Fj60 diesel conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's everyone's thoughts on the links and coilovers? I have some guys telling me its the best thing I could do and some saying it is horrible down the road and freeway. Any input on this would be awesome

Coilovers and links, or air struts and links, will perform better, in all scenarios, if set up properly. Link suspension design is not something to mess around with, especially if you're going to be driving on the road.

Do your research before you start in on a link swap. If you do it right, you'll love it.

What did you do for front springs to handle the Cummins and what are your rear springs? And do the get axle wrap?

And suspension wise I am more then satisfied with my setup now I have always thought just a bit longer up front with a shackle reversal and I would never change it from there. I just wanna know if I am getting out of hand with the link idea

What did you do for front springs to handle the Cummins and what are your rear springs? And do the get axle wrap?

I do get axle wrap, on both axles! I am building a Trac bar for the rear and putting fj60 rear Springs up front to help deal with the wrap.

The 4bt is similar in weight to a 2f. I didn't do anything in particular to the front end for the motor conversion.

And suspension wise I am more then satisfied with my setup now I have always thought just a bit longer up front with a shackle reversal and I would never change it from there. I just wanna know if I am getting out of hand with the link idea

You're not getting out of hand with the link idea, not at all! I am still dreaming of it.

I do get axle wrap, on both axles! I am building a Trac bar for the rear and putting fj60 rear Springs up front to help deal with the wrap.

The 4bt is similar in weight to a 2f. I didn't do anything in particular to the front end for the motor conversion.

You're not getting out of hand with the link idea, not at all! I am still dreaming of it.
Maybe I will continue with the links. I am just dying to get this pig driving around again. My buddy has a really awesome off road shop so he is giving me a killer deal on a link kit on the condition of using mine to design the kit for 60s I will be said and done front and rear 3 grand

Like I said, just make sure to do the links right! Do your research on lengths, separation and angles. If you do it right, you'll be happy.

Like I said, just make sure to do the links right! Do your research on lengths, separation and angles. If you do it right, you'll be happy.
Thanks for the advice Johnny!

Long, flat, triangulation, lots of separation, keep your panhard as flat as you can, make sure panhard and draglink are parallel. Opposing panhards. Should be good to go! But hey, go play with the calculator if you want.

Long, flat, triangulation, lots of separation, keep your panhard as flat as you can, make sure panhard and draglink are parallel. Opposing panhards. Should be good to go! But hey, go play with the calculator if you want.
Thank you! I have come to the conclusion for now its leafs front and rear until I replenish the cash to link it.

Thank you! I have come to the conclusion for now its leafs front and rear until I replenish the cash to link it.

That's the exact same thing I'm doing.

That's the exact same thing I'm doing.
Are you running 1tons? (Sorry if I have already asked you this) I was wondering how stock would hold up along with h55f and Cummins in stock form

Are you running 1tons? (Sorry if I have already asked you this) I was wondering how stock would hold up along with h55f and Cummins in stock form

I am in the midst of a front Dana 60 swap now and I've had a 14 bolt in the rear for about a year.

Would the H55 hold up behind a 6BT? Maybe, but I wouldn't invest in the adapters for that experiment. Behind a 4BT? Absolutely, assuming you were light on the skinny pedal and had an anti-wrap bar.

I am in the midst of a front Dana 60 swap now and I've had a 14 bolt in the rear for about a year.

Would the H55 hold up behind a 6BT? Maybe, but I wouldn't invest in the adapters for that experiment. Behind a 4BT? Absolutely, assuming you were light on the skinny pedal and had an anti-wrap bar.
I think I might take the gamble. Stock power numbers my 6.5 had more torque and horse. We all know the Cummins is a few turns of the fuel screw away from 600 ft pounds. But being stock I believe it should handle it. Most of my wheeling is dry non muddy rocks being I live in Utah. (2 1/2 hours from moab) I usually let the rig crawl everything itself. I think I will run it like this and build my 1 tons while I enjoy my rig and then once their done swap them in. It might be a dumb idea. But I think its worth the roll of the dice especially being I have a ranger OD so I just need a Cummins to Chevy adapter plate which works out great if it doesn't work out because my nv4500 is a Chevy one from behind my 6.5 so it would litteraly be a bolt in deal aside from remaking the cross member

Be aware that the Ranger OD has an advertised torque limit of 420ft/lbs. That's at, if not below, the stock power rating of a 6BT (depending on the year), and close to the stock torque output of a 4BT.

I would not run a Ranger unless absolutely necessary.

EDIT:

Depending on the year of your Chevy NV4500, you can swap the input out for a Dodge input, then run a dodge flywheel housing, flywheel, clutch and bellhousing, that will bolt up to your tranny.

EDIT2:
Updated for correct torque limit of ranger OD.
http://www.advanceadapters.com/tech-vault/ranger-overdrive/

Last edited:
Be aware that the Ranger OD has an advertised torque limit of 400ft/lbs. That's at, if not below, the stock power rating of a 6BT (depending on the year), and close to the stock torque output of a 4BT.

I would not run a Ranger unless absolutely necessary.

EDIT:

Depending on the year of your Chevy NV4500, you can swap the input out for a Dodge input, then run a dodge flywheel housing, flywheel, clutch and bellhousing, that will bolt up to your tranny.
I have looked into that. And I have the correct year to swap input shafts. I didn't know the ranger was only rated for that. Thanks johnny you just saved my ass. The 6bt puts out more then that stock easily. I guess I will continue with the original idea. I'm just missing that thing and want it done soon. But I wanna do it right so lately everything has just been research of covering my basis

I did get this progress done yesterday on getting the 12 valve out. My buddies engine hoist broke yesterday so it didn't get pulled but is 100 ready to come out. I am taking mine down today to pull it out and start the engine work. These 70 hour weeks are really killing my time to work on everything

1398357622034.jpg

1398357633094.jpg

1398357643148.jpg

I have looked into that. And I have the correct year to swap input shafts. I didn't know the ranger was only rated for that. Thanks johnny you just saved my ass. The 6bt puts out more then that stock easily. I guess I will continue with the original idea. I'm just missing that thing and want it done soon. But I wanna do it right so lately everything has just been research of covering my basis

Research, or lack thereof, is what makes or breaks a quality end product!!!

Reference for ranger overdrive. Limit is 420 ft/lbs, not 400 (sorry):

http://www.advanceadapters.com/tech-vault/ranger-overdrive/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom