The Vegtable Garden Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty, try planting a cover crop of annual rye grass, horse beans (favas i think), let them grow over winter and chop roto till them into the soil while getting ready in the spring. its called a green manure crop. it does several things, most being the roots let h2o into the soil during winter and planted enough, will croud out winter annual weeds. not to mention the beans will build up alittle nitrogen through the rhizobia (SP?). good luck

Good plan

Holy Krap, I thought I was a pepper slut.;) Dammit, we need a chili icon.:hmm:

DAMN!

(I just planted about 30 peppers)

ANd most of my tomatoes.

:bounce2:

BrotherRob
We have more going in soon. We grow 7 different varieties for our hot sauce Co. Can't get warm soon enough.
Cheers :)

...via IH8MUD app

Nice, personally I prefer fresh chilies to sauce. We're lucky, we can usually grow peppers as perennials, I tend to get some monster plants and a lot of volunteers from unused peppers. The volunteers are usually hybrids and very unique.

Nice, personally I prefer fresh chilies to sauce. We're lucky, we can usually grow peppers as perennials, I tend to get some monster plants and a lot of volunteers from unused peppers. The volunteers are usually hybrids and very unique.

Our sauce is different. But I hear you. Would love to see pics of the plants at harvest time. You in S. Fla..???
Cheers

...via IH8MUD app

Our sauce is different. But I hear you. Would love to see pics of the plants at harvest time. You in S. Fla..???
Cheers

...via IH8MUD app

Nope, AZ. We get freezes every 3-5 years, otherwise the plants pretty much thrive.

I planted one of my little gardens recently. I have a variety of tomato, peppers, and 2 okra plants right now. I built a canopy, as I learned last year the full sun was a little much on some of the plants when they were small. I might do green beans and more peppers and tomatoes in the other box I have.
image.jpg

You smart guys probably know this already, but don't plant mint somewhere unless you are okay with it consuming the entire space. Every spring I spend an hour pulling all that crap out of my boxes. I think I got it all this year, but won't surprise me if it comes back.

Last edited:
We got all the seed crops planted last week just waiting for stuff to sprout. Night temps are warming up so I might put the tomatoes I started in the ground in a couple of days.

Strawberries can be hard to get rid of too.
You smart guys probably know this already, but don't plant mint somewhere unless you are okay with it consuming the entire space. Every spring I spend an hour pulling all that crap out of my boxes. I think I got it all this year, but won't surprise me if it comes back.

X2 on the strawberry problem! 4" tall or greater metal landscape trim is your friend...and bird netting ;)

Rusty: I bought some gold beets at our local FM a few months ago and they were incredible. Normally gold beets are too blah for us...but these were a deep gold color with blood red infused too. Never seen them before. And I couldn't remember what vendor I bought them from...until last week when I asked one of the vendors about it and she said she was the one that supplied them. It was an experiment...she interplanted red and gold beets...and they crossed into their own hybrid...which are every bit as delicious as Chioggia beets...and maybe more so!

I wonder if she shares seed?

I'll ask her tomorrow.

These are the beets I mentioned above (obviously next to the traditional red beets :)).

Red and Gold Beets.jpg

What are you folks using for pesticide? I'd like to keep it natural as possible. I read online about making a cayenne pepper spray, has anyone had success with this?

Time to switch to summer stuff. 3 more peppers and a basil in today.:)

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1399898860.497716.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1399898886.546631.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1399898910.096574.jpg

First my garden guards protecting our peppers. Then some fish we caught. Finally my sweet Sara Jane feeding the garden fish guts & stuff.
Life's GREAT.

...via IH8MUD app

Looks like you have a bit of deadhead work in your future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom