24 Volt Winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MicahMan

TLCA 20925
Threads
I've been doing a number of searches, but want real world experience from the mud community.

I have a 24v HJ61 that is in need of a winch. The only real options without crazy shipping are a Warn M8000 or a Warn XD9000 in 24 Volt.

Any other winches worth looking at. I'm located in Utah so Warn seems to be my best bet.

I'm leaning toward the M8000 as I always carry a snatch block and extra rigging, and it costs $100 dollars less.

Just looking for opinions!

I don't know whether you meant a 24v M8000 or a 24v XD9000 or not, but just because your truck is 24v doesn't mean you have to buy a 24v winch. You could use any 12v winch that you can lay your hands on and just connect its power feed to the positive and negative of one battery, rather than the pair of 12v cells that are wired in series to give the 24v your truck runs on.

The pros of a 24v winch are that the power cabling can be of a lesser gauge while still providing the power you need. However given how little cable is needed, that isn't a massive saving of weight, at all. The cons are, well I don't think there are any cons really, maybe parts availability, possibly, but Warn have a pretty good supply chain so I doubt that is an issue if you go with them.

You should always have a snatch block anyway, regardless of which one you choose.

I'd be worried about burning up the battery. So I'm planning on the 24v version for sure.
There are a number of threads about the center tap in Canada that didn't go well.

No recomended to use 1 battery out of the 2 on a 24volt system, inverter for that amount of amps would be large, 24 volt winch is the way to go. There are other brands like Superwinch and Milemarker come up on google, I think all the bigger brands will have 24 volt options, will most likely need to order in though.

I have a 24V Superwinch Husky 10. It's a little shelf worn, but otherwise new... check my web page, it's at a great price. I also have a new Warn 24V motor and contactor that was removed from a Warn 12,000 lb Military winch. It would be easy to convert many of the Warn units to 24V using it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom