4Runner...what do I need to know? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

aaronrules

Coolest person you know!
Threads
So the wife and I have been thinking about getting rid of her Honda Odyssey. Too much money is what it boils down too. My thought is to get her a 4Runner, I have an LX470 built out and I love it as my daily driver. I don't know too much about 4Runners though. Looking at a 05' SR5 with the V8. Anything we should be looking out for in 4Runners?

05 would be 4th Gen I believe. I don't know much about the generation other than the chasis and drivetrain share a lot with the FJ and GX platforms. I have several nonMUD friends that have them and they love them. Aftermarket is pretty good since they do share some FJ DNA. Maybe someothers can chime in on them. For some additional reading you might check out Toyota4Runner.org. They have a little better base of 4runner folks. There may be a "things to know" sticky in the 5th gen secrion.

You may want to look into a 4.0L V6 4Runner for her. A bit better gas mileage and timing chain (instead of the timing belt). Overall, solid vehicles. 03-04 V6's were 4-speed, then in 05+ went to 5-speed. All V8's from 03+ were 5-speeds, with a slight bump in power in 06 from VVTI (same as 100's). Some V6's had HG issues (search for this), but not that many.

So I would get an 05+ V6. I like the sport edition with the hood scoop (and XREAS), but SR5 and Limited are nice as well. They all have ATRAC like your 100 and really wheels about the same. Think of it as a mini-LC.

Another rig to look at is the GX470, which is a lux version of the 4Runner V8. Interestingly, the pricing seems to be very close to the 4Runner on the used market.

Looking online, it actually looks like the V8s are cheaper than V6s are. Just a couple MPG's difference between the two. I wonder why they are listed significantly cheaper!?

Looking online, it actually looks like the V8s are cheaper than V6s are. Just a couple MPG's difference between the two. I wonder why they are listed significantly cheaper!?

I think most people want the extra MPG from the V6's. The 4.7L is a great engine as you already know. But it does need a timing belt change every 90-100k and 2 extra spark plugs, so that could be an additional detractor.

If you're good with the MPG of the V8, look hard at a GX470, especially if your wife will be driving it. The comfort level is significantly better than the 4Runner. Better ride, sound insulation, etc. Plus she won't despise you for being the only one in the family with a Lexus. :D

We will be taking a trip to the Tulsa zoo tomorrow. Probably swing by Carmax and see what they will give on her Honda Odyssey. If they give us enough, then we will more than likely be in the market for either the 4Runner or GX.

...via IH8MUD app

Just keep in mind you might have issues with fitting 16" wheels on either the Sports Edition or Limited if it has the oversize rotor. I found this out the hard way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom