Trail Hitch Tire Carrier? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

084runnerltd

SILVER Star
Threads
I know this is an "interior" tire mount thread.

But why hasn't anyone (I am sure they have, I just don't know where to find it) make a tire holder that plugs into the trailer hitch receiver, takes a 90 degree turn up, and bam your done?!?

This seems like it would be extremely cheap, simple, effective, portable?? Please lead me, someone had to come up with this idea....???

Edit: it was in an "interior tire mount thread." I guess I officially "jacked" it (sorry to OP of that thread, not my intention). Thanks for moving to a new thread.

Last edited:
I know this is an "interior" tire mount thread. But why hasn't anyone (I am sure they have, I just don't know where to find it) make a tire holder that plugs into the trailer hitch receiver, takes a 90 degree turn up, and bam your done?!? These seems like it would be extremely cheap, simple, effective, portable?? Please lead me, someone had to come up with this idea....??? Sent from DynaTAC bag phone

I thought about that too and the only thing it needs is a way to swing out the tire for the rear hatch/lower door.

In the economy version you could pull it off the receiver. In the "pro" version you you have the bar have some joints in it held in place by pins...remove the pins and "fold" the mounting tube.

Sent from DynaTAC bag phone

In the economy version you could pull it off the receiver. In the "pro" version you you have the bar have some joints in it held in place by pins...remove the pins and "fold" the mounting tube. Sent from DynaTAC bag phone

Kinda like this?

bike_rack.jpg

There is a commercially available one made in that fashion as well as a member here recently posted there's constructed similar but bolting to the 4 holes in the crossmember. Can't seem to find either this am though

There is a commercially available one made in that fashion as well as a member here recently posted there's constructed similar but bolting to the 4 holes in the crossmember. Can't seem to find either this am though

The name escapes me.as well but I remember looking at it and it was almost 800 bucks before shipping.

I have given up the idea of rear bumper style tire carrier because I just got some 35s and they are so heavy I can barely lift them off of the ground let alone lift them 4 feet off of the ground and line up the bolts at the same time. Tire/wheel combo is just over 100lbs.

I have given up the idea of rear bumper style tire carrier because I just got some 35s and they are so heavy I can barely lift them off of the ground let alone lift them 4 feet off of the ground and line up the bolts at the same time. Tire/wheel combo is just over 100lbs.

The fix for this is to properly design your tire mount with a hub or guide to allow you to hump the tire up onto a support before sliding the tire onto the wheel lugs. I used a 4" piece of 1" square tube to make my guide. Any piece of scrap that's a couple inches longer than your wheel studs will work.

Also a bit of technique to lift the tire. I have the tire vertical and kneel in front of it, one knee down, the other knee up. I hold the wheel by the spokes, then roll the tire onto the knee on the ground and stand up with it, using my knee to lift the tire up into place. Still not fun with a 35 but doable, even by a 120 lbs girl, if you practice a bit with something smaller first.

image-3905603898.jpg

IMO the sole reason (other than 37s) to have a spare on a swing out carrier is to improve depart angle, since a 35 fits in the stock spot just fine. With a levelling kit it sits a tad higher than stock.

The problem with a hitch mounted carrier is that the hitch itself and the carrier becomes the limiting factor for departure angle. A partial fix for this is to remove the hitch and bolt the carrier to the rear crossmember, and design it for higher clearance. The carrier arm becomes the point of impact in a rear collision, which is something to think about.

In my case, I liked the way that the hefty wings worked, and also the way wildyoats did his carrier in the stock rear bumper, so I decided to build my rear carrier into the stock rear bumper as well.

The advantage of doing this is that you can remove it and put the spare underneath for daily driving where it's much more convenient, requires less motions to access the rear hatch storage space for groceries, hockey bags, 3rd row seating, etc.

Someday I may do a 4x4labs DIY bumper but that would entail permanently removing the stock tire winch, so I would plan to do that at the same time I do the aux fuel tank.

Hope that helps.

image-305581622.jpg

image-1662502877.jpg

image-1609933830.jpg

image-2529322260.jpg

I had a frame welded onto one of the swing up cargo carriers that plugs into the hitch. I went custom so I could carry 2x tires, water, and gas. Did a great job on a week long excursion, except it's a little wobbly (only one point of connection), weighs down the rear, and I dragged the bottom a couple times (and ripped off one of the spares.. opps). My solution for the wobble ended up trashing the factory roof rack as well.

Didn't set me back any more than the pre-made swingouts I've seen, but I'm looking at options to weld tabs to the bumper so I can swing out instead of down. Better angles, better access to the back, less weight shift.

(sorry pics don't really show the construction, can snap some more if interested)

back rack.jpg

back rack2.jpg

back rack3.jpg

86tuning:

Did you custom fab that swing out connection? or is it available somewhere

86tuning: Did you custom fab that swing out connection? or is it available somewhere

The hinge I am using is made by summit machine. I talked to Cruisin' Offroad to find out what they use, and ended up buying it from them because they're local to me and had it in stock.

It uses roller bearings like a trailer hub, and comes with a nylock nut, with an aluminum end cap that's sealed with an o-ring. Quality made units.

When I daily drive my truck, the carrier is removed. I simply unscrew the end cap, undo nut, slide carrier up and off and have a cover for the end of the spindle to protect against corrosion, since the bearing contact surface cannot be painted due to the precision fit. Its a 5 minute job to remove or install the swing out, plus the time required to move the spare itself. The carrier sits in storage for most of the year, unless I'm going wheeling or forsee the need for improved depart angle.

image-3635422745.jpg

Last edited:
86tuning - well done.

I ordered one from Mark today from Detours USA. They make one for the 80 series that bolts to the 4 holes in the bumper already. No loss of hitch! $285 bucks.

I ordered one from Mark today from Detours USA. They make one for the 80 series that bolts to the 4 holes in the bumper already. No loss of hitch! $285 bucks.

I'm curious what you think of it when you get it. Please let us know. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom