2016 What have you done to your 4X4 lately? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another good one would be Mt Of the Holy Cross.

Holy Cross

Going to be in that area in September, that trail was right up at the top of my list until I started reading about it. The parts where they say, you may need a buggy, or even buggies might not make it through, made me change my mind.

Replacing power antenna cable. WOW. Not much compared to some of you guys. But hey, I'll still be factory and not flexi-whipped. What fun it that? Oh and new stereo and speakers but again small taters compared to the big dog projects I see. I will be glad to have reception and not hear gravel when I jam Steely Dan.

IMG_6446.JPG
Got a bunch of small
Parts blasted and degreased, ready to prime.

Do those hood hinges have fj25 stamped on them?

Do those hood hinges have fj25 stamped on them?
It's hard to read, but I think they say BJ5825 and the B kind of looks like an overstrike on an F. They're off my early '65 FJ40. Anybody want to help me figure out how to re-install the bifold "guillotine" rear door?

Replaced power antenna mast/cable. $40 for OEM parts and 1.5 hours of easy work plus :30 hell mounting motor bracket back on to that one bolt with everything aligned. Sealed, new OEM parts, works great, have a helper for second hands! Nice to have good radio signal again from distant stations.

Mitch and I went through his cooling system PHH, rear heat bypass, blue fan mod, hoses, t-stat, etc. before the HWM trip last week. We were seeing 195 avg and up to 215 during climbs on the June HWM tip...which didn't concern me but with the general consensus that these temps were higher than avg for an 80 we figured we'd go through it. No change with flush, hoses, t-stat and bypass. Then installed a new Asian Blue Hub fan clutch calibrated to 95 deg on the stove top and replaced fluid with 20K. This brought street temps down to low 180's and we never saw it climb above 189 on this past trip. Actually ran cooler climbing than descending with the fan operating at higher rpm and offsetting engine load. I don't buy into a lot of the witchcraft that gets posted but I can attest that this mod worked for us quite well.

Mitch and I went through his cooling system PHH, rear heat bypass, blue fan mod, hoses, t-stat, etc. before the HWM trip last week. We were seeing 195 avg and up to 215 during climbs on the June HWM tip...which didn't concern me but with the general consensus that these temps were higher than avg for an 80 we figured we'd go through it. No change with flush, hoses, t-stat and bypass. Then installed a new Asian Blue Hub fan clutch calibrated to 95 deg on the stove top and replaced fluid with 20K. This brought street temps down to low 180's and we never saw it climb above 189 on this past trip. Actually ran cooler climbing than descending with the fan operating at higher rpm and offsetting engine load. I don't buy into a lot of the witchcraft that gets posted but I can attest that this mod worked for us quite well.

Still on the original radiator ?

Decided to make a fiberglass enclosure in the rear quarter for a sub. Started with a foam mold, then wrapped it in HVAC tape

Flying blind here. Not very much exposure to sub enclosures or fiberglass molds.

Plan is to wrap this in three or four layers of fiberglass and resin, scrape out the foam, put a MDF front on it for the speaker.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Yep, 132k and counting. Not replacing that until it tells me too.

They do build up quite a bit of deposits, more age related than mileage. I noticed a consistent 10 degree drop when I replaced mine last year. That's with no modification to the fan clutch.

So, what started out as thinking I need to swap out my rear 4:10 3rd member, may just be a u-joint after all. As a few of you know, before AR, I started hearing a non consistent tinging in my rear. Felt and sounded like it was to the rear of the truck away from the t-case, so we pulled my rear driveshaft (which I just did u-joints in late last year). When we pulled mine, it definitely has a hard kink limiting free motion, so I thought great, jst the u-joint. But then we threw in Foo's spare which seemed good at the time, and of course the noise continued.

Then after the AR, trip, my rear pinion started weeping, and then pretty much puking diff fluid, along with the noise getting way worse.

So last night I went to pull the rear driveshaft to start dismantling the rear diff, and the u-joint at the axle had disintegrated (it was actually sheared off of one side).

So this week I'll replace the pinion seal, and swap in new u-joints, and hopefully find that was the whole issue the whole time.

u joint.jpg

Work is crushing me today!!!! somebody give me an update on happy times...

I wish I could say that mine is all buttoned back up, but family has needed all of my time since Saturday! Hoping to crawl under this evening and get it all back together. Then refill the diff tomorrow, get it back out of the garage, air back up and test drive. Same here with work!! Someone chime in with happiness!

Getting ready for liner spray? What color?

@cjmoon got pics of your trailer liner spray job?

Here is a flex and stuff shot for you @2fpower
20161011_163611.jpg

20161011_163646.jpg

Still looking for a rig in that photo... Where's waldo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom