12HT + FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ill take a few pice wen i finish work. Not sure if the linkages are different from manual to auto.
My engine was from an auto, but now its manual, so anything you have would be awesome!!!!! Id really appreciate pictures of the whole thing, from the top of the engine, down to the bottom where it hinges.

Thank you SO much!

Here goes

1405162054884.jpg

1405162066619.jpg

1405162081207.jpg

1405162091605.jpg

1405162101083.jpg

Wow that was so helpful! Thanks so much!

I thought I'd have to build some complex pivot system but that seems really straight forward.
So it's just and L shaped bracket that holds the throttle cable and guides it down to the bottom linkage.

Thanks so much that was a really big help!

Finally nearing the end of the tunnel here guys.
I made some serious progress on the swap today. My dad finally came down to give me a hand and it was really awesome to have two guys workin on the rig.

Heres what we got done today:
-Connected front and rear drive shafts
-Put the AC compressor on
-Hooked up all the pulleys and belts
-Got the fan on
-Fan shroud in
-Radiator in and mounted
-Bottom radiator hose is on (Top one is awaiting pickup at NAPA)
-Air cleaner housing is blasted and painted
-Batteries are mounted

I also installed a new cable to pop the hood. Mine was super frayed and barely holding on.
I disconnected the rear heater lines, and pulled them from the bottom of the car. I never use my rear heater, and it would have taken a lot of work to plumb it up. I can always re-connect it, but for now, Im going to just use the front one, seeing as though it more than gets the job done. Unless I go to Alaska in the dead of winter with 3 passengers in the back seat, my front heater should fill my needs. I left the rear heater in, I just plugged the holes with silicon.

Looks weal pwitty
Thanks! Im having an absolute blast with the swap now. It feels so good to not get under the truck to do work. Im glad I took all that time to blast and paint everything. Its looking killer.
Im so STOKED! I cant wait to drive ittttttt :bounce2:

I love my 61. Its a tractor, at least goes and sounds the same anyway. Youll love the noise and crack the 12ht puts out. If u havent already get a 3" turbo back exhaust with no muffler. Noisy!! :)

I love my 61. Its a tractor, at least goes and sounds the same anyway. Youll love the noise and crack the 12ht puts out. If u havent already get a 3" turbo back exhaust with no muffler. Noisy!! :)
Thats my job for monday! Once the engine is all together and awaiting wiring, Im going to start welding the exhaust together
3" straight pipe

Im glad I took all that time to blast and paint everything. Its looking killer.

Who called that? ;)

It's looking great buddy!

Only note on the muffler: you might want to consider one to serve as a spark arrestor depending on where you want to drive it (some BLM and USFS lands require one). That's the only reason I put mufflers on my trucks. Straight through (like a glass pack) so you can get the benefits of a straight-ish pipe, but still be nice and legal if it ever becomes a big deal.

Dan

Who called that? ;)

It's looking great buddy!

Only note on the muffler: you might want to consider one to serve as a spark arrestor depending on where you want to drive it (some BLM and USFS lands require one). That's the only reason I put mufflers on my trucks. Straight through (like a glass pack) so you can get the benefits of a straight-ish pipe, but still be nice and legal if it ever becomes a big deal.

Dan
I may add one at a later date. For now I just want to get her road worthy. I do drive on my families land in Northern California quite a bit. Its pretty dry in the summer, and I am worried about starting a grass fire. Do you think I should be very concerned about that? How probable is it that I might throw sparks??? I dont want to start a forrest fire...... but I also dont drive on BLM land or USFS land because I have my own land to drive on.
Is it that dangerous?

Sunday Update:

Before the week starts and I get bogged down in the swap, I thought Id share my wiring plan.

I am going to be doing a split system. The engine, glow screen, starter, etc. will be run on 24 volts from the original alternator. The rest of the truck will remain 12volt.
My plan is to use a relay system and split the two harnesses into basically independent systems. The only 24 volt accessory in the cab will be the gauges. The tach will be 24, as will the temp, oil etc. The speedo I will be changing to MPH.

That will be a little custom side build as I have to modify the housing and whatnot.

Build resumes tomorrow at 8:00! Stay tuned!

I may add one at a later date. For now I just want to get her road worthy. ...
Is it that dangerous?

That's a fine plan. Roadworthy would be my first goal too (heck, typically drive around with the dump pipe for a few hundred miles before I get trucks to the exhaust shop).

I don't now how big of a deal the spark arrestor is really. I've never had a problem (and I live in a really dry area), but I also have always ended up putting on a muffler just to be on the safe side. I doubt it's much of an issue for a 12HT.

Dan

following along on your build here and taking some notes. Im getting ready to do this swap on my fj60 as soon as all the parts arrive. 80 series throttle cable i got but what pedal assembly are you using?

I'm using the pedal assembly from the donor truck.

If I could recomend something. Do everything u can to get EBERYTHING. The bane of my swap was missing parts

oh i guess i missed that part. i purchased a 12ht with nothing attached at the rear so i had to source a the flywheel bellhousing plate bolts etc from canada as well as an air cleaner and frame side engine mounts..i completely forgot about the throttle cable and pedal until i read your post. does anyone know if an upper thermostat housing is available that has an inlet to the other side so a 2f radiator could be used? i just put a new aluminum one in mine.

"
I am going to be doing a split system. The engine, glow screen, starter, etc. will be run on 24 volts from the original alternator. The rest of the truck will remain 12volt.
My plan is to use a relay system and split the two harnesses into basically independent systems. The only 24 volt accessory in the cab will be the gauges. The tach will be 24, as will the temp, oil etc. The speedo I will be changing to MPH.
That will be a little custom side build as I have to modify the housing and whatnot.
Build resumes tomorrow at 8:00! Stay tuned! "

Do you ( or anyone else) have a circuit diagram for this please. I will soon be putting a 24V engine into a 12 v car and would like to retain at least the starter.
Sorry haven't quite got my quotes right yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom