I have 24 days to build this trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What a great build. I have been considering building one myself but can't find any dimensions for the frame. Where did you find the measurements or did you just make it to your specs?

nice work. is the lunette going to be readily removable once installed?
As in can you reach the nut through a bottom opening or something like that?

Yes, exactly,

LUNETTE 2.JPG

Thanks Phil :beer:

Dawg,

Ratpuke (Charla) helped me with some dimensions of one she has and I got a bunch of info one the web. I found a document showing the dimesions during a google image search for "M101 trailer".

Beautiful metal work and build.
Can't wait to see the finished product.

Do you see any weight biased issues with the spare mounted off center?
will you offset that with fuel or water weight?

Are we going to see this trailer at the club meeting tonight?

If you come by the shop at about 4:15pm to day you will see me unloading the freshly powder coated lid. The rest is all here as well.

Also, you will see Byron and I bending up and fitting a skid plate on his BJ70.

Beautiful metal work and build.
Can't wait to see the finished product.

Do you see any weight biased issues with the spare mounted off center?
will you offset that with fuel or water weight?

Thanks Mark. I don't think it will matter, the axle is a 3500# unit and it doesn't even budge when I walk around in the tub. FYI, the balance is a tad front heavy with the tire up front. If I stand right at the back the trailer does not flip up. So that's 200lbs. You want some tongue weight but it's a tad heavy at an estimated 80lbs. I'd rather have 50 or so on a trailer this small. Loading can adjust for it and I suppose its good to not have the trailer flipping up every time you set something on the back end when un-hitched. I do have drop legs for the rear too.

Also, as I think about it, the trailer as it sits now has a real low CG. The entire tub is maybe 70lbs and quite easy to lift by myself other than being large and awkward. The tub. Not me. The frame is closer to 200lbs not including the axle. It's a bit overbuilt and I could have gone with a lighter tube or some thing. But I do like that the frame will be bulletproof as is.

So can you duplicate all the pieces you've designed and cut for a second trailer? This is very cool, and I like how light it weighs.

I could but I'd want to do it over a longer time period. Cramming it into the last week (not counting the design time) has been a bitch. It was a lot of welding time and evenings until 10,11 and one night until 3am.

You could consider me interested if you ever do decide to put together a "body" kit.

You could consider me interested if you ever do decide to put together a "body" kit.

That's what I was getting at, I expect a DIY weldable kit would be a desirable thing. Just need a spec'd out frame dimensions. What are the spring pin to spring pin dimensions and the hub to hub dimensions, side to side is what I'm asking.

That's what I was getting at, I expect a DIY weldable kit would be a desirable thing. Just need a spec'd out frame dimensions. What are the spring pin to spring pin dimensions and the hub to hub dimensions, side to side is what I'm asking.

I'll have to measure it again as I lost the paper with my dimensions. No problem though, its just sitting in the garage. Planning to bring the trailer components home tomorrow morning before Lacrosse practice and then assemble it in the afternoon.

...via IH8MUD app

Starting assembly real time now

Will post pics every time I remember

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1397999842.587411.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Drilled holes for electrical line anchors.

Duct taped the top of the frame for galvanic corrosion protection. At least its something.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1398007517.851936.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1398015659.948675.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1398015672.738505.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

And that explains the holes in the sides. I was gonna ask, but figured it would show up eventually. Looks really good.
That lunette will turn easily, will it? from Princess auto?

don't forget the cotter pin on that lunette nut! :)

don't forget the cotter pin on that lunette nut! :)

Yeah, its not tight yet either. I'm going to have to make a 2-1/16" wrench.

Got it online at Canadian Hitch for ebay pricing.

...via IH8MUD app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom