Dapper Lighting HIDs for a 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hoping to get some help here. i have an IPF wiring harness set up for my FJ62 and still have crappy low beams. i am also having a little difficulty with the high beam indicator. as i want to make sure that the harness is working right before installing the new HID system i went to test my harness at the headlight to see what kind of voltage i have. the trouble im having is knowing which wire is doing what and which ones do i test the voltage across. here is the harness that came with my hellas. can someone tell me which wire is what? thanks. IMG_4936.jpg incidentally the voltage from the yellow to the white is 11.5V

IMG_4936.jpg

Last edited:
I love the google..

headlite.gif

btw, 11.5v suuuuuccckkkkssss....

measuring yellow to white is the wrong thing to measure I assume. I should be measuring from low to ground should I not?

I found a good mud thread on troubleshoot headlights so that's where I'll be starting now that I have some understanding of what is what. I'm going to disconnect the ipf harness and check out the stock harness. from there we'll see what happens. I'm no electrical wizard so this may takes some time to figure out but it's bugging me enough I'll be getting on it finally. hopefully I can get the HIDs in soon

Last edited:
so now I'm frustrated and confused. I unplugged my IPF harness to check the original harness and with the truck not running get 12.1 V at the low beams. when I hook up the IPF harness I get 5.2 V at the lows and 11.6 at the highs. I took apart all the connectors to check and clean them. I took out the relays and cleaned them all with the same 5.2 V. this is why my low beams suck but I don't know why my new harness is working like a resistor and not a conductor. could I have bad relays? what else would cause this drop. it's all wired up right and I've triple checked it. my high beam indicator doesn't work either when the highs are on. it does work with the IPF harness disconnected though. I have the little wires hooked up as described in the instructions. so I'm at the end of my electrical know how and mad! any help would be appreciated.

Check voltage on either side of the relays.

Well, only a very small number will have power with the lights off. Figure those out. If they have low voltage, then your power issue is between the battery and the relay.

If they have a full 12V then turn the lights on and start checking for continuity through the relay. Generally, the "connections" are across the relay, not next to it.

12527647e9129233622.bmp

slow harness diagnosis

well i still cant figure out why i only have 5v of power at my low beams. i tested my OEM harness and get 12v out of it. i tested the IPF harness at the relay sockets and seem to get power where needed (excpet one circuit i just dont know about). on the IPF m002 harness there are three relays and on the m004 harness one. the 002 has a P2512x relay and 2 P1512x relays. the 004 has one P1512x. the way i understand each relay ( and i am just learning) is that the 30-87 circuit is the switch power (excuse me if i am using wrong terminology) and the 85-86 is the switched circuit. on the P2512x i have 12,2 volts across the 30-87 circuit. there however 0 volts from either the 85/86 to the 30. i assume the 30 is the ground so should complete a circuit from the powered side of the switched (85/86)circuit.

from there i checked the other three P1512x sockets. each had 12.3 volts at the 30-87 and roughly 12 volts at the 85/86 to 30 circuit indicating that there was indeed power at the 85/86 wires. now all these measurements were with the lights off (didn't think at the time to try them then with the lights switched on). here's a schematic of the relays and what voltages i tested. the one with the dot is the P2512x relay.

ipf.jpg

after test i replaced all the relays to see if it was a relay and not the sockets and it made absolutely no difference.

i think the next step to get lights working properly on my daily driver is to get a new 002 harness (my brights therefore 004 harness seem to work fine). i'll then trouble shoot the harness outside the truck when i really have time and then once it's fixed use it on my 40. yeah yeah i could build my own with the knowledge here on mud but i just dont want to put the time into that when i have a 40 to rebuild :)

if anyone has any bright ideas please chime in though before i buy a new harness. should i be getting power across the 85/86 to 30 circuit on my P2512x relay?

ipf.jpg

ok just looked at the diagram again that mace recently posted and it seems as though i misunderstood it. the 85-86 circuit is the switch power and the 87-30 is the switched power. i guess that using my volt meter across the 85-86 showed no voltage as the lights were off. i imagine that this would be different with the switch on. i also therefore competed the switched circuit from the 87-30 then by using the volt meter which would normally be done by switching the relay on. its that right? none the less i seem to have power where power is needed except at the P2512x 85/86 wires when connected to the 30 terminal. (i dont fully understand the 20/40 volt relay that has a 87 and a 87a circuit)

85-86 activate the relay, which in turn provides power across 30-87, some relays have 87a (SPDT). The heavy wires would be attached to 30/87, the trigger wire need not be heavy attached to 85/86. But I'm sure you've figured this out. I believe slcfj62 posted a wiring diagram somewhere, that might come in handy as a reference

so still sorting this lighting issue out and haven't gotten any further. mace if you read this would you clarify something for me? the diagram you posted about the hella wiring (brown-ground, yellow-low, white-high) I read to understand has two power wires and one ground. I assume that when highs are on white is power and when lows are on yellows are power. in toyota with switched grounds both the white and yellow should have full power but it's the ground that changes at the switch, no? by jumping the headlights I can get good power on low and high but can't seem to get the harness to supply this power at the proper time. my next question is does the ipf harness still keep the whole system working as of switched ground system or does the relay system change the lights to switched power? does this make sense?

so I finally got the bloody system working. the harness was ok after all. there were some mixed up wires through the hella harness. I had to figure out on my bulb by jumping it straight from the battery, which was power, which was low ground and which was high ground. in the above diagram from mace the brown wire is actually power not ground and the other two are then grounds (this is for a switched ground system I guess). then I had to sort out which of the wires coming from my harness matched them and wa la they worked and so does my bright indicator. I was making it way more difficult than it really needed to be. I guess it's a good lesson in electrical systems.

now on to the HID install. as per my earlier posts about assembly they all are pretty self explanatory. when it comes to hooking them up to the current harness however they only have a two wire system, a ground and a power. so when I have my low beams on they light up. when the highs are on the ground no longer is switched so the light goes off. there is no provision for keeping the light on with a high beam ground. to solve this issue I had to add a third male end on the dapper lighting plug and splice it into the ground already there. this way when my harness switches to the high beam ground circuit then the ground to the HID is still closed allowing the light to stay on. the down side is that there is now no high beam indicator. the lights are pretty bright, they fit well and have a great cut off. I just don't know if they are actually much better than my low beam H4s now that they are working better. the light is whiter for sure which is nice. the light up the ditches better too which is a bonus. overall now that they are working they are nice. it'll take some time for me to fully say whether they are really a good up grade or just a cool upgrade. I'm going have to play with them a little and maybe go back and forth between the halogens and HIDs to really tell. for now I'm happy I finally got them in and working. sorry about the delay Ben

I have some pictures I'll try to get off my camera tomorrow and post up.

here are a few photos of the install at night. i think the components are good quality and the harness that comes with the kit probably would do a good job. i haven't tried it yet as i was trying to sort out the IPF harness i have already installed. yes maybe i could have avoided all the hassle had i just swapped them out but i wanted to make it work and have the halogens work before the install of the HIDs. they were supposed to be plug and play but using my IPF harness they were not. i had to, as i mentioned in the above post, add a ground to the lights so they would stay on when the high beams went on. the dapper harness is supposed to account for this in the relay set up but i have still to test it. once i have time to play a little with the dapper harness i'll post some more info. the lights have a very nice cut off and spread side to side but i'm still not sure they are a brighter alternative to a good working set of halogens. the ones i have installed in the pictures are sylvania white coloured H4s that are DOT approved and not higher wattage off road bulbs. i may see if my H4 bulbs fit the housings and try some brighter bulbs in the projectors aim them nicely but we'll see.

here final look of the install
IMG_5835.JPG

here is the HID on the right and my halogen on the left (they are not adjusted properly at this point)
IMG_5831.JPG

heres a shot of the ballast mounted to the inner fender and the wiring all tucked away. there is lots of room for the light and a bunch of options of mounting locations. there is enough wire to the ballasts and lights to mount them somewhat remotely which opens up a bunch of mounting possibilities. nice thought in design.

IMG_5972.JPG

How are these running for you then after a couple of months?

The ones in my 60 are rolling strong still :)

Can you tell me where you got the reflector housings from I need to upgrade mine too

One more question , I already have h4 hid in the car now if I buy just the reflector/projector lense will they go straight in ?

they are still working well. I'll be honest my days are really long here this time of year so I don't see my lights often but they are holding up well and are still bright. the housings came with the kit. everything is well made and really quite easy to install. I just struggled with wrong wiring from my hella harness but that's all sorted. the only thing I don't really like is the difference in light having HID and halogen combo. if I could get a set of high beam HID I would so it would keep the color on the ground the same. it's not really an issue just a "like" thing. Ben at dapper lighting was super to work with and could answer questions about whether your current bulbs would work with their housings. they would have to work with the adapters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom