Magma Stainless Steel Cookware (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the feedback @Corey.

I ordered my 10 piece SS set yesterday.

Looking forward to trying it out.

Cool, did you get the ceramic coating too?
I find it really helps and it is a true non stick surface.

Nope. Decided to get the plain jane SS as I'm sure we'd find a way to gum up the surface somehow.

Thanks again!

Something I've recently learned about stainless steel pans: They're not quite as indestructible as many of us have been led to believe. Although stainless steel pans are not as porous (relative) as cast iron and carbon steel they can still benefit from proper seasoning and adhering to non-scratch utensils for cleanup with little to no detergent.

Most of us, me at least :D, probably scrub the bejesus out of a ss pan...thinking no harm could come. But using abrasive pads, etc., leave microscopic scratches, as well as visible to the naked eye scratches, in the surface of the pan...and thus making it all the more prone to sticking.

Also getting the pan hot before oil/fat is introduced, when sauteing/pan frying, and then letting the oil get to near its smoking point will also help keep the surface less prone to foods sticking to the pan.

Lots of 'back and forth' about this...but little downside to treating a quality SS pan similar as a cast iron/carbon steel pan would be treated.

Food for thought ;)

Last edited:
I agree with Spresso here. The stainless can work for you OK when frying. You do need to pay attention to the details-heat first, then generous oil, then cook.

The pots are excellent. I got the 10 piece and it's almost overkill, but it's not a lot more $, so....

For a camp set, there is nothing bad to say. These are excellent. Highly recommended.

Hey Pat, you are welcome, glad you got a set.

On the stainless only I could see seasoning it, but if you get the non stick ceramic set like I bought for my second set, DO NOT SEASON IT.
I had a heck of a time trying to get the oil/gunk off of mine, and Magma said in the future to not season the Ceramic set.
Really no need to since it has the ceramic coating on it.

Just got the 10 pc. in today and opened up the package when I got home.

Wow - everything written here is spot on.

Can't wait to use the set. And thanks for the cooking tips - especially all the info. in the "It's not cast iron" thread.

So do I try Dan's tried and true salt and oil method, or some other formula to season them? That's the next question.

hummm

Smooth-I'd recommend you not season them. The only pan to maybe consider seasoning is the skillet. The rest of it will be soups stews etc and no seasoning needed.

If you season the pan, keep it very very thin. Camp gear doesn't get used that much and your seasoning might get rancid when it's parked for 6 months.

Get a carbon steel pan to fry/saute in.

Congrats on the new set-it's very versatile and excellent.

Out of curiosity where did you guys buy your sets from ? Amazon ? or some other verndor ?

Amazon

Mine just came yesterday...holy crap are they nice!!!

Bought them at Stock4Less...free shipping!

I bought my two sets direct from Magma.
I bought the second set (ceramic) when they first came out, and Amazon was not yet stocked with them.

Pat, looking forward to hearing how they work for you.
I am getting ready to do some fried eggs in mine after I get off the PC.
I like how they roll right out of the pan and onto the plate by tipping it.

After using mine for 6 days camping at the CMCC...I'm happy to report it was everything described, with no complaints.....AAA+ product!!

I've got a 10 piece set with the ceramic coating and nesting pads. I would recommend it to anyone that actually like to do more than warm up soup and boil water. These pots are great.

How does the ceramic do in the skillet? Do you get good malliard reaction and then food release? ie can you really get it hot and still get non-stick properties?

Agree on the awesomeness of this set.

I bought a cheap ceramic coated skillet. Worked great for many months. Used it to fry some soft tortilla's and ruined the ceramic coating. Mind you this was a cheap pan, but does make me wonder as to the durability of a ceramic coating.

Question, are these pans ok to use for frying with hot oil, or should that be reserved for cast iron or stainless?

...via IH8MUD app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom