Fresh 1fze rebuild strong oil smell on decell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mcdesignsoffroad.com
Hey guys,

I've been trying to figure out why I'm having a strong oil smoke smell during deceleration in our freshly rebuilt 95. I haven't been able to find anything loose or missing in the engine compartment. The truck does't smoke during start up and doesn't seem to while driving.

The only modification to the engine is the 90* Ford filter adapter. The head was rebuilt about 3,000 miles before the long block-both were rebuilt by the same shop and I put them back together.

I'm not sure if or how much oil consumption there may be. I will have to check on that. I'm on my second batch of oil after the rebuild using Rotella and the special zinc break in additive.

Is there a pcv valve or something else I should be looking at?

Couple things I noticed immediately after my rebuild that smelled funny for a while:

FIPG on exhaust heat shields I used to glue metal washers in place as a repair
Charcoal filter smelled very funny-not like gasoline-had not before. Recently changed and smell stopped
Fresh paint in several places may have been baking
All hoses are new. Some may be heating up.
Very small coolant leak from a firewall heater hose, dripping onto the rear of the block, evaping.

Took about 3000 miles for all those new smells to stop. Just my $.02

Not sure on that one. Those points @gsi18867 pointed out make sense for sure. I have certainly seen older domestic engines burn oil during break in, not sure about the 1fz-fe. Deceleration will pull high vacuum so it may pull some oil up from the crankcase around the rings I suppose while the new rings are seating. Just my barely educated guess. Did you get the work done in G.R? I know of a lot of shops but haven't seen any Toyota savvy engine shops yet.

Where or how are you smelling it? Is it coming in from the vents, the windows? If you follow it in another car, can you see or smell it?

I'd look at the edge of the head by the heat shields. All should be nice and dry where the head meets the block.

Also check your transmission and power steering fluid level.

It comes in through the cabin especially if I have one window open. There are no leaks from the head, valve cover or anywhere onto the exhaust manifold. I've only been in the driver's seat since it's been running again.

I haven't finished the exhaust back to the bumper yet. It dumps just behind the rear axle, just outboard of the frame. There is no cat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom