Best, Brightest Drop Light? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Old Timer
Threads
Website
www.orion-ventures.com
I am looking for the best, brightest drop light available. The old 60w reel light is good for about 15 minutes until it drops to the floor and pops another bulb. The old flourescent tube is lame at best. And the new fangled LED work light is just a little better than a tallow candle.

There has got to be a Kick-Ass drop light out there that will help my nearly half-century old eyes cope in the garage...

Suggestions??

I use the old-time drop light with a fluorescent bulb (CFL). Put a 100w equivalent (or bigger) bulb in there. Not break-proof but it won't break filaments like incandescents will, so they last pretty long. Home Depot sells 3 different 'colors' of CFL's, and they're fairly cheap.

I am looking for the best, brightest drop light available. The old 60w reel light is good for about 15 minutes until it drops to the floor and pops another bulb. The old flourescent tube is lame at best. And the new fangled LED work light is just a little better than a tallow candle.

There has got to be a Kick-Ass drop light out there that will help my nearly half-century old eyes cope in the garage...

Suggestions??

I keep wondering the same thing. I have the Craftsman florescent work light and for the most part its fine. But there are times when the light isn't direct enough and/or blowing back in my eyes that cause me to cuss a little :D

I've tried LED drop lights for this application and they just don't provide the right temp/color nor do they provide good depth of field. I suppose if they were filled with Cree LED chips then they'd...well they'd be $500 :rolleyes:

I also use my Surefire Saint head light that comes in super handy too...

But the search for the perfect drop light continues!

I will often use my Makita cordless fluorescent light to throw out a general light, but typically I'm wearing my Petzl headlight. Hands-free, the beam is always shining where you're looking, and the new LED's make the batteries last a long time.

I use the old-time drop light with a fluorescent bulb (CFL). Put a 100w equivalent (or bigger) bulb in there. Not break-proof but it won't break filaments like incandescents will, so they last pretty long. Home Depot sells 3 different 'colors' of CFL's, and they're fairly cheap.

X2 works great in my cheapo HF drop light. Just use a bright white CFL.

I use a good old reel light from sears, but I use traffic rated builds that I found at my local grainger. They are 60w 8000 hr bulbs and have 3 legs on the filament for extra stability. I have had them in for over a year and they have been bonked around and every time I wait for it pop but they just keep hangin in there.

Reminds me I need to pick up another case of them before they become illegal in a year or so..... Yay for government meddling.:censor:

What about the Fenix MC-10? It's not really a work light, but if you glued a magnet to the pocket clip or the tailcap it would do everything that a work light like the Maxxeon does, for 1/3 the price. I've owned a couple of Fenix flashlights and they have all been exceptionally bright. This one has a pivoting head, a fairly floody beam pattern and runs for a long time on 1 AA battery. If you haven't tried out one of the new LED flashlights (like this one is) you're in for a treat. On one AA battery it will put out several times more light than a 6 D cell Mag light.

Fenix MC10

Last edited:
I keep wondering the same thing. I have the Craftsman florescent work light and for the most part its fine. But there are times when the light isn't direct enough and/or blowing back in my eyes that cause me to cuss a little :D

I've tried LED drop lights for this application and they just don't provide the right temp/color nor do they provide good depth of field. I suppose if they were filled with Cree LED chips then they'd...well they'd be $500 :rolleyes:

I also use my Surefire Saint head light that comes in super handy too...

But the search for the perfect drop light continues!
LED technology is moving fast, expect to see full spectrum LED's become cost effective within a year or two. Also watch for OLED products to start coming into their own.

I glued some foam on part of the metal head of mine and put a fluro bulb in it. The 100 watt is really bright....

Thought I'd update:

I went ahead and bought the Fenix MC10, and glued a magnet to the back clip like I planned. It will do everything I want from it, but I wish the beam were a little more floody. It is plenty bright when it wants to, though, and can aim every which way. But it's really small, and lacks a clip option along with the magnet mount. Result: probably not the best overall light afterall, but worth checking out.

I also saw a light I had never heard of at Walmart the other day by Black and Decker. It was called the Flex 360, and for $25 you get 130 lumens of LED lighting, a clamp handle that looks like it will clamp to anything up to about a 2x4, a full pointable head and the ability to go from spot to flood like a mag light. The size was probably a little less than a 2D cell mag light. I'm not sure whether or not it had a built in magnet or hook for other ways to mount it, but it probably had at least the hook. For the price I think it is the best light mentioned in this thread.

I personally would not buy a single shop light again if I could help it. Instead, I would buy 2-3 clamp on spot lights to light the area at different angles. some times one single light source is not enough and you have to constantly readjust it for different angles.

Now, for overall broad engine bay lighting, napa makes one long LED shop light that extends the entire width of the engine bay. It clamps onto the edges of the hood.

I personally would not buy a single shop light again if I could help it. Instead, I would buy 2-3 clamp on spot lights to light the area at different angles. ...

I've had on eof the clamp on light for a long time. Just bought a power inverter so I used the clamp on light while working on the DS this past week in the rain, and the light worked well, a lot of light, easy to find something to clamp to.
41B88PBW38L._SS500_.jpg

Around $9. And when I go camping, it's instant light for night time tent set up, huge light for digging around inside. It's rated for a 100W bulb.

41B88PBW38L._SS500_.jpg

Around $9. And when I go camping, it's instant light for night time tent set up, huge light for digging around inside. It's rated for a 100W bulb.

Hit your local Tractor Supply store for a brooder lamp , heavier cord and a porcelain bulb holder , handles 250W bulbs , only thing is that there's no on off switch
On sale for $8 at the moment

Hit your local Tractor Supply store for a brooder lamp , heavier cord and a porcelain bulb holder , handles 250W bulbs , only thing is that there's no on off switch
On sale for $8 at the moment

Walk over to the electric supply section, buy an inline rocker on/off switch, cut the wire, install, boom, there's your on/off switch. Done it many times.

Suggestions??

If you say you want the best, I believe I have the answer- http://ledpros.us.com

It doesn't get any better for mechanics, I promise ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom