Tortoise build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chappo
Thanks for the encouragement on my tortoise build its slow going degreasing and cleaning but I'm getting there. It will be the perfect vehicle for camping in the rain forests and fishing some of the beaches around my neck of the woods.

I brought the 1979 chassis but I won't be using it at this stage so I stripped a few good parts that it had. The guy I bought it from gave me a power steering box and a gearbox crossmember to suit a bj42. My wife and daughter want power steering so the h engine will be retired and the 2h from the 60 Saraha will be going in with the PS pump. I will need to pull the 2h engine next weekend to get it ready for the install.

iphone5 001.JPG

iphone5 002.JPG

Last edited:
I decided to strip it it down and remove the cab from the chassis so everything has been stripped out except the last four bolts holding it to the chassis. I'm going to try and get the nod from the local galvanizing plant to get it super clean with soap, degreaser, paint stripper instead of sandblasting. If they agree the cabin will be hot galvanized before the epoxy primer and paint. I took a few photo's mainly for rebuild purpose so they will be a little boring

iphone5 002.JPG

iphone5 005.JPG

iphone5 009.JPG

Last edited:
You've made lots of progress mate looks like it is in great condition still

Yeh mate cab is very good but some off the panels are letting her down and panels are getting hard to find rust free.
I might have to upgrade to a 2000 model with the extra cab and start over. ;)

Last edited:
I fitted the H engine mount today and got around to removing the last four cab mounts so all I need to do is lift the body into the ute so I can deliver to the panel shop Tuesday morning. I should have the H engine and gearbox back in this weekend so I can start fitting all the running gear.

iphone5 001.JPG

iphone5 002.JPG

iphone5 004.JPG

I put the engine and box back in so I can start getting all the running gear back together.

iphone5 005.JPG

iphone5 002.JPG

iphone5 004.JPG

I found out today the H diesel engine and gearbox are mounted around 2 inches forward compared to the 2f motor and box. The front shaft is shorter and rear longer so I'm now hoping the gear and transfer levers will still clear the engine cover if not I will need a diesel cover. I cleaned the 1980 prop shafts up and rattle canned them black enamel I left them baking in the sun while I put new shoes in the park brake and also replaced the rubber brake hoses.
Slow going but I'm getting there. :)

iphone5 007.JPG

iphone5 010.JPG

iphone5 011.JPG

It's looking good mate

I will have to come see it in person after my 75 series is done

Good work mate nearly there now

Yeh mate full crawl ahead now but I'm smiling because the engine is running strong with only a filter prime with a sniff of either to fire.
I will need to rebuild or update the alternator as its pumping oil instead of pulling a vacuum so it must be stuffed.
If I need to upgrade the alternator I will try and find a 150 amp to run twin thermo fans + dual batteries for the ramsey winch.

That engine looks good mate

I decided to run the engine again and the vacuum pump one way valve must have jammed open with piece of the old carbon vane dumping a few quarts of new oil over my driveway. The vacuum pump and broken carbon vanes.
iphone5 001.JPG
I was lucky and found a good set in a old truck vacuum pump vanes that where the same thickness but larger.
iphone5 003.JPG
I cut the carbon vanes down with a hacksaw and finished them off with emery cloth over 3 hours and then cleaned and rebuilt the pump.
View attachment 927792

iphone5 001.JPG

iphone5 002.JPG

Last edited:
More oil on your drive way gees mate sounds like you fixed it though

Passed inspection getting engineers certificate some time in the next week

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom