I am ready to buy my 1st FJ60... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BigRiggs

SILVER Star
Threads
Please excuse my inexperience, I've lurked around for years and I've finally scraped enough $ together.
However I am scared to buy a vehicle sight-unseen. I am interested in this rig on ebay, but I am worried about getting a third party to look at it, what its history is, not seeing it in person, etc - I've heard horror stories. I thought I saw a network of MUD members that would look at a rig for you and give their opinion, so you weren't bidding/buying blind. I've searched and I can't find anything like that now. I have some pretty specific things in mind for what I want.
Any and all input you give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Land...m=151279899419&pt=US_Cars_Trucks#ht_951wt_902

Hey mate

You need to tell people where you are, obviously nowhere near me with a left hand drive:D

From the pictures, looks like a nice rig, it appears it's had a respray, this is always a concern unless they have pictures of before and after.
He's only had it a short while, that concerns me too.

The interior is immaculate apart from the drivers seat.

Yes it's very hard sight unseen, but even if you go and see it and drive it and check it all over, things can still go wrong once you get it home, it's a gamble, toss a coin:grinpimp:

A few years ago I purchased a SWB Nissan Patrol on eBay sight unseen for around the same money, turned out to be an awesome truck, so worked for me.

If you can't find anyone closer then you need to ask more questions, get more pictures, find out where he bought from and ring them if you can.

Even if the motor was stuffed (just saying) you've still got an awesome rig there and then you could drop a diesel in there:D

Best of luck with it mate

:cheers: Spudman

Only one real question here. Does it have any rust? Says it's a southern truck and it's located in Georgia but that don't mean it's not rusty. Most everything else can be fixed, but rust is a killer. Serious work involved in rust repair.

Looks like a nice truck. Keep in mind that you are buying an older vehicle. Things can and will break, items such as hoses, belts, Etc... Get brittle over time and if they have not looked at, you'll need to do so. Seen it many times, buyer gets an "nice" cruiser and then these time sensitive parts start to fail and they get discouraged.

These parts are not cheap nor is owning a cruiser.

I'm not trying to discourage you in the slightest, just know what you're in for. I love my cruiser.
I just caution you. I bought my truck in September. In November the master cylinder went out. One thing lead to another and about $4000 later I have replaced almost all these old components.

Sorry for the lengthy reply, truck looks awesome, color is great, and I hope it works out. I'm always excited for a new cruiser owner! If this don't go through, there is one out there for you! Just watch that rust! :)

I would be very hesitant... car history report shows an accident in Alabama in 2011 that was showing as "disabling" by the DMV. This does not state whether that means that it was/is a salvage title or not but unless you can get full explanation and pictures on that or you can have someone check out in person I would step away.

Also of note is that it currently is running a weber and looks to be desmogged, dont know if emissions is an issue for you but that could be a deal breaker.

As someone that waited years for the "right" truck I am with you, however the great truck can be found. This one I fell like there are too many red flags and would probably walk away (even though it is my favorite color.

I bought my 62 after seeing it online and flying to a different state to check it out. It has some problems that I didn't pick up on, even after checking it over in person. But I had the option to catch a cab back to the airport and walk away. With an ebay bid, you will probably have to pay for it before you check it out, and for me that would be a no go.

Also, as mentioned, if it has a paintjob, it could be hiding rust. If it has been resprayed, I wouldn't buy without detailed "before" pictures.

This is where you want to do your shopping: https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/fj60-fj62-bj60-hj61.330/

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to try to be patient for one with little doubt. It is hard to be patient when i've been waiting and saving so long and finally got the green light from my wife.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to try to be patient for one with little doubt. It is hard to be patient when i've been waiting and saving so long and finally got the green light from my wife.

Oh I am totally with you... I looked for almost 2yrs for mine, was dying for a 464 Beige one and actually passed one up locally because of the rust it had. Thing is, the time will come and just like finding your SO you will just know.

Look further in the ATL Craigslist ads and you will see that this was for sale in Hoschton for $7900 earlier this month, so this guy bought it and is trying to flip it, the original ad is still up :)

It looks good but I'm leary of flippers and fresh paint often hides bad things.

60's rust like crazy so be mindful of that, even in the south. Find one that is rust free and make that the priority, the mechanicals are easy and usually brought into spec easily and reasonably.

...via IH8MUD app

It's starting to get a few bids now, so it might go higher than what's advertised on craiglist

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom