1985 HJ75 Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Used but much nicer ........ : )
image.jpg

I must be deaf ...........
I'm servicing the BJ74's A/C system today before Summer is upon us and as the engine is idling the mechanic comments that he can hear a bearing going out on one of the engines components. I stand there dumbfounded because all I can hear is the rattling of the 13B-T. The mechanic fetches a 2' screwdriver with a wooden handle and starts listening to each individual component. ( this reminded me of my dad when I was a kid )
As it turns out the bearing in the power steering adjustment pulley is in very bad shape. A new bearing is installed and all is well. ( except for the fact I still can't hear well ) :)

How many klics on the 74?

I better check mine, ~137,000 km. I presume he was able to get a bearing to go inside the tensioner pulley?

I better check mine, ~137,000 km. I presume he was able to get a bearing to go inside the tensioner pulley?

There is actually a large bearing and drives manufacturer in my hometown. They matched the bearing in a matter of minutes.

Cool.

I'll be getting the big screwdriver out tonight. I've got a ~900 mile trip ahead of me next week.

Great, now I'm going to have to check it twice...:flipoff2:

You two fawkers caused my perfectly serviceable PS idler pully bearing to rattle like a coffee can full of marbles......:flipoff2:

By the way the original bearing is an NSK 6301DU2.

I will be locating one tomorrow to replace the sick one in mine.........

When you turn
You two fawkers caused my perfectly serviceable PS idler pully bearing to rattle like a coffee can full of marbles......:flipoff2:

By the way the original bearing is an NSK 6301DU2.

I will be locating one tomorrow to replace the sick one in mine.........

I can hear it squealing from here. :)

I attended a local parade yesterday ( Southerners love parades ) and I decided to post this photo of the collection of Model A Fords so Wayne could reminisce about his teenage years. :lol:
image.jpg

For those of y'all who think we Southerners are over the Civil War,
image.jpg
here is evidence that we are discreetly rearming.

humm, :hmm:
starting to sound like a bunch of hypochondriacs :idea:

In most cases I would agree with you Wayne. In this case the bearing really was failing. I'm glad I looked. :lol:

In most cases I would agree with you Wayne. In this case the bearing really was failing. I'm glad I looked. :lol:

Your hearing is obviously superior to mine. :)

Not exactly.

I actually loosened the belt and then spun the pulley by hand. That inspection should be put on the annual I think.

Not exactly.

I actually loosened the belt and then spun the pulley by hand. That inspection should be put on the annual I think.

I would add rust inspection / prevention to the annual event. While removing some small dents on the BJ74 and repainting those areas we discovered some minor corrosion behind the passengers front mud flap. If it had not been discovered it most likely would have gotten worse.

Agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom