Rubiconned rear axle... Can't remove axle(s) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Aww, you guys are starting to make me feel nostalgic. I used to wheel my '42 Ford GP across the river from you when La Rivera was just dredger tailings and I was going to Sacratomato State. You are way too young to be having those kind of orthopedic problems. It doesn't get any better when you get older. Trust me on this one.
I went to Slack State too! :D

Remember Bassi Falls before they closed the trail?! I got to run it a few times before it was closed

I haven't been in there for 20 years. It used to be you could drive all around on the west side of the Pacific crest to twin lakes and Barrett lake, etc. I fished all those lakes and streams. Many of those roads were put in by PG&E to build the dams on those lakes. My sister in law's uncle was an old time fisherman and has one of the lakes named after him, RoPi, which stands for Ross Pierce. Other trails were put in by cattle men who ran stock all over in there in the summer. I think that the only thing that kept the Rubicon open was the fact that it was always a county road that went all the way to Lake Tahoe.

Last edited:
I haven't been in there for 20 years. It used to be you could drive all around on the west side of the Pacific crest to twin lakes and Barrett lake, etc. I fished all those lakes and streams. Many of those roads were put in by PG&E to build the dams on those lakes. My sister in law's uncle was an old time fisherman and has one of the lakes named after him, RoPi, which stands for Ross Pierce. Other trails were put in by cattle men who ran stock all over in there in the summer. I think that the only thing that kept the Rubicon open was the fact that it was always a county road that went all the way to Lake Tahoe.
Sadly, motor or and wheeled traffic on the trail is prohibited now, and for the last 15yrs or so. The fire road is open to the lower falls and now it's a tourist attraction on summer weekends. Had a buddy that worked for forest service on the clean up when it was closed down, they pulled 800lbs of beer cans and 500lbs of beer bottles out of there, and 5 abandoned vehicles, three were torched. Makes me livid as that was a fun day trip for the family I now have, that will never get to enjoy it. You ever run Deer Valley?

Deer valley has to be one of the prettiest trails that is accessible to most people. It is the trail that the is the site of the annual FJ45 run. I used to go there and camp at Blue lakes with my kids and take the trail to deer valley to fish deer creek and blue lakes creek. I never caught any fish in the creek, but lots in Blue lakes.

@Pin_Head If you haven't been in a while, the websites say it's closed. I talked to Del Albright a few months ago and he said it's open on the south end (hwy4?) only, and the farthest they want people going is the water crossing. I got some story about the traffic eroding the water crossing and sending silt downstream blah blah blah. So if you plan on going that way, remember the 88/89 entrance is closed.

I'm not surprised. Every year more and more gets closed. The FS could fix the water crossing silting if they wanted to by installing concrete pavers like they do down here but they would rather have the trail closed as a pretext to keeping the deplorable riff raff out.

I'm not surprised. Every year more and more gets closed. The FS could fix the water crossing silting if they wanted to by installing concrete pavers like they do down here but they would rather have the trail closed as a pretext to keeping the deplorable riff raff out.

I'm convinced it's part of their master plan to shut all the trails down eventually. Close lots of trails, force people to use only a handful of trails then close those down when conditions become bad due to the excessive traffic. Slick Rock is a perfect example of this after Strawberry and Deer Valley were shut down.

With all the trails closed, then we won't need any USFS or BLM personnel any more except those that check the gates.

I believe the plan is to open it up again next year. Along with a couple of other trails in the Blue Lake area.

Sadly, motor or and wheeled traffic on the trail is prohibited now, and for the last 15yrs or so. The fire road is open to the lower falls and now it's a tourist attraction on summer weekends. Had a buddy that worked for forest service on the clean up when it was closed down, they pulled 800lbs of beer cans and 500lbs of beer bottles out of there, and 5 abandoned vehicles, three were torched. Makes me livid as that was a fun day trip for the family I now have, that will never get to enjoy it. You ever run Deer Valley?
I used to wheel there too. My last trip was right before they closed it. I wasn't surprised they closed it, what I saw there was nothing short of tragic.

Viola~
IMG_20160930_155055479.jpg

So it came out pretty easy, had to torch the collar in thirds. I'll take pics of that thing later, and the shift fork. So I was careful to clean as much out as I could after I got the third member out an in the bench before turning the gears, and they, the spiders, bearings and everything "looks" ok. So I turned it and the R&P have a tiny bit of play, which I've seen as normal lash after break-in as these gears are less than a year old. So, I go to turn the pinion flange, and it doesn't turn smoothly, evenly, all the way around. Some spots it sticks a bit. I oiled all the bearings and it stayed the same. I was very careful not to torch too close, or too long in one spot, and caked some cool-jel around the cap, and inner locker cog, and ring gear to try and deflect heat away from the carrier, and I checked the play a bunch beforehand and it felt the same, but was in the housing so it wasn't as bad as the 3rd was bolted in place. Gonna take it in regardless and have it all checked out, but has anyone read or done the brass deflection bolt I read of in an archive thread? I'm wondering if the pinion deflected enough to compromise it a bit, to where it doesn't turn smoothly. Maybe I'm overthinking it?

Congratulations! That was easy peasy. I can tell you are PWT from the pictures because you have the same POS Taiwan bench grinder that I have.

Definitely check the pinion and other bearings if it turns rough. Just get a new crush sleeve.

Yeah, it's a cheapo, but it works great, and it was a hand me down from my late grandfather. I can't complain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom