Need a good high back camp chair... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

reznunt

Massive Metal Shop
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
massivemetalshop.com
Something that will support my neck/head when sitting around the fire. It needs to support 200 lb and last longer than a few seasons. I'm willing to pay for quality. Been looking and haven't found anything stellar. Any recommendations?

If you can find a dealer that stocks them, these are pretty nice.
Strong Arm Chair
Strong%20Arm%20Touring%20Chair.jpg

This one is similar in design, but I prefer the seat back of the above one better.
ARB SPORT CAMPING CHAIR (10500100)
10500100_1.jpg

I have the ARB chair above and it is one of the best camp chairs I've owned.

This is the most comfortable chair I've ever used.

https://www.amazon.com/Kelsyus-Mesh-Backpack-Camp-Chair/dp/B0018COT7Y

You can nap in it. It's close to the ground to support your legs and can rock back a bit in soft ground to angle you back a bit. Without a doubt my most favorite chair.

Also it has built in straps, so it can easily be carried long distances like a backpack with ease.
I would carry this chair (like a backpack) with me to my favorite lookout every evening at sunset a few hundred yards away and hang out in couch potato luxury watching the sun sets.

Since it's all mesh, you never get a sweaty butt... Really important in hot climates.

It's inexpensive and lightweight. If it wears out in a year, so what. Buy another one.

image.jpeg

Looks like it needs a slightly taller headrest.

You can nap in it. It's close to the ground to support your legs and can rock back a bit in soft ground to angle you back a bit. Without a doubt my most favorite chair.

Also it has built in straps, so it can easily be carried long distances like a backpack with ease.
I would carry this chair (like a backpack) with me to my favorite lookout every evening at sunset a few hundred yards away and hang out in couch potato luxury watching the sun sets.

Since it's all mesh, you never get a sweaty butt... Really important in hot climates.

It's inexpensive and lightweight. If it wears out in a year, so what. Buy another one.

View attachment 1320507

Thanks! I was looking at this one but the reviews and the super cheap price scared me. I'm going to pull the trigger on it though since it looks so comfy. I'll probably buy two since I don't want it to break while on a trip like my last chair did.

I just can't sit in a sling type chair for very long without it doing a number on my back. I prefer the more upright chairs for any occasion, size and weight is of no concern to me.

OK a "camp" chair...... I'm afraid anything with that name attached will not meet your needs. Why? Because they're my needs too and I've looked at them ALL. Believe me. My solution was to find a comfy chair and disregard the extra weight and cost, as I believe you have stated in your opening remarks. So I offer you the humble Gravity chair. This is the one I'm using and it's quite good though there are many to choose from on say Amazon.

High back, sturdy, oversized for comfort and room, and though heavy-ish at 21 lbs it's still easily carried. You can sit upright perfectly, or lean it back and take a nap! It's a bit pricey but not crazily so at $119. Holds 350 lbs!

They also make an identical looking rocking chair that I might have gotten instead, if I wasn't usually on sand.

Let me know what you think because I know of other choices that may work.

71%2Bjn53rxpL._SX425_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017B9PPHA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Funny story, it's got real wood arm rests but they were finished in a cheap looking thin satin clear coat of some kind. Durable enough but many reviews of this chair called it fake wood plastic arm rests and it took a good long look for me to see that it wasn't actually plastic. So I gave them a light sanding and brushed on some Helmsman's Spar Varnish, a good quality marine varnish used on boats, since I'm usually in a marine environment. Three coats later the wood shines like a polished gemstone and it brought out and magnified all the grains in the wood plus a light crossways 'flaming' that was not at all visible before.

Last edited:
I've been fairly happy with the Coleman Sling Chair. It won't give the head support the OP is looking for but it does offer more back support than most folding camp chairs.

coleman-sling-chair-green-[3]-7701-p.jpg

The "gravity" chairs are nice if you have space. I spend many hours on the dock during the summer, awake, sleeping, awake, sleeping. For the trips, I have Kijaro chairs that are like $30, very supportive, and durable for 6'0 plus person. They don't have neck support though.

The "gravity" chairs are nice if you have space. I spend many hours on the dock during the summer, awake, sleeping, awake, sleeping. For the trips, I have Kijaro chairs that are like $30, very supportive, and durable for 6'0 plus person. They don't have neck support though.

The only difference between the G-chair and the high-ish back regular style folding chair I had before it is about is 2 or 3 inches in depth or "thickness". There's almost got to be 3" somewhere in some plane in most trucks when packed.

As I mentioned to the OP there are other good choices too, and here's one of them. I had this one for three years before I screwed up and killed it. No telling how long it would have lasted otherwise.

Extra-Wide Folding Padded Outdoor Chair

Thanks for all the replies!

View attachment 1320507

I think I may gamble on this one since it's cheap and light and looks like it may provide the support I'm after. If I don't like it for whatever reason, then my wife will have a brand new camp chair lol.

OK a "camp" chair...... I'm afraid anything with that name attached will not meet your needs. Why? Because they're my needs too and I've looked at them ALL. Believe me. My solution was to find a comfy chair and disregard the extra weight and cost, as I believe you have stated in your opening remarks. So I offer you the humble Gravity chair. This is the one I'm using and it's quite good though there are many to choose from on say Amazon.

High back, sturdy, oversized for comfort and room, and though heavy-ish at 21 lbs it's still easily carried. You can sit upright perfectly, or lean it back and take a nap! It's a bit pricey but not crazily so at $119. Holds 350 lbs!

They also make an identical looking rocking chair that I might have gotten instead, if I wasn't usually on sand.

Let me know what you think because I know of other choices that may work.

71%2Bjn53rxpL._SX425_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017B9PPHA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Funny story, it's got real wood arm rests but they were finished in a cheap looking thin satin clear coat of some kind. Durable enough but many reviews of this chair called it fake wood plastic arm rests and it took a good long look for me to see that it wasn't actually plastic. So I gave them a light sanding and brushed on some Helmsman's Spar Varnish, a good quality marine varnish used on boats, since I'm usually in a marine environment. Three coats later the wood shines like a polished gemstone and it brought out and magnified all the grains in the wood plus a light crossways 'flaming' that was not at all visible before.

I will work my way up to this one after trying a few of the cheaper ones first. But this one definitely looks like the most comfortable one. If it turns out to be too big or heavy to pack, I can always use it at home.

I had a chance to try out this chair last weekend, very comfortable. A bit large but well worth it and it reclines.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Yup they sure ain't cheap!

But I fished in this second one for years until, genius that I am, I mounted a quick fist to the upper leg to hold a rod when I had to get up and do something else. I mounted it with a hose clamp that was wearing away at the seat material underneath until one day it just ripped apart. With no way to repair the fabric, the chair frame and cushion are sitting in my garage. With a 650 lb weight limit that thing would have lasted a long long time.

I liked it right off, it looks like the pilots seat in a B-52!

pX2063

Ive seen people put release pins in their driving chair so they can remove it easily and mount it to a base for around the campfire. Don't have any pics.

Something that will support my neck/head when sitting around the fire. It needs to support 200 lb and last longer than a few seasons. I'm willing to pay for quality. Been looking and haven't found anything stellar. Any recommendations?
Yup, the ZG (zero gravity) chairs are just what you're looking for. Mine has the "Timber Ridge" logo on it. Has a removable head rest, which of course, means high back to support your neck/head. Mine has plastic arm rests, camo fabric, removable cupholder and can lock into any reclined position. Got it at Costco a couple of years ago for around $45 - should have bought 2 :(. The best thing hasn't been mentioned yet about these ZG chairs. And that is - it gets your feet off the ground. And outdoors with crawling bugs and critters that are attracted to the heat of a campfire - well, 'nuff said...:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom