88 fj62 drivers side electric mirror in two pieces (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.empiretattooinc.com
ok so i picked up my truck off ebay relatively recently, north eastern truck so pretty rusty but nothing awful lifted, interior is good, a lot of good stuff on it basically only the body isnt the best.
that really has nothing to do with anything though
my problem is i went out in the woods recently with it and made a turn that i realized wasnt gona happen, wasnt paying attention and when reversing pulled on the mirror with a tree til it went toward the hood of the car.. creaking noise..creaking noise..snap
the mirror is now in two seperate pieces im going to upload pics to show.
not sure if im missing an internal clip or what is going on but when folded in it kind of sits there and stays, and if facing where id need to see out of it it droops down, basically it wont click back into being mounted, the glass is still good and the electric works fine
is there any way i can get it back together and still function as a folding mirror
i dont want to weld it in place or have to spend $450 on a new one from SOR
here is a link to the album showing whats going on with my mirror incase pics dont post here
http://imgur.com/a/HMBbD
thanks in advance
also i can post more pics if needed.

p2QnbNa.jpg

fQy9qQt.jpg

QdIk5pq.jpg

I think I remember when I took mine apart somewhat that there are retaining bolts/screws inside. Probably what hit and broke.

I think you need a new bottom piece that bolts to the truck.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1398115521.038465.jpg
If you look at the bottom of the mirror housing that is hanging you should see three Phillips head screws. If you pull them out, that piece that comes loose is what broke off your bottom piece. Once it's off, the bottom if the mirror housing should look like this.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1398115997.038406.jpg
minus the headless locked up screw shown in mine. Hopefully they all come out smoothly for you.

I doubt you can fix that piece you broke but the good news is that I'm pretty sure you can find a used or broken mirror that has that whole bottom bracket in good working condition. If it is a power mirror, the biggest pain in the ass will be cutting and reattaching the wiring. Unfortunately the connector is too big to fit through the little hole that the wiring is run through if the piece that you broke. Not a big deal though.

thanks guys, i somehow didnt get notified there were replies to this thread, or maybe i just didn't notice them. i actually fixed it and didnt think to take pics of the process til after it was done because honestly i didnt think what i was doing would work. i unscrewed the screws like you were talking about, took off my passenger mirror that was in good condition to compare and while looking noticed nothing appeared to be physically broken, once i got down to it that was completely the case. that spring you have pictured actually hold that bar in the middle of it tight to the inside of the bottom half and it is only held by one very very strong washer type clamp which i wish i got a picture of. anyway..basically 'all' that had to be done was compress the spring and get the clamp back on, if you saw the clearance and room you have on the inside of the bottom half its next to impossible. long story short one large c clamp, one small c clamp, an oil cap from an s2000 that fit perfectly around the other side of the bar to compress the spring, and 3 people holding both pieces at the same time and turning the clamps it went back together.
that probably didnt help anyone but know if you ever seperate the spring from the lower half of the mirror as long as you still have all the pieces it absolutely can be fixed with a lot of thinking and a few extra hands.

and as i cant figure out how to edit posts, i meant to say the oil cap fit perfectly over and around the mirror clip/clamp on one side, and the c clamp on the other, which needed to be pressed tight to the bar while the spring was compressed. also as someone mentioned to make this possible at all i did have to cut the wires and respice which compared to everything else i went through was very easy.

So happy to see this thread. Thank you!!! Just manzanitad mine into two pieces this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom