17inch wheel choices///Looking for reccomendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok I know its been discussed and I will look/hunt back through the threads.

Truck is a 86 FJ60 with lift.

I'm looking for 17 inch black wheel to run offroad with 35 / 12.50 / 17 tires or something close to that in metric size. Wheels would need to be 8-9 inch wide min and suitable for offroad use.

Big key point....no modifications required to install, no wheel spacers no interference with front axle or related components, no special tricks.

Looking for a 17inch wheel that works (that simple). Please provide brand/model number/source etc?

Must be 17inch wheel, must be 8-9inches wide, must work with the tire size in question and be a bolt on solution without any modification, both to front and rear axle. Not looking for some hybrid alloy crazy $$ expensive street type wheel.

Please post up from real first hand experience.

I'm on the hunt as well, but the only rims I'm finding in 17x8ish with 3.5" BS are $400 beadlocks.

...via IH8MUD app

I know what doesn't work, 17" FJ Cruiser wheels. They need a 1" spacer.

Ditto for Fuel wheels. . .finally gave up and used spacers, damn it.

So to be honest, I don't know if these need spacers (I haven't had the need to pull a wheel off yet) but the truck I just got last month has these American Racing wheels on it...Here is a picture of the sticker on the box (I actually have 7 of these. The PO was worried that if he broke one, he wouldn't be able to get them again, so he bought 5 for the truck and 2 extras) Maybe this helps.
CHKFrtdl.jpg

'09 Tacoma wheels on my '62. 17x7.5"

Went with 2" spacers for them and I love how they look.

fj62.jpg

I know you mentioned no spacers....but I think the FJ Cruiser look great on a 60/62.

Zack

Try the SCS wheels, they are a vendor and believe he makes a set specifically (believe the F-5) for new Toyota offset to fit without spacers.

US Wheel does custom-backspaced 17x8 and 17x9 wheels: http://www.summitracing.com/search/...type/custom-order-wheels/wheel-diameter/17-in

The free shipping on wheels holds true, even though they're cagey about the custom/drop-shipped wheels on the site. I called and asked a while back, and they confirmed that the shipping is free. Also, ignore the colors; I think all of them come in bare steel, so they will need painting/powder coating.

I know you can get custom back spacing on some rock crawler wheels , I bought some 15inch versions in the past through 4wheel parts. You have to call. I see two 17inch here that would be in consideration if I can get 3.5 or close backspacing.

8 inch wide

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Wheels.aspx?t_c=11&t_s=535&t_pt=101508&Wheel Diameter_PQ=17&Bolt Pattern_PQ=6 on 5.5&Finish_PQ=Black&Wheel Width_PQ=8&Construction_PQ=Steel

also in 9 inch wide

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Wheels.aspx?t_c=11&t_s=535&t_pt=101508&Wheel Diameter_PQ=17&Bolt Pattern_PQ=6 on 5.5&Finish_PQ=Black&Construction_PQ=Steel&Wheel Width_PQ=9

Wheels are a little pricey but I guess that may be just the price of fame...

Point of order: if I was getting 17" wheels, and running 35" tires with sufficient lift to fit them in the wheel wells, I'd be happier with the added track width of 3.25" or even 3.0" backspacing.

IMG_0270.jpg
IMG_0586.jpg
17x9 Pro Comp rock crushers. Custom ordered 2.5" backspacing, didn't take long..... 2 weeks? Shipped to my door for free through the (cdn.) retailer I purchased them from. Cheap and tough and best of all not chrome or shiny in any way. :)

(A Canadian Goose flew overhead and dropped that can on my fender, I packed it home and recycled it)

View attachment 886365 View attachment 88636617x9 Pro Comp rock crushers. Custom ordered 2.5" backspacing, didn't take long..... 2 weeks? Shipped to my door for free through the (cdn.) retailer I purchased them from. Cheap and tough and best of all not chrome or shiny in any way. :)

(A Canadian Goose flew overhead and dropped that can on my fender, I packed it home and recycled it)

Don't those wheels have a model number reference....like "series 57"? Pro Comp Rock Crawler?

I have some 17 inch Pro_Comp Rock Crawlers that have been great. I can get the part # tomorrow. 3.5 back spacing, no interference with the brakes.

Only pic I could find easily:

file

If you do any amount of airing down staying to a 8 max wheel would be alot better holding the bead vs a 9 or 10 on the tire you are discussing plus you have a better chance of not having to cut anything.

Don't those wheels have a model number reference....like "series 57"? Pro Comp Rock Crawler?

Yes they do. Ill have to do some digging. Ill see what I can find for you.

I have some 17 inch Pro_Comp Rock Crawlers that have been great. I can get the part # tomorrow. 3.5 back spacing, no interference with the brakes.

Only pic I could find easily:

file

Yes..Please let me know full details. Assuming you are saying they work fine and don't require wheel spacers on the front or rear axle. That would be great info. I'm looking to buy tires shortly (like noted above...something along 35*12.5*17) and if I can get a good line on a 100% working wheel pn or model number I will order those also.

Appreciate all the feedback from everyone...I know this subject comes up all the time or along similar lines.

If you do any amount of airing down staying to a 8 max wheel would be alot better holding the bead vs a 9 or 10 on the tire you are discussing plus you have a better chance of not having to cut anything.

Ok thanks.....some of the tires in this range (on their web sites)...say min wheel width 8.5-10 or so...depending on size. I agree that its probally better to stay around 8. I do air down, in the past that's only been to around 20lbs though on the 60 as I don't like to go too low based on weight of the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom