My new soon to be DD! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm back. Things were moving along nicely till I realized some of the accessory brackets mount via some of the timing cover bolts. Now here is my issue: my brand new timing cover bolts aren't long enough to go through my A/C bracket? Any suggestions?

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1397129834.106979.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Hmmm... new bolts from the dealer with the location guide should fit perfectly. Did they use your VIN? Bolts may be different if you have AC or not.

When I read your post I remembered the A/C was done as an after market addition. So there is my issue. Gotta see if I can match up the old longer bolts. Worked yesterday and my wife took me to Barrett Jackson today pretty cool but wet! Back to wrenching tomorrow.

...via IH8MUD app

Ok fellas I have some probably dumb questions for ya. 1. I bought a LCE header that said its a direct replacement. Header fits perfect except for what I call the extension pipe? The piece between the header and cat. It's to long for my setup? Any body have a similar issue?

2. I also picked up a '82 AFM and my question is do you know where I can find some brackets to brace it up after I install a cone filter? Or are there any tricks?

PS: timing cover bolt issue was resolved.

...via IH8MUD app

2. I also picked up a '82 AFM and my question is do you know where I can find some brackets to brace it up after I install a cone filter? Or are there any tricks?

1982 AFM? Really?

The supra AFM mod? Am I correct that this is good mod to do? Or am I an idiot?

...via IH8MUD app

My guess is the extension pipe is generic and shipped long so that it can be cut to fit. They probably ship the same pipe with extra cabs and other LWB trucks. I say bolt it to the header, mark where to cut and then if you need to, have a flange welded onto the end for the cat to connect to.

If it has a flange welded on and it is still to long then they shipped you the wrong pipe for your application. If it is plain ended, cut to fit.

Ok. Had a pretty productive day. Buddy of mine got my new injector plugs installed. Finally got the oil pan off!! Good grief that was a pain in the arse! Good thing I did though...here is what I found:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1397513613.858436.jpg

Edit: the exhaust pipe extension will have to be modified.

...via IH8MUD app

Nice archeological collection. Looks like the remains of the stock timing chain guides to me. I'm pretty sure that Toyota designed them to disintegrate like that. I replaced them once with the metal guides, but snapped the timing chain shortly after. I never saw the engine again, as I was too far from home to do much. My last re-build I went with the stock guides again. Lots of people will chime in about using the metal guides, but I'm not convinced. I can send brand new metal guides for the price of shipping.

It is the remains of my stock plastic guides. Thanks for the offer but I already have the steel guides. Made more progress today. Oil pan is back on and painted along with misc plugs and hoses. I got a little aggressive and sheared one of the cold start injector bolts off. Doh! Any how I feel I'm over the hill. Down side is a couple of parts I got from my parts guy are not correct or are missing a part. Hope to be done by the time I take off for work.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1397601775.687149.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1397601791.276599.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1397601805.932829.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Well I thought my truck would be running by now but as luck would have it as I poured coolant into my radiator it poured out the bottom. After that I cleaned my tools, closed the hood, & made a drink. Leave tomorrow for two weeks. Things to do when I get back:

1. Fix radiator that didn't leak before tear down!

2. Change out power steering pulley tensioner bearing.

3. Start engine..

4. ...possibly pour another drink.

...via IH8MUD app

Well this is not an update. But thought I would share with my Nascar peeps out there that I just ran into Geoff Bodine. Really nice guy. Also I'm looking to purchase a 86' M/T SR5 gauge cluster. Please PM me if you have one for sale. Thanks

Update time...things I have done in the past few days:

1. Install SR5 gauge cluster (thanks pappy).
2. Repair large coolant leak.
3. Repair fuel leak.
4. Found another coolant leak.
5. Fired it up but timing is off? Followed everything to a tee. Maybe a vacuum line?
6. Installed '82 supra afm mod with specter air filter.

Gonna research the timing issue but any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1399486904.330179.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1399487621.925145.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

First glance, your charcoal canister is hooked up wrong. It should be hooked up to the throttle body.

I might do the battery/intake swap down the road but not for now.

Pappy I'll check that tomorrow but I thought I had all the vacuum lines right but you never know. I'll consult my bible tomorrow.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1399514152.270089.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

I'm trying to look close, but I can't tell if the third port on the TB goes to the canister or not. Did you route the hose between the plenum and the head?

Ok so I found two vacuum lines that where in correct going to the EGR vacuum modulator so I swapped them. I also put the original AFM back in. So that helped a lot! She still has a slight miss/backfire to her. I'm wondering if it is just a valve adjustment as my valves are pretty loud (adjusted them cold after putting everything together)? Also I don't have a cat or muffler hooked up yet. Gonna do valves first then try and finish the exhaust.

Thanks

...via IH8MUD app

Finish up the exhaust and then let the truck get up to temp. Re-adjust the valves hot then see where you're at.

Ok exhaust is on and brought the engine up to operating temp. Valves are pretty loud in my opinion and there is still a little back firing? I can try and post a video if that would help. Gonna let it cool a little bit then adjust the valves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom