2FE help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

krzyabncanuck

USFS HOTSHOT
GOLD Star
Threads
Just got done doing a 2FE swap and now i have an issue. It started on about the 5 try which is fine and everything works great minus i have no exhaust on except for short pipes for the 02 sensors.

It will not shut down at all unless i take away the air. ( cover the intake ). Take both battery cables off and it will still run great.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

TIA

Check your alternator wiring against the wiring schematic. The alternator is self exciting (heh, heh). What alternator are you running FJ62 or 40? They don't typically need a diode to stop back feeding, but sometimes that is required, especially if you modified the wiring.

I am running a fj62 alternator . I got a aftermarket wiring harness from a decent company. Not ez or painless . Can not think of their name but he was not too sure about how to wire our alternator either. Will go change back out and check that. The fuel pump was still running with both cables undone do that makes sense.

So, somewhere along the line in your wiring you got a wire back feeding your alternator. This thread talks about the issue and discusses the diode issue. To confirm that it is tha alt, isolate the alternator by disconnecting the alternator wires and start the truck, then shut it off. If it stops, then you've narrowed it down to circuits that involve the alternator.
I still think you need to step through your wiring from the fuse box and the ignition switch. Perhaps you have one of your ignition relays wired incorrectly and instead of switching the relay you are just going through it.

Next step is to narrow down the offending circuit(s) by begin pulling fuses one at a time while the engine is running.

Last edited:
Thanks much. Will be doing all this tomorrow morning.

I had the same issue when I rewired mine. I solved that, then chased a charging issue around and was convinced it was the alternator. It turned out to be a simple wiring issue where I had a wire on the alt hooked up wrong. It cost me two batteries in the process.

Hooked up the wires on the alt the other way and after running for a bit smoke came pouring. Not that I guess. Still would not shut down on its own but did once I unhooked the neg cable. Onward we go.

You may have fried a diode (or 2) in the alt. Take the alternator out of the equation. Disconnect the wires from the alternator entirely, start the truck, then turn off the key. Does the truck shut off?

No. It does not shut off. Fuel pump still runs also after key taken out. Will quit when battery disconnected.

Disconnected the main relay and it shut down like it was supposed to.

So the problem is you need to install relays in these circuits to mimic the ignition wiring of the FJ62. I have a diagram in my 2FE notebook. I will post a pic of it this evening. What is happening is you are energizing the the circuit, but have no way to shut it off.

So. I have a Centech harness here and had a wire I had run but not used under the hood. It is IGN power. I pulled the small Blk/blue wires from the large blk / blue wires and put them on it and it works as it should. I was getting constant power to both sides of the coil prior and now it is like it should be. In some strange way I fixed it I guess. Now if I could get the CEL light to come on.

Now I left both the big blk / blue wire and red / yellow wire on fusible links directly to the battery . Any issues with that ?

So. I have a Centech harness here and had a wire I had run but not used under the hood. It is IGN power. I pulled the small Blk/blue wires from the large blk / blue wires and put them on it and it works as it should. I was getting constant power to both sides of the coil prior and now it is like it should be. In some strange way I fixed it I guess. Now if I could get the CEL light to come on.

Now I left both the big blk / blue wire and red / yellow wire on fusible links directly to the battery . Any issues with that ?

I will look through my notes and get back to you tonight.

Here are some images of the wiring for an FJ40 ignition and a description of what needs to be done to get the ignition wiring to power the required wires correctly. These are my modifications of the FJ62 schematic. I like these schematics because they are more physically representative of where items are located. I'm a simple man and if I can visualize it as if I were looking at the actual wiring I understand it better.
HTH.

IMG_20140424_235953_985.jpg

Closeup of the wiring
IMG_20140425_240011_791.jpg

Thank you for that. I am going to double / triple check what i have done to make sure there is no issues with what i did and if i find some issues i will change it out to this.

I mention the fusible links in my diagram, but I am going to use a circuit breaker since fusible links are getting hard to find and expensive. A circuit breaker can be reset and will support the potential loads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom