1966 FJ45LV Rejuvenation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Expensive... but maybe not-so-much once you add up all the other gauges and the TIME to make it all work...

Yea, I'm sure by the time you total parts and time you will be there. Given their reputation I would think you would be ahead. I will likely go with it myself.

The Classic Instruments Speedo/Tach in my photoshop mock up costs $600... I guess the Dakota Digital is not so bad after all...

Maybe I'll need to see if the stock gauges can work... that are after all, as stock looking as you can get!

The plan, at the moment, is to pay an outfit to come here and glass blast the whole thing in and out. I will do some more research on glass vs soda as far as danger of warpage. I'd LIKE to get the body off of the frame and all of the glass out (interior etc etc too of course) for that and get them to do the frame at the same time... they will come to my place to do it. I MAY decide to trailer the stuff to them to keep the neighbors and wife happier.

Once that is done I'll know what I've got.

I planned to blast mine myself. Had done some smaller stuff so thought no big deal to do the bigger items. But then once I started to tackle the larger pieces, I realized how long it was going to take me and how much of a mess I was making. I ended up taking many of the pieces to a "guy" who does media blasting this as a hobby of sorts. Not his #1 business but does a lot of hot rod car bodies, etc for extra cash. Was well worth the cost of having soneone else do it. He used garnet on mine. All turned out well. No warpage but I think he had enough experience to know what not to do.

Suggest being ready to coat all the blasted parts in a sealer, etc once you get it back.

NOW what have I done...

image.jpeg

image copy 3.jpeg

image copy 2.jpeg

image copy.jpeg

The plan, at the moment, is to pay an outfit to come here and glass blast the whole thing in and out. I will do some more research on glass vs soda as far as danger of warpage.

Soda will not remove any rust, not even surface rust. Works great on paint and will not hurt rubber trim, but expect to remove any rust with a separate process if you go Soda.

I have the attached auto as a fall back but I have an H151 5 speed manual with bell housing etc etc inbound, it should be here Wednesday. I am thinking of going with a Spitronics ECU and harness to make my life easier - I am not of the mind to sort through the stock harness to try to get it to work... Those are the plans anyway, we shall see.

I drove an FJ40 with a 2UZ recently and it is one smooth power plant...

Wow, an FJ40 w a 2UZ, now that is cool. Was it auto or manual? I'm not familiar w Spitronics, I'll look it up. I agree, dealing w the ECU and wiring is what is keeping me away from this sort of project, but I feel like the LV is going to need some power to make it a livable beast. The 2F is strong, but just not up to modern day use in the urban jungle.

My thoughts exactly. I want to be able to run up the entrance ramp on a highway, up a grade, and be able to merge without using my flashers!

The FJ40 has a custom built bell housing to an H55 transmission. I think in the end the H151 will not be any more expensive.

The Spitronics will cost $1000 delivered I think but will save me MANY hours of sorting the harness and stressing about if I can get it to all run. This is what "my guy" in South Africa had to say:
"... i will program it with a start up map so it will fire first time..."
The "kit" will include all sorts of stuff to make this as plug-n-play as possible.

I have the attached auto as a fall back but I have an H151 5 speed manual with bell housing etc etc inbound, it should be here Wednesday. I am thinking of going with a Spitronics ECU and harness to make my life easier - I am not of the mind to sort through the stock harness to try to get it to work... Those are the plans anyway, we shall see.

I drove an FJ40 with a 2UZ recently and it is one smooth power plant...

Where'd you get that H151 from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom