I have 24 days to build this trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wed night was all just CAD programming. Thursday night I cut all of the parts out on the laser and bent most of them up. Tonight I will bend the rest and collect all of the tubing and hardware and sheet metal and cart them all home for a weekend of welding and assembly.
IMG_4497.JPG
IMG_4503.JPG
IMG_4504.JPG

Why not telescoping tubes anchored to the frame rather than the lid? At least then you won't have to lift the RTT every time you want into the trailer. Find Boxrocket's build thread here or @ Expi for more on this.

I like this better. Telescoping vertical posts stick out the sides and ruin the aesthetics and are more complicated to make work correctly. If the four posts don't lift equally it can rack and jamb. My parallelogram is simple and "internal" when stowed. It doesn't affect any other feature of the trailer and can be removed all together if I want to.

Also with the tent flipped out the hinged side, opening the lid doesn't affect the tent unless there is someone in it. And these trailers are small so reaching in through the tailgate is always available.

But who knows, I haven't built it yet so it may not work at all:doh:

Like this.... but higher. As long as no one is in the tent.

SIDE SIDE.jpg

"Prayforsurf" went with your type of design for an RTT on a sort-of lumber rack to put the RTT below the top of the cab in transit mode. Pics of it on Expi and Amer. Advent.

Fully aware of the +'s and -'s for each design, still think that telescoping is the better solution, but it's your rig.

9 days left! Looks great. Sure is heavy duty enough.

No time to explain right now but here are some pictures. I'm so tired I can't think straight and I'm like a zombie here at work.
IMG_4506.JPG
IMG_4507.JPG
IMG_4509.JPG

more
IMG_4510.JPG
IMG_4512.JPG

IMG_4513.JPG

Last edited:
Looking great Kevin. :cheers:

Gonna enjoy checking it out in Moab.

More pics from the weekend. I finished the tub on Sunday and delivered it to the powder coater on Monday morning. I was in the garage late Monday night and until 3:00am last night finishing the lid and lift assy. The Tub and frame are painted. Might get them transported over to work today.

IMG_4515.JPG

IMG_4516.JPG

IMG_4517.JPG

more
IMG_4518.JPG
IMG_4519.JPG
IMG_4520.JPG

smore
IMG_4521.JPG
IMG_4522.JPG
IMG_4523.JPG

again.
IMG_4525.JPG
IMG_4526.JPG
IMG_4527.JPG

yup
IMG_4528.JPG
IMG_4529.JPG
IMG_4532.JPG

Last one from this morning when I dropped off the lid and lift mech for powder. Should be done today. I took some really bad video of the lift mechanism with one gas spring installed during fabricating it. I'll see if I can get it uploaded today. It works awesome. In the above pics the lid is sitting on cheap stamped metal saw horses and with the lift up in position I climbed on top and that thing is rock solid. Not twisty or wobbleish at all. I could barely pull it down with one shock (150lb). Because the parallelogram is fully flat when down there is no "lift" present.... or IOW, it will not lift itself without a tug from a single operator best done from either side with a two handed lift of the side of the deck. Once lifted a couple of inches the gas spring takes over and up she goes.
IMG_4533.JPG

That looks totally amazing.... can't wait to see it.

ah, interested in your approach to the tongue end. Was thinking of doing something like that with a rotating lunette. Did you already discuss this above?

I searched high and low for an all inclusive rotating lunette part that I could just order and weld on but couldn't find anything that wasn't an overly pricey military original (as I know you know). So I bought a standard type lunette with a big-assed stud off the back and made up some pieces on the laser in order to connect it to the drawbar. The trick part of it is this... there are a couple of plates where the bolt goes through just like you would expect and then some sides to connect it..... but I added a plate that in effect only allows the lunette to rotate 45° in either direction. I did this by accurately measuring the collar of the lunette I bought and cutting a custom plate that is welded at the front. When the 90° of rotation allowed is added to the lunette's natural built in rotation limits I think it should be enough not to bind if the truck and trailer had opposite sides in the same rut and hopefully not enough to allow the trailer to flop at low speed off-road. On road or at high speed the leverage and weight will just bend something anyway.

The rotation limit really wasn't needed but I figured why not give it a try.

This model shown here is done in 3/8" plate but that was way too heavy. One of those "it looked good on my computer screen" deals that doesn't work in real life. I ended up using 3/16 plate and it's still heavy-duty.

lunette.JPG

nice work. is the lunette going to be readily removable once installed?
As in can you reach the nut through a bottom opening or something like that?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom