash some metal in side the wheel arches.
Go with the narrower tyres,much better in the long run
For a snorkel it will depend on what you want. I think with some rubber elbow joints and aluminium tubing you could make a nice home made one. Donaldsons sell all the bits and pieces.

Body looks clean ,any rusty bits?

Nah. No rust. Just a couple of tiny stone chips at the front of the bonnet. Window surround is perfect. Has been garaged it's whole life.

So 33s will scrub without a lift?

who talked you into buying that :clap::clap:

Hi haddes, nice work, I just commented on carpets thread regarding your purchase, all the hard work is done you can just play as go,
How does she go, I'm assuming 5 speed, look forward to your updates,
P.s if you ever thinking of removing those flares talk to me first!!

Congrats on the purchase,

Dobinsons have a store in Melbourne, when you decide to get your suspension done, give them a call for a price. +61 (3) 9791 3686

I have 33x12.5 on my BJ74 haven't had any issues rubbing, haven't had it articulated to the limit though to see if they hit any body work, they do track a bit on some lesser quality roads like all wide tyres. I like the look of the wider tyres though

Thanks for all the info.
She goes pretty hard. Stacks of power. Still fixing a few minor issues before I get rwc and register it.

Aside from OME and dobinsons are there any other quality springs anyone has used that I could look into?

Hi haddes, nice work, I just commented on carpets thread regarding your purchase, all the hard work is done you can just play as go,
How does she go, I'm assuming 5 speed, look forward to your updates,
P.s if you ever thinking of removing those flares talk to me first!!

It's got the h55f, I'm assuming came in with the 12ht. Has the slave cylinder on the drivers side, my mates got a 1987 bj74 and his has the slave cylinder on the passenger side.
Flares are mine! All mine ;)

Nah. No rust. Just a couple of tiny stone chips at the front of the bonnet. Window surround is perfect. Has been garaged it's whole life.

So 33s will scrub without a lift?

Super nice find.

Yes they will rub as soon as you go offroad. I had 33s on my FJ73 when the suspension had sagged about 2 inches and it looked weird ,like it should be pulling baggage around at the airport with big tyres tucked under the fenders LOL

Im assuming that being nearly 30 years old ,it will have sagged considerably.
If the suspension was still at its original height,then the 33 would probably be ok.
Maybe do some comparisons with suspension height with other 73/74 series

But your pics remind me of mine with saggy suspension when I look at it.

Last edited:
Thanks roscoFJ73.
Just the answer I'm after. Will be doing lift first then tyres. I don't really want to go offroad and rip my flares off..... That would be awkward.

Here's a pic of mine after I did the front suspension that was sagged. I currently have springs to suit a B-bar and winch, was going to add a winch but engine rebuild was unexpected. I will be removing a leaf once back together to get a bit more comfort and articulation.

Thanks for the heads up on tyre rubbing RoscoFJ73, I will keep it in mind when I get the rig back on the tracks.

DSC01821 for email.jpg

Thanks roscoFJ73.
Just the answer I'm after. Will be doing lift first then tyres. I don't really want to go offroad and rip my flares off..... That would be awkward.

Do it all on the same day and watch YOUR landcruiser gain 4-5 inches in height. Amazing LOL

Even with new suspension and 33''s you will still get some rubbing at full flex but not much to worry about or you can do anything about without massive offset or bump stop lowering. Will rub on the rear inner guards and the top of the front guards.

33s and a lift at same time would be awesome but sadly my money tree fell over :(

Even with new suspension and 33''s you will still get some rubbing at full flex but not much to worry about or you can do anything about without massive offset or bump stop lowering. Will rub on the rear inner guards and the top of the front guards.
Do you think 33 x 10.5 would rub?

Do you think 33 x 10.5 would rub?

I think so. In the places Hulsty mentioned particularly when you turn the wheel.
Just save and wait. You will not enjoy the big tyres when bits are being carved off them by body rub,
Its much more fun doing it properly.

Fine! I'll wait! You guys speak too much sense some times. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom