2002 Amplifier upgrade with Navigation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
activthrust.com
Has anyone added an amplifier to a 02 Land Cruiser with factory Nav bypassing and removing the Stereo Component Amplifier? I'm noticing on the 2004 EWD that the Front Left speakers line out run to the Nav ECU first out of the factory nab which allows the Nav to pass voice instructions out. Obviously if I cut the line before the Factory Amp, the Nav would not be able to use the output amp signal?

My desire would be to remove the factory amp and get pure Head signal to the Line outs converter. Based on Page 112 of the EWD, It seems like I may have to use already amplified outputs though: Front Right/Rear Left/Right Rear from the factory amp, then use the Front Left output after N2, the Navigation FCU.

I really appreciate the help, in advance. For the curious, I'm installing Memphis line out converter, 4-channel special use amp, 1-channel special use mono amp and Kicker component and 2-way speakers and Kicker 10" box sub. These special amps are only 5.4"x4.4"x1.5". I'll be glad to post some install pics and a system review. Great people at Pro Audio in Austin are both inventory and service maniacs.

There are a number of threads on the topic. Several others have tried what you are working on and posted. You might start with this thread in the FAQs.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/stereo-faq.50596/

Unfortunately, they're mainly head replacements for non-nav LCs. Does anyone have 2002 LC with navigation experience? Or can point me to specific threads? Are LX470s identical?

SO, with a nav unit, there's no room under the passenger seat or anywhere else up front to put a large Line converter. The Navigation DVD unit is mounted above the factory amp. Using a combination of the 2004 EWD and adding a 9-wire conductor cable from Best Buy, I found the speaker outputs on the factory amp. Then, noting that the left front speaker output first runs through the navigation DVD player, I checked the Pink and the Violet wires for continuity. You use the Pink and Violet wires that are on the output side of the Navigation ECU without continuity that are on the speaker side. I ran the 9-wire under the carpet with a wiring snake. See posts for trim removal in order to snake 9-wire conductor. The multiple-wire cable also contains the signal lead to wake up the amp. The wires are color coded to standard install colors for green, gray, pink and purple with black lined negative wires. Great set.

Tomorrow, the plan is to route speaker wires from the back, forward and get some power in. The driver side firewall on my 02 is pretty used up. The passenger side firewall however has a nice dimple available that I may use and run power to the rear. Considering a power block 1:2 connection point in the future. Fir now, the Memphis kit offers two 10 gauge install leads for the Special Applications amps.

So far, I've been happy with how easy the interior panels have come of (thanks FAQ). Not happy about having to mount line outs and amps all the way in the back but, I'm going to make it work. I'll post pics and a Memphis Sound/kicker install result review along the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom