Builds 1st FJ40, '76 - SMOKEY - Puttin’ her Back Together (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you rebuild it, it is nice to have it well centered so it is easier to turn upside down to refit the crank, cam, and pistons, plastiguage, etc...that's all I'm saying.

That Manischewits red will match especially well if you paint it yellow first, get a bunch of grime on it, and then paint it burgundy so that stuff peels off in sheets.

In all seriousness.....I like grey engines. Oil leaks show up well.

Stripe it!

If you rebuild it, it is nice to have it well centered so it is easier to turn upside down to refit the crank, cam, and pistons, plastiguage, etc...that's all I'm saying.

That Manischewits red will match especially well if you paint it yellow first, get a bunch of grime on it, and then paint it burgundy so that stuff peels off in sheets.

In all seriousness.....I like grey engines. Oil leaks show up well.

Hadn't thought about grey. Hmmm. Engine rebuilder wants to paint it black of course.

Rainman - stripes, really? Haven't we had enough stripes?

...via IH8MUD app

Starting the front axle teardown. Boy, let's hear it for the guy who invented the tie rod remover - those things are the beast (as my 14 YO says). Hit the driver nut with an air wrench and POP! off they come.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1397482360.893901.jpg

Cone washer removal - that was sooo much easier than I feared. The ones on the freewheel hubs just popped right out when tapping on the nut that was loosened to the end of the stud.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1397482283.231629.jpg

I will also note that an air wrench or electric hammer drill works wonders on these big rusty nuts. Not one failed to succumb to my efforts.

I was making great progress until my son passed out coming down the stairs, fell head first, and gashed his head and bit thru his lower lip. Thank goodness he didn't go thru the window at the turn of the stairs! 6 hours in the ER later we got home, but just in time for me to put this project away for a while.

Oh, and it was 80 yesterday, and snow is predicted for tomorrow. Really?

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1397482664.571455.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1397482687.230387.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

Just tried to call you Scott. MAN, I cringed when I read the part about your son. I sure hope he's okay. You know I'm available for you when you need it.

Also... Glad we patterned your tubing before you tackled this!

I had a six month head start...and once again, you've pulled ahead. :bang:

I had a six month head start...and once again, you've pulled ahead. :bang:

I think we need to keep tabs on each other. It'll keep us both moving forward at a faster clip. Last one to finish has to buy the other one some doodad for the interior as the "final piece". It can be a ceremony! :steer:

Just tried to call you Scott. MAN, I cringed when I read the part about your son. I sure hope he's okay. You know I'm available for you when you need it.

Also... Glad we patterned your tubing before you tackled this!

Thanks Rainman. You called as well. And Thanks Rick for your kind words. As a father, you hate when your kids get hurt like that. Falling down a flight of stairs is scary when you slip, but my nightmare is falling headfirst, which he did. I guess it is good to be young and very fit.

I'm guessing the hospital bill will be close to $10,000 - ER, Xray, CT scan, electrocardiogram, surgeon for stitches, bag of IV fluid, $100 worth of Motrin (all 500mg of it).... Sheesh.

Kids always get bunged up, but sometimes it scares the dickens out of you--glad there was no permanent damage. -----Can you imagine if the hospital sold 40 parts????

I think we need to keep tabs on each other. It'll keep us both moving forward at a faster clip. Last one to finish has to buy the other one some doodad for the interior as the "final piece". It can be a ceremony! :steer:

If I had a garage to work in on a regular basis, you'd have a bet! We'll have to see where both of our projects stand by the time I actually buy a house complete with garage. I feel like nice shiny shifter knobs, or something along those lines, would be a nice finishing touch. (I know mine are missing/gross). That said, I'm currently at a severe disadvantage!

Can I join this race? I started in June of last year. Does that count?

I started in July of 2012 and you are both leaps and bounds ahead of me!

Can I join this race? I started in June of last year. Does that count?

No, that doesn't count. Someone is paying you to get it done. I have to motivate my butt to spend more of my own money on this.

Though, the longer I delay on zinc plating our parts, the longer till you finish!

...via IH8MUD app

I started in July of 2012 and you are both leaps and bounds ahead of me!

All I have is a transmission, and an engine that is torn down. Everything else is in the "to be done" column.

And yes, a nice shift knob is what I was thinking too. Wood with the gears laser cut into it or something would look cool no? I wonder how much that'll cost me?

Rainman, you have to finish 2 40's to win.

...via IH8MUD app

Though, the longer I delay on zinc plating our parts, the longer till you finish!

...via IH8MUD app

I feel a cramp coming right before I start on your brake lines... It might be a few years... AahAhahahaahaahHHAa...

I feel a cramp coming right before I start on your brake lines... It might be a few years... AahAhahahaahaahHHAa...

I guess we are at an impasse leftanant. Actually, I think you have me over a barrel. You can go without shiny bits, but I cannot stop without brakes.

I tore down the knuckles last night. Whew, glad to have that part behind me. Found some interesting grease in my passenger side - a nice mix of army green and dayglo green greases.

IMG_3568.jpg IMG_3569.jpg

Getting the knuckle caps off was fun. In the end, just pried them off with a pry bar (or better yet, two at the same time). Also, you can take the top one off, then use a brass drift to knock the lower one off.
IMG_3579.jpg

Make sure you keep up with the orientation and location of the shims - they need to go back with the same orientation and thickness when reassy begins. If you are replacing your shims, at least you will have the thickness so that you don't have to mess with the lash of the gears in the diff (assuming the lash is good when you started!).

Its a messy process, but it's not that bad if you
1. use gloves
2. use a scraper (spatula, spoon, etc)
3. use a shopping bag to slog off all the grease
4. use lots of paper towels to get the grease globs off. I pull them out of the trash daily when my wife and kids dab the water off their hands and toss them. I have about 10 rolls worth in a big tub. Amazing how a little grease off the counter, or when someone used it as a napkin at dinner doesn't bother me when I'm "saving" a used paper towel now. After they are completely soaked with 1/4" of grease from the knuckles, only then do I know that paper towel is used up. (My wife absolutely hates that I do that).
IMG_3587.jpg

Here's my "spatula". Plastic spoon. Gets in the creases very well, scrapes a lot off the knuckle.
IMG_3593.jpg

This is what my brother's bicycle shop uses:

http://www.armakleen.com

It is ultra low VOC, cuts pretty well (old timers will scoff at this), and doesn't leave any residue like diesel. Works in any parts wash machine. When I clean my drivetrain, which I do annually (at least) on my computer bicycle, it rinses completely clean with very weak dish soap and water. You can practically drink the stuff.......well.....not really, but you will think so after using diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom