Opinions on Goodyear Duratracs vs. Dick Cepek Fun Countrys (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting ready to do a 2.5" OME lift on my 96 and am considering 285 75 16 Duratracs or Fun Countrys. Anybody have experience or opinions on which one is better? I will be driving on road, light mud and snow, mild rock crawling, fire roads...nothing too serious. Thanks for your input.

My only experience with Duratraks is on our 5th gen 4Runner we've had for 2 weeks. They are very good on road, in wet and dry conditions. They are quiet as well. These are a 265/70 R18 size. They have a nice aggressive look, but I have no data on how they do off road or aired down. I expect them to be at least as good as my BFG ATs and, hopefully, wear more evenly.

I have about 6,000 miles on a set of 315/75-16 Duratracs. That mileage includes 3 Death Valley trips and 1 Moab trip. I have to say that I am very pleased with my choice. I originally bought these because we are moving from So Cal to Kansas and wanted a good tire for snow and ice. In the desert, the tires provide plenty of traction. I have no chunking yet. I've aired them down to 10psi without any issues. On the highway they are pretty quiet (no louder than the BFG AT's they replaced) and are smooth. I don't usually buy the same tire twice, but I will buy these again.

That's good to know, I haven't heard much about the FC's but I'm leaning towards the Goodyears. I've always run BFG AT's also but I like the slightly more aggressive design of the Duratracs. Thanks for the info.

I've currently running BFG ATs but when the time comes the decision has been made to move on to Duratracs with such good reviews and being a great mild aggressive pattern. We put FC2s on a co-workers truck and although they're doing the job of an all terrain, they're pretty damn slick on a wet road and the wear pattern isn't the greatest even with repeated alignment checks. I'd recommend the Goodyears.

I was going to go with Nitto Terra grapplers until I saw how price competitive the Good Year duratracs are, now I think I'm going that way with 285/75 end of summer.

Anybody running the Wrangler MT/R with kevlar? compared to Duratracs?

The MT/R is a more aggressive tire, while the Duratrac is intended to be an "industrial all terrain" tire. IMHO

MT/Rs are better in more off road situations, like mud and rocks. Duratracs are better on road (a little more quiet) and good in snow. My MT/Rs look like they are going to make it to 35 - 40,000 miles.

MT/Rs are better in more off road situations, like mud and rocks. Duratracs are better on road (a little more quiet) and good in snow. My MT/Rs look like they are going to make it to 35 - 40,000 miles.

You're getting that out the Cepek's?

Goodyear makes MT/Rs. I had a set of DC AT tires on my 40 about 15 years ago, but I sold them when I got 35s.

Goodyear makes MT/Rs. I had a set of DC AT tires on my 40 about 15 years ago, but I sold them when I got 35s.
I've since changed my mind from the Duratracs and am now thinking either MT/R's or Cooper Discoverer STT's. I've run MT/R's on my old jeep but I have no experience with Coopers. Thoughts?

MT/R is a pretty decent compromise for a truck you drive to the trail head. I like Coopers too, but I don't have any experience with the STT.

I see the Duratracs as an equivalent to the BFG AT's, though they seem more aggressive than the BFGs. We have a few thousand miles on the Duratracks now and they are wearing very well and have great grip in wet conditions. The 4runner will be used as the grocery getter and family wheeler.

After my last experience in soupy mud I'm going to go MT rather than AT's as they are completely worthless in any mud what so ever.

I went from Duratracs to Cooper ST/Maxx and am quite pleased.

It really depends on your local conditions. The Duratracs are a very good tire. I'm 3 years into a set on my 80 and they wear well, and are great for trips to Death Valley, Moab, and other desert locations. They might not be the best in mud. My set at 30K miles probably has another 5-10K of useful life.

I've also had great success with 3 sets of MT/Rs and several other sets of BFG ATs. BFG ATs are hard to beat as an all around tire. You almost can't wear them out.

There is no perfect tire. If you can't decide what to get, get BFG ATs. If you plan to go off road a lot, get MT/Rs. If you live in mud, get swampers. Tires will rarely be the thing that limits where you can go, so a good compromise tire like a Duratrac tire may be what you need.

OP, Duratracs are great in snow and that's about it. Do you care in Santa Cruz?

"Industrial strength AT"? We had a truck sent to us at a mine site with DT's and they lasted 1 week, averaging at least 1 plug per day, before they were tossed. Replaced them with Nitto Trail Grapplers and those outlasted the M55's (a true AT) all the other company trucks were using. By far.

I promptly sold mine when I got home and bought Toyo MT's.

As CruiserDrew said, depends on what you need. If your'e on-road biased and on a budget, the DT's are a great compromise. I only had 1 sidewall puncture on the set up at Pearl Pass. Really weak sidewalls. Not "bad" overall considering my need for winter performance and the price.

Jgranthevagrant: Have you googled MTR Kevlar sidewall separation? Might only be an issue with the larger sizes. Steered me away.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom