Builds "Pearl" - GX470 for the princess... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I love my ASFIRs, good choice!

I am thinking a CO trip is in order, that is amazing!

I am thinking a CO trip is in order, that is amazing!

We'll be out there most of July 2014, including attending the FJ Summit again!

Short-term plans are:
Light Racing UCA's

How are they holding up?

I'm thinking of buying a set but I don't see any new threads just old ones of people complaining about the bad bushings. Supposedly they have upgraded the bushings in their new stock of UCAs.

I have zero bushing issues, or at least none that I can see. I DO have a clunk/thump that is present with EVERY tiny road bump (driveway aprons, road seams, etc, regardless of speed) that I haven't yet chased down...I've re-re-re-checked every suspension bolt/point and can't narrow it down. Hope to have the shop hoist free next week to again check everything over.

you checked you sway bar end links? I had that same persistent clunk and it was the end link.

you checked you sway bar end links? I had that same persistent clunk and it was the end link.

Will put that on the list, tkx :)

Challenging part is, Heather is the primary driver, and these "noises" aren't noticed by her...I drove the car more over the holidays and I get "what noise? I don't hear anything..." as I'm pointing out things I hear or feel that aren't quite right...

Now to convince her to drive the FZJ80 for a day-two next week...yea...haha

I would check the nitrogen level on the coilovers, if they are low or have no pressure they will make a clunk noise. You will need the special needle system used for snow mobiles, motorcycles, etc since Radflo doesn't use a Schroeder valve on IFP shocks/coilovers.

I have also had an incident where the sway bar was barely contacting the edge of the coil spring on the coilovers. The pigtail end of the coilover was pointed out towards the sway bar and was hitting the very tip of it, I rotated the spring 180* and resolved the issue.

My aluminum skid plates like to creak and moan and thunk as they flex under steering or frame flex, be thankful :)

I would check the nitrogen level on the coilovers, if they are low or have no pressure they will make a clunk noise. You will need the special needle system used for snow mobiles, motorcycles, etc since Radflo doesn't use a Schroeder valve on IFP shocks/coilovers.

I have also had an incident where the sway bar was barely contacting the edge of the coil spring on the coilovers. The pigtail end of the coilover was pointed out towards the sway bar and was hitting the very tip of it, I rotated the spring 180* and resolved the issue.

There is no visible point of contact, nor is there anywhere where the surface grime on the sway bar or coilover is worn away...and the end links appear fine...will re-check all on the hoist next week (in the warm shop, not the chilly garage)

Nitrogen pressure would make sense...I've got the correct needle in my nitrogen kit at the shop, easy enough to check/re-charge...what pressure should they be at? 180? 200?

And yes, my skids make occasional noise when it's being wheeled, but not running around town :) I'm considering a thin neoprene or poly fender washer between the skid/frame at all the attachment points to see if that fixes the occasional creak.

Emailed Radflo at their "general" email addy...and Glenn responded...gota love it when the owner handles these :)

250psi is correct, and recommended to have the shocks fully extended too.

Emailed Radflo at their "general" email addy...and Glenn responded...gota love it when the owner handles these :)

Even better to call and ask for Glenn and be immediately put through, without having to navigate the moat that surrounds most ( myself included), or for Glenn to call on a Saturday night, in response to a my email, regarding my own miscalculations.

Good guy who cares about his company and there's something to be said for that.

The new Front Runner roof rack and of course my pink Maxtrax. Can't wait for our first trip so we can put this great rack to use!

IMG_20140422_175328_330.jpg
IMG_20140422_175301_876.jpg
IMG_20140422_175245_131.jpg
IMG_20140422_175306_426.jpg

Your wife's rig just keeps getting better and better! Does the rack use the stock mounting holes or is drilling required? Bought those Six Shooter wheels after seeing this thread. Very pleased with the service I got from FN Wheels.

How do you like that Smitty Built air pump?

They JUST made new mountings for the rack that only requires the OEM holes...the original mount was a little more flexible, but required 3-4 nutzerts be drilled in....not on her baby :)

We installed and ran for a couple days without the supplied air dam...WOAH...seriously noisy...added those two small air dam pieces below the front edge of the rack and viola: no wind noise Amazing how well they work, for as simple as they are.

We've yet to break the air pump...so, no complaints :)

We've yet to break the air pump...so, no complaints :)

After looking at some of the higher priced pumps, I decided to go with the Smitty Built. Seems like a solid pump. I deflated a 285/70/17 to 25psi using an ARB E-Z Deflator. The Smitty Built took about 4.5 minutes to reflate to 55 psi. Not bad. The pump didn't appear to be straining at all. Air hose is more than long enough to reach the right-rear tire.

Last edited:
ordering some six shooters :)

You mentioned early in the build you were going to match all the accessories to the gunmetal wheels which I think is cool. Have you added sliders yet and do you plan to leave the rack black?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom