Builds SLOW 71 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
Got the tires mounted and bolted one up for pictures. Turned out nice, not a lot sticking out of the wheel well.

IMG_2372.JPG

Now I need to paint the end of the axle. :doh:

IMG_2370.JPG

IMG_2373.JPG

IMG_2374.JPG

Looks great ron! Don't you have the baby moon caps to go over the inside?

Got the tires mounted and bolted one up for pictures. Turned out nice, not a lot sticking out of the wheel well.

I like the look of the tire right at the edge, I think you nailed it.

The tires look great.

Thanks Guys,

It's amazing how a new set of tires and wheels can fire a guy up again. The day they got mounted, I was in the shop and my Wife called me for supper. She asked if I wanted to roll one in the house, so I could look at it while eating! :)

I looked back through your posts trying to find when you originally got those rims (i scanned quickly) and couldnt find the posts. If i remember correctly you were trying to use the factory caps but couldnt right?

Who makes these rims and what are they modified from (Chevy, Ford rims?)

Im sure there's something out there that would work.

Npulver,

Yeah, I spent a little time with the VW clips and thought of welding them on, but they're way too small. The wheels are from Stockton Wheel. Made to order. My specs. on backspace and center bore, etc. Not a cheap way to go, but I just wanted it over with. Summit sells some, but they have different backspace. I've never seen anybody post up a wheel from something else, without having to remake it to work on their tires, but I'm sure they're out there. An old chevy truck wheel, maybe.

My wheels are 16x7 6x5.5 bolt circle with a 106.25mm center bore and 3.5" backspace. They had to reverse the wheel, because of the backspace.

The wheels cost more than the tires, by the time it was done.

No, I don't. I just thought paint would be fine. Who sells such a thing?

In order to run the factory moon caps you would need the cruiser wheels with the tabs... I remember when I sent my wheels to Stockton Wheels to have them widen they cut the centers with the clips from older Cruiser wheels and welded them to the newer style wheel. Needed the newer style for clearance of the disc brakes if I'm remembering correctly
Ron's wheels appear to be the later style...you might be able to source a non factory cap that would fit.. C Dan sourced the factory caps for me.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
No, I'm fine with no hubcaps. Thanks anyhow. I thought Npulver was talking about some cap that went over just the axle flange.

Lou, mine are 16" wheels and I couldn't find any with the clips on. I didn't want to buy wheels for the clips, then have Stockton build another set of wheels from them, just to run with hubcaps. Plain old wheels it is.

No, I'm fine with no hubcaps. Plain old wheels it is.

I like the way Jonathan Ward catches that understated mechanical perfection without the hey look at me from a mile away. You have to be a car guy to appreciate Jonathan Ward’s style and I think that the beauty of your build.

In this video you can see how they downplay the trickness of the vehicle and the exposed lug nuts add to that.

Anyway I'm diggin your build, thanks for the updates!

Thanks Man,

I appreciate the support. It's not for everybody's style, but I like it and having fun doing it, so onward!

Great video, wouldn't it be something to hang out in his shop. I sure could learn a few things.

Morning Chris,

Since the body was stripped before it was painted last time, painter says he'll see how it looks, might not take all back to bare metal. But, I believe the plan is to use epoxy primer, then a base coat/clear coat. I'm leaving all the hard decisions up to the painter, I picked colors.

As some of you know, I'm using the 5 speed transmission and the shifter is way over towards the driver, interfering with my leg. While I had the seats in, thought I'd fix the problem. No problem, right. Heat up and bend to the right spot. I knew something wasn't right with how Toyota made it. The large dia. shaft just stops and a smaller dia. shaft goes into the trans. I heated it up to bend and it started smoking, brunt rubber. Toyota used a rubber sleeve, bushing, type thing inside the large tube to hold the smaller shaft.

Well, so much for that. I'm going to use a 5/8" dia. rod and make my own. Another problem, the shifter boot is made for the large dia. tube. and a 4 speed boot has a different bolt pattern, on the floor. So, digging around my grommet drawer, I found one that fits perfect and it will take a 5/8ths rod.

I really didn't like the look of the fat shifter, anyhow and it was a little short, for where I sit. I'll buy a round shifter knob and be set to go.

I have two extra grommets, if anyone else will be doing this.

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2379.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

Last edited:
Chris, that's the one alright.

Tucker, that rubber sleeve looks to be @ one inch long and pressed in there. I don't think you could get it out, without destroying it. The small shaft below that sleeve is where you need to bend. A guy could cut the small shaft, turn and mig weld it, maybe not melt the rubber. Wrap a wet rag around it, when welding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom