Blown steering gear, rebuild? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jblueridge

SILVER Star
Threads
Went for a drive only to have me recently "professionally rebuilt" steering gear blow the output shaft seal.

If I decide not to send it back to those goombahs, anyone know of some reputable rebuilders?

got a picture which you speak? I replaced some of the seals on mine but have not been able to stop a leak from the part that the steering wheel shaft attaches to. Tried some thread sealant this time will have to wait and see if it holds. You can source replacement seals from a car parts store or bearing shop. Take measurements and take those with you. The factory parts ones I ordered from Toyota are supperceeded part numbers that don't fit at all, totally different size.

Actually, all I know is the transmission fluid in the power steering has poured out of the steering gear box. It's not related to a hose... it all seems to have come from the exit point of the steering arm shaft.
I really don't want to send this thing away to get fixed again, but I also want to get what I paid for.
I'll get a pic tomorrow.

Yes, the splined vertical shaft.

the seal for that should have the following dimensions. 32x48x7. The first time I put this seal in it still seeped a little so I added a next size tighter seal to the first one. No leaks. Having trouble sealing the other end. Give it a few days of use to see if I succeeded in stopping any leaks.

The superseded part number is the wrong size, at least for my box.

image.jpeg

Who rebuilt it? I think you meant a reseal. - rebuild would include a new power piston and a new sector shaft.

I would be making a phone call for warranty discussion.

Shop is named Steer & Gear.
It took forever for them to get my stuff back to me.

Yes, I want them to at least pay something.

I sent mine to West Texas Off-Road per recommendation of multiple friends and people here on MUD:

wtor

I haven't run it yet since my truck is in pieces, but people seem to have had good success with WTOR. I sent mine on a Monday, and I got it back on the same week on a Friday.

Hope the shop covers your troubles for this.

-Alberto

They say I should just ship pump and gear back to them. They say they will deal with it.

I should have sought recommendations here first.

I too have used WTOR on my 80 as well as my 60. Decent work.

That said, you need to be clear with them whether you want a **reseal** or a **rebuild**... huge difference.

And too many people use "rebuild" loosely when all they are getting is a reseal.

I installed it, bled the system, drove it, had no power assist below 1,000 rpm, bled again with no change of results, went for a drive and the seal blew after 20 minutes.

I spoke to the shop in Ohio.
They want me to send the stuff for them to see what has happened. I was told that blowing the seal "doesn't usually happen."
I am thinking of NOT using them again because they are slow and apparently incompetent.

Is it likely the power steering pump is damaged? I ran it about 30 miles with very little fluid after the seal blow-out. It whined for a while, then stopped.

Beno, Is there a rebuild kit available with all the required contents for an 'as new' rebuild?
A friend said that Toyota has a kit, do you have a part number?

jblue - Since the pitman arm is fresh on and off, have you thought of doing it yourself?
I am going to rebuild one myself, because I'm a masochist and prefer to do something that takes double the time,
and twice the price.
Mind you, I did just look at the West Texas Offroad site, and if I was south of the 49th I'd probably consider sending
it away to them. But then the truck is out of commission for duration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom