Builds Introducing Oliver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well it would be cool if they made weld on hummer style locks for diff size rims. Hides the bolts from rocks more. But I haven't seen any. Why would you go a different route such as Staun?
The Stauns save about 50# per wheel, plus you have the benefit of not having to be terrified the first time you air up your tires.

The doubler is almost in! I had some trouble installing the cases by themselves, so put them and the transmission in as a unit.
I had to notch the crossmember I made to accommodate the new driveshaft angle, so once it's painted up (had to let it cool) I'll take some pics.

I finished installing the shocks along with the antiwrap bar yesterday. The exhaust you see in the pic is being replaced by dual 24" cherry bombs.
I also went to u pull it and picked up a brake booster from a sienna (dual diaphragm) which has the same mounting pattern as that of the FJ80 master. I was thinking of running manual discs, but after reading the woes of othe people I thought that me power assist was necessary.

1405615289137.jpg

It's coming right along. You should be wheelin' soon.

I extended the line for the LandCruiser case today so now have one case all hooked up and ready to go. Tomorrow I'm working on the shifter for the 203 and should also have front wheel drive! Im taking parts over to my driveshaft guy this week, so other than brakes, Oliver is almost ready to wheel.

Installed the front shaft today and was finishing the steering stuff when I found that the steering wheel wouldn't turn the tires.....
I discovered that when the original Saginaw conversion was done, that like a lot of the non existent conversion crap in the 70's, that things were pretty redneck to say the least. The tiny tack weld connecting the Toyota steering to the saginaw stuff had broken when trying to turn the bigger tires. Thank god I found this now than when I was bombing some fire road with the kids.

1406244256165.jpg

I used one that was from an 89 S-10, if my memory is correct. It was set up for an auto tranny, which I didn't use. It also had a tilt wheel. I had to do some modifying of the dash hanger to get it to set as high as possible in the stock 40 dash notch. I also had to tweak the brake pedal a bit to get clearance for what I remember as being the headlight dimmer switch that was mounted on the column in about the 10:30 position (under the dash).

I combined the lower steering shaft from two GM vehicles to get a long enough shaft to couple the S-10 column with the manual saginaw steering the PO had installed on the 40. By combining the shafts I was able to keep the stock GM slip joint on the double D shaft.

I was able to get most of the multi-function stalk to work. The only thing I had problems with was the wipers. I got the wiper on/off to work, but had to resort to a toggle switch on the dash for wiper high/low speed.

Don

Installed the half doors today and prepped the firewall for the brake booster. I need a 2" holesaw to finish the booster install, but once that's in I'll route the brake lines.

1406767374824.jpg

Never heard of using a Sienna booster before, where'd you pick up that tip? Getting close! I'm excited for ya!

I got the exhaust installed today. Dual 24" cherry bombs with tips turning down just at the rear shackle hangers. The sound is amazing! Not too loud, but definitely that old school hot rod rumble.
Pics to come tomorrow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom