05' an up tacoma with 285/75r16's and ome suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought a new taco dbl cab 4x4 and it's already mod time. I'm running old man emu on my 80 and love it. I wanted to know what people think of the ome on their taco's. I'm a little concerned to get high enough to clear the 285's it will be very stiff. Any thought? Pic?

...via IH8MUD app

Hey buddy, as long as it's not a body lift it should make the ride any rougher, but do beware of the hight. I was not informed of this but I bout a 99 Tacoma with a coil over leveling kit and then added a 3" suspension spacer up front and suspension block in back. Apparently after you go over that 3 inch mark you start having front axle troubles and will need to get your CV axles and or boots replace annually. So you will need to get some after market boots as well.
That's why I joined the forum but it says I'm not allowed to post anything for some reason. Just a fair warning.

OME is a popular choice. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about them on a 2nd gen. You'll need at least 2.5" to clear 285s and at that point most choose to also throw in aftermarket UCAs to get proper alignment. Definitely at 3"+. You'll also need wheel spacers and fender trimming. On these you need to chop the body mount to clear the tires at turn. A bit more work to clear 285s then on a first gen but they look sick! Check out Tacomaworld. There's more lift tech there than you'll ever need.

You shouldn't need to chop the body mount for 285's. There will be some trimming of the plastic inside the fender wells, but nothing more than that. As far as stiffness, I guess it depends. They have different spring rates (as I recall) to handle different weight amounts on the front end. If you run a steel bumper, a winch, dual batteries, etc., you'll have to get stiffer springs to carry that weight. But I don't think it'll be worse than stock unless you choose the heaviest duty springs they offer but don't have the weight to support it.
For the rear end, if you get a full leaf pack upgrade the ride will be great. If you get a block or even an AAL it'll stiffen up a bit.

Cerra Gordo Trip 062.JPG
You could also get a 285x70x16 or 17 tire. Little wider and bout maybe a inch shorter.

Last edited:
get-attachment 8.jpg

I run Bilstein adjustable shocks in the front, with stock springs, set at the 3rd notch up from the bottom. Also run Allpro exposition springs on the rear to handle the added load of camping gear. With Irok ND super swamper tires, size 285x70x17. You're looking at maybe a 1/2 inch difference. Kevin.

Based on experience with my 2009 TRD OR DC, I would not install a full OME suspension. I originally ran OME including Dakar leaf packs, I ended up replacing the front coilovers with Kings and replacing the rear shocks with Kings. I kept the Dakar leaf packs. I run 285/75/16 BFG ATs and you will need to do the front body chop, otherwise you will rub, usually in full compression while the wheel is turned at max. Let me know if you have any questions.

FN FJ -

They are expensive. I had the heavy suspension (2886 Front Coils and Sport front struts) setup on the Tacoma and quite frankly despite the fact that I had more than adequate weight the ride was anything but good. Having come from a very heavy 80 series...I expected more from the OME suspension but, it just wasn't there. There rear Dakar leaf springs are great (I'm running a rear bumper with dual swing-outs) and kept them when I went with King. I decided on King after looking extensively at the Icon solutions and others. I went with Kings because they are highly reliable and you can purchase various "weight" springs. I originally went with their 600lb springs but, upgraded shortly thereafter to their 700lb springs. The ride is fantastic and in my opinion is better than a comparable Icon. I feel there is less body roll and the rebound is super. I like to minimize body roll when offroad - so, to me the Kings were the winner. They aren't cheap but, I go for the "buy once - cry once" routine. I have about 15k miles on my Kings and they are holding up great...no issues thus far. A mix of highway, city, and offroad.

9018694095_e9a88ff441_o.jpg

8865924319_1dfe731753_o.jpg

- Mark

FN FJ -

They are expensive. I had the heavy suspension (2886 Front Coils and Sport front struts) setup on the Tacoma and quite frankly despite the fact that I had more than adequate weight the ride was anything but good. Having come from a very heavy 80 series...I expected more from the OME suspension but, it just wasn't there. There rear Dakar leaf springs are great (I'm running a rear bumper with dual swing-outs) and kept them when I went with King. I decided on King after looking extensively at the Icon solutions and others. I went with Kings because they are highly reliable and you can purchase various "weight" springs. I originally went with their 600lb springs but, upgraded shortly thereafter to their 700lb springs. The ride is fantastic and in my opinion is better than a comparable Icon. I feel there is less body roll and the rebound is super. I like to minimize body roll when offroad - so, to me the Kings were the winner. They aren't cheap but, I go for the "buy once - cry once" routine. I have about 15k miles on my Kings and they are holding up great...no issues thus far. A mix of highway, city, and offroad.

9018694095_e9a88ff441_o.jpg

8865924319_1dfe731753_o.jpg

- Mark

So you would recommend a 700# spring with the weight of the bumper and winch? Which is in my future, one piece at a time. Kevin

I'd recommend a 600lb spring if you're going to run a bumper and winch. I'd go 700lb if you're going to run dual batteries, winch, bumper, skids, sliders, etc. I never judge the weight solely on what's hanging off the front of the vehicle - I look at the overall weight and plan accordingly. All that weight in the middle (sliders, skids, etc.) is distributed to the rear and front and I basically account for what type of spring to run based on the overall weight. I usually build heavier "overland" style vehicles with all the goodies - so, they end up being heavy. I'll see what my truck weighs - maybe get it on a scale this weekend and report back.

I can tell you my Land Cruiser was 6,700lbs. But, it was probably one of the heaviest builds out there - African Outback drawers (fully loaded), Milford Half Barrier, Power Tank, ARB Fridge, Dual Swing-out Rear Bumper, Rear Ladder, 35's, INTI Roof Rack, Aux Fuel Tank, Sliders, IPOR Skids, Warn M12000, ARB Bumper, Snorkel, Super Charger, Dual Batteries, Water Tank, etc.

My bet would be that my Tacoma is pushing 5,000lbs. But, it may be a little lighter than that.

I decided to go with bilstein 5100's and eibach coils in the front and add a leaf in the rear. I'm very pleased so far.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1400976871.396966.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom