Need Steel Rim Replacment help - 16x7 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got mine mounted today.

IMG_2371.JPG

Now I need to paint the axle end.:doh:

IMG_2370.JPG

IMG_2371.JPG

IMG_2369.JPG

Outstanding. They look just right. Personally I like them without the hubs/clips but if you are looking for the OEM look you are not that far way.
Did you find and clip information? I still think in my journeys on Mudd I came across something on someone made some wheel clip. Will have to search again.
That wagon is so cool.
I went the poor mans way today and ordered the Summit 16x7 wheels. Unfortunately they only came with a 4" BS and 0.0 offset, hope they fit.
Hope they look as good. Nice!

This is all good news. I contacted Early Wheel and that was a no go for them "right now" they said. They referred me to The Wheel Smith. ??? Odd I thought. I contacted The Wheel Smith, talked with a nice guy named Ed who seemed into what I was inquiring about. He wanted me to "run some numbers" which I should have had, I felt a little bad about that. He wanted the number from axle center to outside of caliper and from rotor to caliper. He also mentioned having to do a reversed rim as Stockton did for you ScrapDaddy. Which by the way looks like Stockton hooked you up pretty well, they look great my friend. Thanks for the pics.
The info your laying down Love2Fly is very promising as well and I can't wait to hear how it turns out. All in all this is a great thread and will be helpful for other folks too.

My wife jokingly asked me today "why are guys so hung up on things like silly car wheels, aren't they all the same", I actually could not explain it the way I wanted and just said "that's what guys do". We know why.
evL sounds as the guy was asking all the right questions.
evL, if you look from a birds eye view down at he disc and caliper hub assembly, what in inches do you get from the caliper sticking out past the disc surface outward, 1/2 or 3/4.
I down loaded a chart that helps when buying the correct wheels, so I did all the measurements it said to the tee and when it cam time the guy at Summit just asked what is the wheels BS your using now , I said 4" and said ours will work. I think I would of felt better if he had asked a lot of questions. Anyway they will be here Friday so well go from there.
ScrapDaddy would you mind posting a photo of you 55 with the wheels. That is a nice truck from what I can see of it.
If the wheels work out as I planed I will haul them down to our local powder coat shop and go with the smoke gray or close to it.
I was hoping some guys would chime in with some info and photos of what they have and experienced in tackling the OEM STEEL WHEEL look.

Ha! Love2Fly are those gals not great or what? Well the fact that they put up with us "boys" I guess is reason enough. Now this is very off subject but when you mentioned what your best friend said, [wife], it made me think of exactly what my buddy and I have going on now. Where as we run a small metal fab / welding shop, we work in the Hydro-Electric business, we both work for Toshiba, and we are building a "Pipe-Fitters" flat bed on one of our F350's and are amazed at how the girls don't even notice any progress, wonder what in the hell we're doing and why, yet dad that pays the bills. I guess that's my point. I mean we have extended the frame, done piles of work and they just think nothing of it. But hey, those great gals stand by their men, there with us because we're men. I am going to throw in a few pics of our bumper and the bed. The bed isn't finished and once again might be out of line posting, [note to mods], but the reason for posting is sometimes the gals just don't get it. We love this kind of stuff...
This is what we make for fun...

By the way we made those lug nuts too... The winch isn't in yet... Ya a ding in the quarter panel there but after all it's a work truck. Oh and yes Coors boxes make great welding blankets. Oh the crap I am going to get on posting this...

Ok every day the wives walk in and are like ??? That's my point.

And yes your right, he was asking the right questions. I looked like a fool for not having the answers was my point. I'm used to measuring items in mm due to Hydro / Toshiba and should have had that. And I'll be looking into that question you asked me as well.
Keep us posted on the Summit Rims. And Thanks.

20140401_110128.jpg

20140129_115523.jpg

EmptyName_122.jpg EmptyName_125.jpg EmptyName_124.jpg EmptyName_122.jpg EmptyName_122.jpg EmptyName_122.jpg
EmptyName_122.jpg
Received the 16x7 Summit wheels a day early. The wheel shipment boxing was well done, wheels are in a light gray primer. The fit was as to be expected, perfect (a little worried). The 4" BS really left me with plenty of space with the 62 calipers so I think the 3.5" if I could of got them in that would of been fin also. "0" offset, so they sit wheel on the hub. The steering knuckle arm is now within the wheel area but with 1/2 - 3/4 between the rim edge and arm end, plenty of room. It has no cut vents around the inside of the rim mid area you find on the stock Toyota wheels giving this rim a nice smooth look all around the inside. The welds as seen in the photo is a bit rough (not flowing) but not giving any concerns to any brake/axle items. If wanted one can grind the weld a bit smoother being cautious not to take to much off.
The lug ring on the inside rises the rim out from the flushness of the hub about 3/16 give or take. This is seen in many rims types.
All in all this wheel from Summit Racing seems to be a very good candidate for the replacement of the clip type Land Cruiser wheels. I am not to sure but it may even be a possibility to attaché some after market clips for hubs, VW may work. I know summit sells a moon rim for this wheel. Myself I like them without. Tomorrow off to the powder coat folks then to the tire shop then I will post the end results with plenty of pictures.

EmptyName_123.jpg

EmptyName_126.jpg

A few more photos

EmptyName_129.jpg

EmptyName_130.jpg

EmptyName_132.jpg

Those look like a really good fit Love2Fly. So you did wind up purchasing Summit Racing part number :: WVI-12-670604 ?
As this link in one of your previous posts reflects?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-12-670604/overview/
You mentioned having 62 calipers, and pardon my ignorance, but do you think they would fit stock calipers? I am guessing 62 calipers are larger than stock 40 series calipers but thought I'd ask. Hence my ignorance...
And I get that your not a hub cap fan but from what you can tell, if you have a stock hub cap on hand to check, do you think a guy could get the stock caps to work if he wanted to? If he had the clips of course.
Can't wait to see your finished project. Please post all those pics!!!

Those are some nice looking wheels, smooth look. Here's a picture of some clips. The bigger one is stock Toyota and the other is VW type 1. They're just too small.

IMG_2303.JPG

evL MT, Yes did end up with that number WVI-12-670604. I did call the company that makes the wheels (Wheel Vintiques.com) and asked if the wheel comes in a BS of 3.5 and was told yes but it would take several weeks to be made @ few dollars more.
Good question on the caliper comparison of a stock 40 compared to a 62 wheel brake caliper size. Honestly I do not know, that would be one to look up on the MUdd site.
I sold my set of hub caps a few mouths ago so I have no way of knowing about the fit. Sorry.
Scrapdaddy, that sucks on the VW clips. Saw them on Ebay looked to be the same but with that side by side photo - no way. Did you find a better clip source?

Love2fly,

I gave up. I like the no hubcap look anyway, but here's another problem. Stock Toyota wheels have a bump up, for each clip to sit on. Aftermarket wheels don't have that. You would need to make clips, quite a bit longer to compensate for the height.

IMG_2305.JPG

IMG_2304.JPG

That's right they do have a area for them to be riveted onto. That's to bad. Looks as you were on your way with that project.
I also like the AT Mud Terrains you have loaded on your rims. I may check into a sets of them.
Also I have to add an update to my wheel upgrade, went to drop off the wheels and was a little pissed off when the guy said it was going to be $65 a wheel for powder coating that's $260 + the government share. He said he did not know that they were primed and would have to blast them. I had told the lady on the phone that they were primed and she gave me the quote of $45 per. Asked if they would stand by that quote and the they would not so I now am rattle canning with some gloss gray paint. Screw them!
Oh well.

Last edited:
This has been a great thread to read. I am in the exact same boat, looking for replacement 16x7" steel wheels with proper back spacing for my 61 series. I like the utilitarian look of the vintiques and will be ordering some. Do you remember how much a custom back space wheel was going to cost you? You ended up going with the standard 4" back space?

Thanks again for sharing your experience and posting the results. I will be rattle canning mine as well, please let me know how it goes.

Cheers
Cody

Cody, If right I believe it was somewhere around $150 per wheel hence the word custom drives up the cost. You can give them a call and yak with them but the 4" maybe just right for a 61 series FJ. You might do some research on that 61 BS question to include tire size on this site.
The tires you have mounted will make most of the difference on problems as in rubbing and hitting steering and frame components.
I probably may of gotten away with 3.5 BS on this newer 45 series axle but the 4" BS seems to work.
Cheers

Good morning,
Thank you for the reply. For that price I would order up OEM wheels from Toyota....that's a bit prohibitive of a price. A smaller back space moves the wheel further away from steering components etc.. Going from a 3.5" backspace to a 4" back space would move my wheel in closer 0.5". Ill have to do some measuring. Ill be increasing my wheel size from my current 15" to 16" so that should help with clearances as well.
thanks again

Well today the wheels were mated with the tires. Photos show the end look. The gray color seems to be as close as possible to OEM. In the photos they appear blue gray, but it is a steel gray. Gray is a neutral color so this blue is most common with gray in photos just as that beige paint on my rig.
Paint that was used was Rust-Oleum Painters Touch gloss gray paint. Three coats baked with heat lamps.
Will dig up some standard 16mm lug nuts from Rock Auto and this journey will then be complete.
The wheels have no issues with any part of the brake, steering or frame systems as that was my most concerns.
As the pictures show as far as I am concerned that the old toss out steelies looks much better on a LC that spokes. Again that’s just my opinion.
I guess that’s it. For you guys that see this I believe the Summit wheels are good for this application but some may want to have customs which is just as good but the wait is the problem there. I would suggest powder coat as long as you have the time and get a good firm quote. It seems $45 is the going price. The wheels come from Summit primed so you may want to strip them before taking down for powder as you may be able to save a few bucks. Be it a FJ40-45-60-61, the 16x7 is the best wheel platform for sizing different tires on your rig. 15x6, 7 are just okay but limited.
Well I am off to the hills tomorrow to brake in the rims with some good old Mudd.
Thanks for the help. Like to see your rigs when fitted.
Cheers

EmptyName_134.jpg

EmptyName_145.jpg

EmptyName_139.jpg

EmptyName_141.jpg

EmptyName_142.jpg

EmptyName_66.jpg EmptyName_66.jpg EmptyName_142.jpg
A couple of more for the photo fans.

EmptyName_150.jpg

EmptyName_152.jpg

That looks incredible, exactly what I envisioned. A very nice rig. Thank you for paving the way. I will post up when I complete my project.

Cheers

Thank you, I hope this post helps other as it did me with input and ideas. My biggest concern was the correct rim that would clear any unknown items with a after market wheel. Now I know more about back space checking, offset checking, and a few other thing that now I feel a lot more comfortable taking on.
I feel as I got this rig to almost 98% of what it was when new. But they are for use and this one will get used well.
Would like to see a post on what your and others have in your thoughts.
Drive safe

EmptyName_161.jpg

EmptyName_143.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom