Staple/Nail Gun Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys
I am re-upolstering a small plastic seat for my motorcycle. This is done with a staple gun at the factory and is recommended in the same technique for any new seat covers. So... I bought a decent Stanley electric staple gun because it uses a shallow T50 1/4" Arrow brand staples. One of the pneumatic guns I borrowed from a friend has a min staple length of 1/2" which might come right through the plastic seat base poking staples in my arse.

Here is my problem.. the seat base is made of plastic and the staple gun (or staples) will not penetrate plastic and it keeps smashing (bending) the staples. The staple gun has two settings (hard and softer) and it is on the max setting. Are the staples too soft or the staple gun not strong enough? Where can I get a gun that takes shallow staples but can complete this silly little job?

Any advice from you guys is appreciated.

Scott

Part of the problem is that it seems like you are not doing adequate pressure on the seat so the gun is "boucing" slightly when it hits. This makes it so that not all the energy is transferred to the staple and thus it does not have enough oomph to penetrate.

I did this more than a few times when I was building my side panels and reupholstering some seats in the house. Put TONS of pressure on the gun head so it does not bounce and I bet it will penetrate through. Also make sure you have the "tension" of the gun turned all the way up so it is transferring as much energy as possible (which it sounds like you are doing).

Scott,

Plastic is a unique and difficult binding material. You need to use an air operated gun with a short staple.. Even the "good" electric guns don't put out enough force to properly penetrate and then hold plastic. Bending staples = (1) NOT ENOUGH FORCE, (2) improper technique/angle or (3) combination of (1) and (2) collectively....

I have Duo-Fast, Surebond, Grex and Senco air operated guns that serve different purposes with different length and width staples or brads... Never had an issue with any materials.. EXCEPT LEXAN...

Right tool for the job sums it up... if you have a local upholstery shop nearby... they should help you out for a $20 spot.... I would..

GL

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom