Meet my new DD, "Marty McFly" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if the tunes drown out the tires. I'm heading to the bank today with a rather large check for a Tundra payoff. Glad to be out from under that sucker!!!

I wonder if who did the oil pan before meesed up the block and that's why there's a leak...I did that to mine and still need to fix it, just don't wanna deal with dropping the dif yet if it's that. An I understand that with the tires, I just got a set of bighorns from a guy and the front were worn weird and I did that switch and it made them quiter.

I think the rubber gasket may have been pushed back a bit when I did the cover. The hole isn't lined up which I why I couldn't get the bolt back in. I'm going to stick something up in the hole and see if I can adjust the gasket a little bit and get the bolt started. I'm also going to squeeze some FIPG in between the gasket and the block/cover.

Well, oil pan leak repair was a major fail. Put a bunch of FIPG on there, tightened the bolts, let it sit, fired it up and it was immediately dripping again. :bang:

So I think the rubber gasket is pinched. I put FIPG on the bottom of the cover where it meets the gasket but I didn't put it around the edge where it meets the engine. So since I slid the front along the gasket I am thinking the FIPG got pushed back AWAY from where it actually needed to go.

'85+ engines aren't supposed to have a gasket, just FIPG. Pan isn't formed to work with a gasket.

No need to drop the front diff to re-seal the pan. Unbolt the engine mounts, lift it up, pull the pan out.

'85+ engines aren't supposed to have a gasket, just FIPG. Pan isn't formed to work with a gasket.

No need to drop the front diff to re-seal the pan. Unbolt the engine mounts, lift it up, pull the pan out.

Yeah I thought about doing that but was already having enough of a struggle working at the house. Didn't have a lot of the tools I needed and stuff. Easier just to let the guys at work handle it.

Well, drove in this morning with the radio blasting. Still not enough to drown out the tires. Also, gonna have to do something about the tires soon. Got a bad death wobble going down the interstate this morning. A guy that works here has a set of wheels I'm going to get from him. He's going to bring them tomorrow so I'll get somebody to swap the tires to them and balance them. Going to put the best ones on the front and hope that is good enough to get me by until I can get some tires.

It'll take a bit to get all the little issues sorted out but it'll make a good ride in the end. I chuckle about your tires, I put a new set of cheapys on my 86 a year ago, the rate I'm going they will still be new next year.

Between here and there

Getting there!

Looks like I'm going to be able to get the guys to do the oil pan tomorrow as well.

Doesn't it have to be driven tomorrow for that to happen :hmm:

Doesn't it have to be driven tomorrow for that to happen :hmm:

Same point the wifey made. I'm going to wait till I can swap the tires off the 80 since it's super scary on the highway right now.

Well glad to hear it's running and not mixing fluids on you. Your tires sound like the bald 35" mickey thompsons I had on an 84 extracab when I was in college. at exactly 42mph I would get a horrible death wobble and slowing down from there at about 25 the whole back of the truck would shake up and down. Over 50 it was actually fine. Once these old trucks are sorted out they are pretty bulletproof though. As slow as they are I kinda miss driving them. One of these days I'll do something with my 89.

Well ol' Marty is going into the shop Monday for some 31x10.50 Cooper Discoverer AT3s and to get the oil pan gasket fixed. I'm going to put a pre-86 pan gasket on since the pan is probably deformed from having the rubber gasket on there. Then it's back to daily duty since the 80 I bought is going right up far sale.

With those checked off he should be good to go. Can't remember if you've covered it but does the AC work? Also looking forward to a road report on those AT3's, I almost put a set on the runner.

Last edited:
The AC does NOT work unfortunately. There was no AC belt installed when I got it and the fins on the condenser look to be in pretty bad shape. I may throw a belt on there and just see if it will charge and see if the compressor works. I'm thinking at minimum it will need a condenser though.

Sam, have you ever ridden in a torsion bar 4wd Toyota? They ride pretty crappy compared to most things you're used to so I wonder if that is more of where the bad ride is coming from and the tires are mostly just a noise issue. As well, both my 87 and my 88 had constant issues with idler arms causing death wobble so just something to keep in mind if the new tires don't completely fix it (which I suspect they won't). Truck needs to be in the air to more easily find that problem though. Just some things to check or to mention to your techs when they have it on the lift. Good luck. I love that truck; black, xcab 2nd gens are the quintessential Toyota truck to me. (That's the first one I ever owned though, so maybe just I'm biased)

I am 100% positive the tires won't completely fix it. But I am also positive that they are trashed. You can visibly see the cupping and uneven wear. So, that's my starting point. It probably also needs an idler and a stabilizer.

And yeah I know these trucks ride pretty rough. I suspect this one has had the bars cranked up too so it will be esp bad!

Sneak peek:

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom