Diesel Hilux questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

i have been looking at getting a double cab diesel hilux (have wanted one forever). I live in the US, so my understanding is that with the 25 year import rule a 1989 should be good to go. I am looking for any advice on the following:

1) Anyone know of a company that is importing these? (Google shows a company from Canada, Outback Imports, that had some really nice examples but they are out of business) Most seem to be JDM RHD, but LHD would be nice but not mandatory

2) Engine: most i have seen have the "3LT" motor. Is there a more exact motor code? I am curious if there any known problems with this engine (might be worthwhile to get extra parts, or even an extra parts motor ahead of time)

3) These trucks seem fairly durable, but are there any known issues or weaknesses?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated!

-Chris

I don't know too much about the 3LT but from what I have gathered, it is much better than the previous motor (2L). I doubt if you will find any LHD trucks, all the ones I have seen have been RHD.
The good news is I have seen more and more of these popping up on CL lately, used to be the only ones I would find were in B.C. Here is a link to a CL add from an importer.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/4405597033.html

Honestly I think you'll be disappointed. I drove a 2L powered hilux the other week. It was the worst vehicle I've driven in about 5 years (everything was worn out, it swam down the road) and the slowest I think I've ever driven. I know there is massive hype surrounding these old hiluxes, but IMO they can't live up to the legend.

There was no factory 3LT. Only turbocharged factory engines were the 2LT (2.4 turbo, famous for cracking heads) and the 1KZ-T (3.0 turbo also known for cracking heads).
The 3L is a 2.8 non turbo diesel. Often aftermarket turbocharged with less than perfect results. The high compression and soft crank cause problems with higher boost. The head is also weak but usually survives fine with no turbo.

Chris:

There is no factory 3L-T. There is a 3L (2.8L, normally aspirated) motor, the 2L (2.4L normally aspirated) commonly found in Hiluxes. Both would be pretty doggy in CO.

The 2L-T, 2LT-E, and 1KZ-TE are all factory turbo motors, and are all somewhat prone to cracked heads. That's the downside.

All of that said, 120,000+ miles on my 2LT-E in the US, and I haven't cracked the head yet. And as "doggy" as the 2LT-E is, I still love driving mine. It's a vastly different engine than the 22RE or the 3.0 V6--MUCH faster than both of those, and obviously more torquey.

ALL of that said, if I had my druthers, I'd figure out how to put a 1KZ-TE into a double cab hilux, with a solid front axle.

Dan

Most of your Hilux diesels, especially those from somewhere other than Japan, will be "rode hard and put away wet". Don't expect too many pristine examples to pop up for LHD. In Sierra Leone where we lived from 2011 to 2013 the life span was about 6 months to 1 year but they were the best they could find. They were driven HARD.

I dont think the 3L was around in 1989. I would be comparing prices with Landcruisers,with the importation cost ,it may well work out the same for something a bit more durable.
The 80s models Hilux were pretty good though,lots of them still on the roads in Australia with 400000klm

There classed as a soft 4wd being built light weight and won't handle rough treatment like its big brother. My sons mate has a habit of bending them and normally buys a new old one every year and transfers his parts over. This guy loves getting air under his from his dirt bike days.

We had 3L Hi Lux new up to 1996 .. so they are not many, but you can still find few ones in very decent condition ( giving the condition as a work truck down here .. they take that very seriously )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom