Yet another CDN m101 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lid ordered

just ordered a lid for the trailer today. i used the plans from another member here and when asked if they were inside or outside dimensions i figured i'd better go measure myself. thankfully i did as my measurements were in some cases almost two inches off of the ones i was just going to use. i had no idea that these trailers would be that different. i suppose over the few years they were built they may have changed a little. i did leave a little wiggle room in my measurements so it's not a snug fit but not so much that the lid leaks and rattles. i have hinges from northern tool for it as well as a tail gait that i hope to build this fall. i need to get some welding gas first off so i can weld the lid together (it's just being bent by a metal fab shop). should have it by next week to start working on. now i need to find some good latches and the right paint for the job!! its beginning.

i'll post some pictures when i get it.

Pretty jealous you north of the border folks can still get these.....

There is one up on closed bid right now by the way over in expedition portal, in the expedition trailer section.

It is in Medicine Hat.

I had a friend in the right place ship it to me in a transport so it cost nothing. shipping is so cost prohibitive!

well I picked up the lid today. I was supposed to pay $265 +tax for it to be bent and I'd weld it up. I showed up and paid $250 cash. when I went to pick it up in the yard here is what I got

image-2513294077.jpg

all welded beautifully. fits like a glove. I was a little disappointed at first I wouldn't get to weld it with my new mig but there lost of other stuff on my welding list so really I'm ok with it. it's way better than I'd do anyway. I have e hinges ready. just need to find the right latches and lift struts.

one thing I would warn against with anyone else getting one built. dont use anyone else's measurements. go measure your own. I originally did and the guy asked me if they were inside or outside dimensions. I didn't know so went and measured my own exact trailer. it was in inch shorter in some dimensions and wider in others. there must have been some box variability over the years. I'm glad I gave him my own measurements because it really is perfect. I left 1/4 inch on each side for some play room and wouldn't change a thing!

image-2513294077.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty jealous you north of the border folks can still get these.....

There is one up on closed bid right now by the way over in expedition portal, in the expedition trailer section.

It is in Medicine Hat.

I'm pretty jealous of the general parts prices you guys have. :) some things here cost 4 times what you pay south of the border but as for these trailers were are lucky to still find some in good shape!

$250 is one smoking deal! Same looking steel lid w/hinges and struts set me back $900 here in SoCal.

I'm looking for a mud member who would do me a favour. I want to buy three McMaster-Carr toggle clamps (two for my trailer and one for my bumper) but they won't ship them to canada for personal use. I can't find similar clamps here so am asking someone in the states to buy them for me and then ship them here after the purchase has been made. if you can get a quote then I'll send a paypal or email transfer to you before the order gets placed so you know you won't be out any money. I can the send a second payment to cover the cost of re shipping then to me or whatever works best. they won't even allow me to send them to a US address knowing they will end up here. I really like the clamps they offer so am willing to pay a little extra to get the right ones for my build. if there are any takers please pm me and I can get you the details. thanks mud members!

I'm looking for a mud member who would do me a favour. I want to buy three McMaster-Carr toggle clamps (two for my trailer and one for my bumper) but they won't ship them to canada for personal use. I can't find similar clamps here so am asking someone in the states to buy them for me and then ship them here after the purchase has been made. if you can get a quote then I'll send a paypal or email transfer to you before the order gets placed so you know you won't be out any money. I can the send a second payment to cover the cost of re shipping then to me or whatever works best. they won't even allow me to send them to a US address knowing they will end up here. I really like the clamps they offer so am willing to pay a little extra to get the right ones for my build. if there are any takers please pm me and I can get you the details. thanks mud members!

Where in Canada are you? Have you tried Acklands/Grainger? Greggs Distributors? Toggle clamps are hard to find, but not impossible. And from the McMaster website, certainly not any more expensive.

got a couple from acklands but can't get these specific ones. Gregg's doesn't sell them. I've looked :) I'm in saskatoon saskatchewan

I see you're from ladysmith. I had a good friend who lived there. not often you hear that name where I live!

I got a second credit card from RBC and registered the billing address just south of the border. Told RBC what I was doing and they did not care. This way the seller does not know I'm CND. Amazing how many websites won't allow you to enter a CND billing address. Just get all my stuff shipped there. The exchange rate is a killer these days.

got a fellow canadian who travels to the states regularly to get me some. destaco had the ones i already got but didn't have equivalents of the three i got from mcmaster-carr. i wanted stainless steel and destaco didn't have that in the size i needed and then one is a right angle clamp and they don't make that one. i'll put some pictures up when i get them. mud members are a great group of people. well done everyone. i know i'll help anyone on here if i can to pay it forward.

finally got the guts to cut my trailer. i'm building a tail gate. got it cut out and i'm going to try to build it with full seals all around to keep it water tight. i've got hinges and latches and all the metal just want to take my time and do it right. used two angle grinders up cutting it!! i'm going to use a 1x1 angle iron along the bottom with hinges on the bottom lip. i can put some flat weather stripping up inside that'll sit on the bed corner when closed. i'll use 1x1 square tubing to frame the tail gate except for along top where it already has some 1x1 on the outside. that way when shovelling /sweeping out the box stuff sweeps out easily. i'll use some up right 1x1 angle iron along the insides that the 1x1 tube of the tail gate will sit against again with flat weather stripping along to seal it. my lid will then seal the top. hope it works as i am well on my way!!
IMG_7029.JPG

tail gate cut out
IMG_7031.JPG

metal being preped to weld the bed to the rear cross member
IMG_7239.JPG

rear bed welded and ground. now coated with weld through primer to keep the rust at bay until i get it finally coated
IMG_7242.JPG

frame of the tail gate tacked up for fitting. i have a little work left on the trailer side to do before i can do finally fitting. (yes that is my 40 frame being used as a welding table. I'm waiting for some parts so I can carry on with that build)
IMG_7028.JPG

the casualties of the project. glad i had a bunch of cheap grinders laying around that i could keep going with the project. i burned another one out cutting brackets off my 40. i'll say that they've each had about 10 solid hours of heavy grinding on them in their lives. now i invested in a 7 amp grinder that should hold up to the smaller projects i have now. all my heavy cutting is done. hopefully!!

Last edited:
Look forward to more progress pics. When I had my lid built I contemplated a tailgate and was quoted $650 from the fab shop that did the lid. Decided against it, although to this day think it would be a nice to have. Had read too much about the potential of the body not being as sturdy, but the $$ is what stopped me. I don't have fab skills.

with out the tail gate the walls are still pretty sturdy. I've used it a couple times around the yard already and a tail gate is so useful!

with out the tail gate the walls are still pretty sturdy. I've used it a couple times around the yard already and a tail gate is so useful!

Yard? We don't have yards big enough in most of Southern California to need a trailer! :) Mine sits in my 3rd bay of my garage packed with camping gear ready to go.

keeping it loaded with camping gear is my plan eventually. I have a 40 acre acreage here in canada. there's lots of space up here so I've got lots of yard crap to move around. we're doing a bunch of landscaping and tree planting! and as for fab skills I'm learning as I go. I have some tools and I'm teaching myself to weld. it probably will take me twice as long as someone with true fab skills but oh well. thats why it took so long for me to get the guts to cut the trailer. it's hard to chop something up that is in such good shape but I really want a tail gate.

Last edited:
got a little more done tonight. i welded the frame on the tail gate but ran out of welding gas as i was running a bead on the inside of the tail gate. i'll get some tomorrow and hopefully finish it up this weekend. we'll see. my welding seems to be improving which i'm happy about. it actually looks good i think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom