Desert/south western tire recommendation. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bwell

SILVER Star
Threads
I currently have a set of 265/75r16 duratracs on my locked and lifted 2002 Tacoma. Vehicle is used for commuting and weekend exploring/family camping. Duratracs are not fairing so well to my route selection/lack of when dealing with chunking and side wall penetration.

Would be stepping up to 285/75r16. What is everyone's recommendation? Open to mud terrains and even thinking toyo at2's in xt sizing of 305/70r16.

Generally looking for something with good sidewall thickness and or toughness.

Thanks.

GY MT/R Kevlars are popular in the desert southwest. GY claims that the sidewalls are 33% tougher than their non kevlar tires, but they are certainly not bullet proof. BFG KM2s are also popular. Both of these are probably a little noisier on road than the Duratracs.

What load rating are your Duratrac's?

Pin_head, thank you.

What load rating are your Duratrac's?

This actually occurred to me yesterday when I warrantied one of my tires...... When I purchased them I specifically ordered load range c tires since I wasn't putting them on a larger truck...... They're only 2 ply side walls...

I guess on a good note, I now have a almost new correctly sized spare that has plug in one of the sidewall treads.

Well, I guess live and learn for next time

You were correct to go with load range C for a Tacoma.... I get far too many half ton trucks in with E rated tires and complaints from ride condition.... you can't have everything!

Those Toyos are good tires, I think youd be happier than the Duratrac performance

Loving my 285/75/16 BFG Mud Terrian KM2s

I'm in Tucson. Another vote for KM2s. They look great and held up well for me on my 80. I had first gen MTRs on my 60. Loud and had one fail on me so wasn't a fan but don't have experience with newer models. Also have had good results with Nitto Terra Grapplers but those are ATs.

I like Toyo M-55's in 255/85R16 for my 100 series in Eastern Oregon out in the sage and rocks. However, they are load range E...which would probably be too much for a Tacoma. But perfect for a loaded 100...

I like Toyo M-55's in 255/85R16 for my 100 series in Eastern Oregon out in the sage and rocks. However, they are load range E...which would probably be too much for a Tacoma. But perfect for a loaded 100...

Any chance for a picture with these tires??

I actually have the duratracs on a 2000 100 series now. I find them to be a bit on the light duty side now with the 100 when loaded down with family plus camping gear and smaller boat behind it.

I'm actually considering the m55's in that size for the 100 when the duratracs are gone.

Falken rocky mountain atsii in 285/75/16 have far exceeded my expectations. I had bfg at range e on my Tahoe and they chunked off pretty bad out here in the desert

Falken rocky mountain atsii in 285/75/16 have far exceeded my expectations. I had bfg at range e on my Tahoe and they chunked off pretty bad out here in the desert

I have a friend who has a set, and I have seen a few others here in El Paso, so they are definitely becoming more popular here.

MTR's are great, but Duratrac's are hard to beat!

MTR's are definitely an option. I have been a big fan of Duratracs since they first came out this is my second set. My first set was awesome on a half ton truck. This set is too light of a load rating now, and I've plugged one sidewall already. I've even had a set of Kelly safari TSR's which are essentially rebranded cheaper version. I liked those a lot too. I just want something with a 3 ply sidewall really.

Lots of new options coming to market soon, two of which are basically trying to earn some market back from Goodyear, nitro and toyo both have spin offs being released that are the same market share as duratracs. Then revised ko2's but nothing new there really. Thanks again guys!

Any chance for a picture with these tires??

I do...

What have you done to your 100 Series this week?

Not the best views, but should give you an idea. I can post up more if you would like. I really like these tires...they are very capable and are very tough. Only downside is the weight.

I will probably be posting up a full, comprehensive review soon.

Speaking of weight, the Rocky Mountains are heavy, but to me, having a tire with some weight is a good thing from a durability standpoint. Obviously, spinning them up and slowing them down is a downside, but in an off road situation on purpose built vehicles, the toughness that the extra weight provides seems like all benefit to me.

Thank you both for the insight. I agree on the weight of the tires and load range ratings with heavier duty tires being an advantage especially on these things because, well they kind of our tanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom