Can an ARB tree saver strap be used as a bridle between 2 recovery points? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You don't have to buy a bridle. The same thing can be accomplished with two equal length straps and a shackle. Example: two six foot chokers (straps), one attached at each tow hook and then the both of those married together with a shackle. No point in spending the money in a bridle.

That doesn't equalize the load unless the pull is directly perpendicular to the bumper. A bridle typically uses a pulley block that can slide along the line to evenly distribute the load.

That doesn't equalize the load unless the pull is directly perpendicular to the bumper. A bridle typically uses a pulley block that can slide along the line to evenly distribute the load.

This is how we design ours.

If this approach is not used and the pull is not directly in line with the vehicle then one strap will take all the load.

Can't you use a snatch block on the bridle?? That is one of the setups that I carry....I haven't used it, but the snatch block will keep the load "leveled" as well....

Maybe I am off and shouldn't use....??

Sent from DynaTAC bag phone

Yes, snatch block on a wire rope choker will work just fine.

An actual bridle is the same as the two chokers and a shackle, just pre-made. I should have brought up the inline pull, that is also correct. So a bridle with a snatch block in it would only be a single wire rope choker. Really a person should have multiple straps and a few snatch blocks in their recovery gear.

There are so many different situations a person can find themselves in it would be a lot of gear to be packing around to be prepared for any situation. Wire rope chokers are a pain in the ass. Personally I prefer 2" nylon chokers and a couple snatch blocks for the winch line.

Can't you use a snatch block on the bridle?? That is one of the setups that I carry....I haven't used it, but the snatch block will keep the load "leveled" as well....

Maybe I am off and shouldn't use....??

Sent from DynaTAC bag phone

Yes. Our bridles are 3/8" Amsteel Blue but we can make them in any diameter. Add a block and it equalizes the load distribution between legs.

http://www.southeastoverland.com/in...ct_id=200&virtuemart_category_id=71&Itemid=33

Check out the pic with the block.

Thanks for the feedback, discussion and links.

I use the snatch block and rope bridle from SEOverland.

Thought I was ordering a kinetic bridle but didn't..so now I need to get a kinetic bridle.

SEOver...hit me up when u r having yur next sale. Sent from DynaTAC bag phone

Last edited:
So here's a question - what if the person trying to recover my vehicle doesn't have a winch and snatch block? Just an ARB snatch strap?

Will the SEO bridle work w/ a snatch strap that slides along the rope protector to equalize the load?

bridle.jpg

The block helps to quickly equalize the load but just using a strap will work.

If you are towing or snatching where dynamic loads are seen you need the kinetic bridle. If you are winching then you need the winch line / static bridle (pictured below).

Thanks!

So here's a question - what if the person trying to recover my vehicle doesn't have a winch and snatch block? Just an ARB snatch strap?

Will the SEO bridle work w/ a snatch strap that slides along the rope protector to equalize the load?

Do you have a kinetic bridle?

According to your website, it states that the SEO load equalizing bridle "is intended to be used with a snatch block and for static pulls only."

What 084runnerltd said. We have one for static and one for dynamic loading. His link above is the dynamic one.

Steve

Got my SEO dynamic bridle today.

Great quality and thanks for the Mud discount!

Going out this weekend and - who knows - it may even get used!

Happy 4th.

We've got a place called Just Straps here in Oz that makes all kinds of straps and tie-downs. I have set of their car trailer tie-downs and they're an excellent product. 4WD Straps, 4x4 Recovery Gear, Snatch Straps and Tie Downs

As for recovery straps they do make two sizes of equalizing straps, but just as important as a proper bridle aka equalizing strap are proper recovery points. I don't have a winch on my 80 but I'm considering buying a genuine Tirfor hand winch plus a couple of equalizing straps and pulleys plus fitting proper rated recovery points such as the ones sold here under the RoadSafe brand. I'm going to try and fit some to the back as well if I can figure out how they can mount 'co-operatively' with the Hayman Reese tow fitting.

Roadsafe Automotive Products, Aftermarket Automotive Products, roadsafe suspension

Ok - had the same question as the OP and decided to start looking for a bridle when I came across this thread.

If I understand correctly:

1. Bridles are another tool in the extraction/recovery arsenal.
  2. However, they should only be used properly (e.g. < 30 degrees included angle, assuming all other components in the extraction are appropriately rated for use).
With that in mind, I happened across the video below and would appreciate feedback/critique since this what I originally envisioned doing on my rig - specifically, find an appropriately sized bridle that would yield a < 30 degree included angle when attached to the hundy using d-shackles on the front's FRBs v1 and slipped through a snatch strap. This would presumably allow the snatch strap to "balance the load" across both FRBs/hundy frame.

I'll update this post per the feedback/critiques since it may be useful for others who happen upon it.

FYI - Based on numerous searches today, it would appear that "bridles" are more popularly used and sold "down under" vs. N.A. A somewhat subjective assessment. Also appreciate the tips and advice in this thread.

Been thinking about this video and concept recently, glad I found this thread.... All engineering talk aside I don't see any reason why a nice straight pull using a setup like this is an issue.. Seems to spread the weight out and allow for a smooth recovery.

After reading through this thread I do see why doing a more off angle recovery or snatch with this one strap bridle setup really isn't necessary and isn't helping the cause due to the way the force is distributed between the two legs.

Only issue I see is that the recovery point mounting bolts are then being put under load differently. So called 'rated' recovery points are only 'rated' for a straight-in-line pull. Once you try pulling off-angle the forces are quite different but I agree that when *not* being used with snatch straps they are probably ok. Use them with snatch straps off-angle and you amplify the risk of the recovery point coming at you at over 100 kph if something breaks.

If looking at this correctly the shackle is attached to both loops of the strap and not around the strap. So a tree strap would be rated with both loops used in a single shackle. If using the loops separated the strap rating is less since each loop now has the entire pull on it.

Attachments

• Winching-Techniques-for-Vehicle-Recovery.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Disclaimer: new member here and have not done a recovery yet. In the process of researching and buying what I think I might need for recovery on upcoming trips I have planned. Just wanted to share what I've found and relevant to discussion in this thread.

Using the info from this video and the earlier recommendations here, <30° seems ideal. Measuring the distance on the recovery points on my 100 series were at around 35".

Triangle Calculator - https://www.calculator.net/triangle-calculator.html?vc=&vx=10&vy=10&va=&vz=35&vb=&angleunits=d&x=62&y=19

ARB has a 16' (192") tree protector. If we use this as a bridle, that gives us 96" on each arm. Using this calculator, and plugging in 35" for the bottom of the triangle and 96" for the arms, we get an angle of around 21°.

Base on the above, I'm considering going with this ARB 16' tree saver and the ARB 29x2.3" snatch strap. Any reasons why I shouldn't go this route. Open to feedback and critiques. Thanks!

Disclaimer: new member here and have not done a recovery yet. In the process of researching and buying what I think I might need for recovery on upcoming trips I have planned. Just wanted to share what I've found and relevant to discussion in this thread.

Using the info from this video and the earlier recommendations here, <30° seems ideal. Measuring the distance on the recovery points on my 100 series were at around 35".

Triangle Calculator - https://www.calculator.net/triangle-calculator.html?vc=&vx=10&vy=10&va=&vz=35&vb=&angleunits=d&x=62&y=19

ARB has a 16' (192") tree protector. If we use this as a bridle, that gives us 96" on each arm. Using this calculator, and plugging in 35" for the bottom of the triangle and 96" for the arms, we get an angle of around 21°.

Base on the above, I'm considering going with this ARB 16' tree saver and the ARB 29x2.3" snatch strap. Any reasons why I shouldn't go this route. Open to feedback and critiques. Thanks!

Awesome thanks for sharing. I'm on that guys youtube now, watching wide tires vs narrow tire comparison off road. Nice to see some facts behind all of the opinions floating around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom