Burnt Out Glow Plugs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just as a preface, I'm not very Land cruiser or diesel savvy but I'm trying to learn! I own a 1976 BJ40 (previously a FJ40) with a 60-70 series 3B. Lately I've been having just a little bit of trouble starting up my BJ40. It turns over pretty slowly and when it starts up and I get this funky smell in the cab. Yesterday after it started up pretty slowly, the smell got even stronger and something started to smoke from underneath the dash. I drove it home no problem, but I'm not too sure whats going on here. I think my glow plugs might have burnt out? Any ideas on whats going on? If y'all need any pictures or anything, just let me know!

After reading this I sound kinda dumb. I'm pretty sure it's the glow plug relay, not the actual glow plugs. Any thoughts?

...via IH8MUD app

After reading this I sound kinda dumb. I'm pretty sure it's the glow plug relay, not the actual glow plugs. Any thoughts?
...via IH8MUD app

So.... you're pretty sure it's the glow plug relay.
Did you take it out? Open it up? Or is it the wiring to and from the relay?
Do you have pictures?

Rudi

...via IH8MUD app
It may have something to do with the slow cranking. Diesels need a strong battery and strong starter.
You need to sort it out before you drive it again.This could be precursor to an electrical fire.

So.... you're pretty sure it's the glow plug relay.
Did you take it out? Open it up? Or is it the wiring to and from the relay?
Do you have pictures?

Rudi

I'm just trying to do a little trouble shooting with the limited knowledge I have. Am I completely sure? No. Have I taken it out? No. Did I open it up? No. Do i think it could be the wiring to and from the relay? Possibly.

It may have something to do with the slow cranking. Diesels need a strong battery and strong starter.
You need to sort it out before you drive it again.This could be precursor to an electrical fire.

I started it up yesterday and saw nothing like what had previously happened, it cranked as normal. The Texas heat could have helped out a little. There's currently a Optima red top in my rig and amperage gauge reads as normal.

I had similar problems some years ago with my '81 bj40 and 3b. Hard to sense smell over the internet, so am unsure if you have the same thing, but I had a "burning electrical" smell... for what that is worth. Slow and erratic cranking, and glow problems. Turned out the ground wire that ties the engine to the frame had broken, but occasionally would make contact and conduct (somewhat). I would think that electricity would find an easy and safe path to ground without such a wire, but Toyota obviously put it there for a reason. The smell was coming from one or more of multiple sources where the power was finding a ground to complete the circuit, such as various other wires not meant for a return path (melting insulation) and arcing from the trans above to the body where it was burning through undercoating, grime, etc. I did experience smoke in the cab a couple times due to this. Replaced the ground wire and the problems all went away, never to return.

Pretty weird, I know. So perhaps not the source of your problems. If your glow relay is at fault, you may be able to get away fixing it by using a very fine file and resurfacing the contact point, but be careful not to remove too much material. A couple screws hold the cover on it -- easy to remove and access.

I had similar problems some years ago with my '81 bj40 and 3b. Hard to sense smell over the internet, so am unsure if you have the same thing, but I had a "burning electrical" smell... for what that is worth. Slow and erratic cranking, and glow problems. Turned out the ground wire that ties the engine to the frame had broken, but occasionally would make contact and conduct (somewhat). I would think that electricity would find an easy and safe path to ground without such a wire, but Toyota obviously put it there for a reason. The smell was coming from one or more of multiple sources where the power was finding a ground to complete the circuit, such as various other wires not meant for a return path (melting insulation) and arcing from the trans above to the body where it was burning through undercoating, grime, etc. I did experience smoke in the cab a couple times due to this. Replaced the ground wire and the problems all went away, never to return.

Pretty weird, I know. So perhaps not the source of your problems. If your glow relay is at fault, you may be able to get away fixing it by using a very fine file and resurfacing the contact point, but be careful not to remove too much material. A couple screws hold the cover on it -- easy to remove and access.

This was extremely helpful! Thanks a ton.

...via IH8MUD app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom