The 2H/12H-T/1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Gturbo Alternative Tech Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry the second one. Funny the pics show the anti surge housing but it says "no anti surge housing" in the description.

I guess you could use one of these?

806287EB-6483-4A1F-8D19-521EA31309AC.jpg

I'm in a complete rebuild/changeout scenario so I've got room to move :) I just started to port and polish the head and found a crsck in my head between the exhaust valve seat and the pre combustion cup :-( not happy Jan, only 50,000km on the motor, no warranty transfer from the guy who had it done.

The next bag of worms just opened up.

:steer:

Whack on a 3 inch straight thru exhaust, intercooler and manual boost control and then your Toyota will stand on end:D
I've done the exhaust so far and the results are awesome:smokin:

ive done everything bar the intercooler and fuel screw. im currently running 12pounds without a pyro guage. once i have one fitted i will play around with the screw

Cheers Dougal
I will start looking for a later than 1988 engine. Very impressive numbers so my next 60, 80 or 100 series will be getting a Isuzu 4BDIT.

ive done everything bar the intercooler and fuel screw. im currently running 12pounds without a pyro guage. once i have one fitted i will play around with the screw

I tried wiring up my pyro today, it's not giving me a temp reading, I might have stuck the probe in to far:bang: Obviously can't check it out for a few hours:eek:

This could be a really painful thread if everyone wants to play "how about this turbo?"!

If the compressor intake and exhaust outlet aren't similar sized to known good turbos then it probabaly won't. Bigger is only better if you're building a high rpm dyno queen. Drivability, particularly offroad, requires the right sized turbo.

In fact engine longevity requires the right size turbo too. The wrong sized turbo and a hot smokey tune will crack heads on weaker engines.

good on you, i find it disheartening to see people gather info from members on here and piece it all together and charge a rediculous price for the product after and all while slagging anything made from china saying anything made in china you run a enevitale risk of catastrofic failure, yet they use them as a core too. i was wonderring why they have been so quiet. i thought this forum was to help each other out and trying to keep it the do it yourselfer or at least as cheap as possible. i think a t3 option is a good start . can hardly wait to here dougals input on turbo options he has good number knowledge and isnt here to rape anyone.

I wouldn't say that at all. Graeme with the Gturbo has collected, tested, reverse engineered and engineered his way to the Gturbo line. He is a professional engineer who has done a monumental amount of behind the scenes work. Work that could not in any way be gleaned from other peoples postings on forums.
If I was producing and selling turbos they wouldn't be any cheaper than the Gturbos.

I have a very simple rule for any parts. If you can buy them, then buy them. It will work out a multitude cheaper than any build or piece together option.

I agree with Dougal. wrong way around - there's something really disingenuous about your broad comments (that you then back off from), when clearly you're commenting on Graeme's contribution to real improvements in understanding and performance of our engines over a number of years, and cherry picking out of context points to criticise him. If you look back at his early postings, he too was struggling to find decent alternatives to improve performance and tossed around many ideas in a collaborative way. I got his first prototype GTurbo several years ago but his knowledge and ongoing innovation has grown exponentially since then - and continues to do so.

For guys that want to figure out alternatives, go for it, seriously go for it.. But don't bag the guy that has been there done that and has an evolving product that many many people who don't have the knowledge, interest and skills that you have, want to buy. To suggest he is raping buyers is really out of line.

Tim
Disclosure - I'm taking front end enquiries, phone, email, text, Facebook, PM messages for GTurbo, somewhat freeing Graeme up to get on with designing, building and tuning.

So mapping the 16g large even at 5000ft it is a tad away from surge with 21psi at 1600rpm. That doesn't seem so bad actually. I did find a link Doug for a twin scroll 8.5cm tdo4hl 20t that has turbine measurements that don't correspond to an HL, but is still quite interesting. I have no maps for the 20t but it's just the inducer that changes by 1mm so.... More room on the right?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kinugawa-Bil...ccessories&hash=item43c7df5439&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

Last edited:
So mapping the 16g large even at 5000ft it is a tad away from surge with 21psi at 1600rpm. That doesn't seem so bad actually. I did find a link Doug for a twin scroll 8.5cm tdo4hl 20t that has turbine measurements that don't correspond to an HL, but is still quite interesting. I have no maps for the 20t but it's just the inducer that changes by 1mm so.... More room on the right?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kinugawa-Bil...ccessories&hash=item43c7df5439&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

The numbers on that Kinugawa turbo don't match anything. Turbine could be a typo, compressor I've not heard of.

20G is surging from ~1500rpm and 18psi on the 4BD1T at sealevel.
The TD05-16G map (compressor only) is about the same flow and pressure as the TD04HL-19T wheel, but with about 4 points worse efficiency. It is okay surge wise on the 4BD1T at sealevel, but I can't see any reason to use it over the 19T.

Last edited:
i backed of because this is a alternative turbo thread not a vendor slagging thread and not another thread that turns into a gturbo thread ,as you would have noted that ,that after a couple of posts no mention of your product, and yes he has had a good designed turbo for the last couple of years . i dont think anyone is going to disect one and copy it here, this is a what do you think this turbo would be like thread . this thread has huge potential for a guy who quite frankly cant afford your turbo, for those who can , you have your own thread that you can bump. i would think that everyone myself included would appreciate the mans knowledge while your following this thread , and yes yes any china made parts you run the risk of blowing up your engine.

I didn't miss that you mentioned the 19t would be great in a compound set up. I was thinking the same thing. After doing a bit of reading on the td42 guys using the td05 it seems to respond reasonably, but not awesome. I think it really only responds with the really small housings. Your very right that the 19t is a more efficient compressor as well, but it just can't flow enough air for the top end, not that most folks rev it out that high though. The HL is a physically much smaller turbo for a compound set up for fit,ent as well vs the td05. It would be cool to see a twin scroll housing used sometime though. They do twin scroll td06s and it doesn't map to bad in a compound set up with the 20g providing the small doesn't boost too much, but they are pretty expensive and a cheap holset makes more sense. Somehow I get the feeling like I just talked myself out of something. What is the CMs of the 1hdt housing anyhow?

Well wrong way here are two turbos that will work:

Get a used Td04hl with a 6cm housing and swap a 19t compressor on it. For to which you can also get 5 and 7 cm for different performance tuning. They are common on lots of volvos.

Or

Get a td05 with a 6 cm housing from early 90s eaglet talons and swap a 16g large compressor on it. There. Are also other hot side housings available as well.

The 19t will spool faster and is more efficient but the td05 might choke a bit later in the rpms. Both turbos will boost early and would be a very significant upgrade and very drivable with low rpm boost, the 19t being the better with that. Sadly, they can not boost to 5 grand though. Sorry. You might get around 3300-3600 reasonably as a guess out of it.

Last edited:
I didn't miss that you mentioned the 19t would be great in a compound set up. I was thinking the same thing. After doing a bit of reading on the td42 guys using the td05 it seems to respond reasonably, but not awesome. I think it really only responds with the really small housings. Your very right that the 19t is a more efficient compressor as well, but it just can't flow enough air for the top end, not that most folks rev it out that high though. The HL is a physically much smaller turbo for a compound set up for fit,ent as well vs the td05. It would be cool to see a twin scroll housing used sometime though. They do twin scroll td06s and it doesn't map to bad in a compound set up with the 20g providing the small doesn't boost too much, but they are pretty expensive and a cheap holset makes more sense. Somehow I get the feeling like I just talked myself out of something. What is the CMs of the 1hdt housing anyhow?

19t should be good for about 180kw on a 4BD1T. He221 is the next step up. 200kw worth.

I haven't mapped out a td05 turbine but I suspect it's too big for all those not overfuelling and blowing smoke everywhere.

I have a compound plan. Large turbo is surprisingly large.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom