Best Cordless Power Tools? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

with 60v or 120v DC you could run some serious stuff - even if only for a short time. What I really like about the DW 40v yard tools is that the one I have has 2 6AH 40v batteries. That's a lot more battery than most of the 40v yard tools that generally only have 2ah batteries. Looks like the std DW 60v system batteries are only 2ah at 60v / 4ah at 40v / 6ah at 20v. That's huge for a 20v tool, but not really all that much compared to the 6 or 7.5ah batteries on the 40v dedicated tools. But, my guess is that more batteries are on the way. And doubling them on some tools means some serious battery power. I'd love to try the table saw or 12" compound miter to see if they're even halfway decent. Not sure I'd seriously consider buying either though.

What would be possible with the right system would be a micro portable welder. Imagine for example a spool gun with a battery pack and a small CO2 cartridge! Ultimate trail welder. With the right battery packs it could actually provider some heavy duty welding capability - albeit for a short period of time - in a very compact little package.

Those DW 40V batteries are not light and guess going to 120V from batteries are gonna be heavy .. and kinda bulky ( less than a welder and generator for sure ) love to see where they are going tho

Speaking about ..

Black & Decker owns DeWalt ..?

I didn't have the chance to own a B&D tool .. but by reviews and appearance ( they are improoving bog time on this ) they look inferior quality than DeWalt .. why is that .?

Speaking about ..

Black & Decker owns DeWalt ..?

I didn't have the chance to own a B&D tool .. but by reviews and appearance ( they are improoving bog time on this ) they look inferior quality than DeWalt .. why is that .?

Dewalt Stanley and black and decker are all one company basically they have different grades of tools for different needs and price points for different consumer groups small home day projects don't need the reliability of a higher end Dewalt Black and a decker will do just fine for the occasional picture mount on a wall.

After seeing the abuse a Hitachi DH38Y rotary hammer can take, I bought one of their 18v LI hammer drills. Going on 5 yeas now with no issues.

The best tools are the ones you can get for cheap or free! I like to go to swap meets to find good stuff for cheap. Bought a like new 18v Milwaukee drill (nicd) and impact with good batteries and charger for 50$ recently. Made in USA too. Too bad most are made overseas now.
I have heard from a few carpenters through the years that metabo is very well made.

Last edited:
Milwaukee M12 and M18

I use the M12 ⅜ impact wrench, drill/driver, and ¼ impact

M18 for ½ impact, hammer drill, and sawzall

Love them all

I ended up with more Dewalt stuff. I went for the better kit with the 5ah batteries and brushless motors (drill and impact). So far the 5ah 20v batteries seem to last a good long time. And it is handy to have backward compatibility with the adapter. So far so good. The one big downside is weight. They are still pretty heavy tools compared to some other brands.
61opO2f6AVL._SY355_.jpg

The best tools are the ones you can get for cheap or free! I like to go to swap meets to find good stuff for cheap. Bought a like new 18v Milwaukee drill (nicd) and impact with good batteries and charger for 50$ recently. Made in USA too. Too bad most are made overseas now.
I have heard from a few carpenters through the years that metabo is very well made.

Nothing more fun than carrying a tool for a few weeks, just to discover that it will wear out the heads of bolts funny, even more frustrating if is power tool..

My mosty trusted tools are usually scrapy, old, grinded, polished on parts by excessive use, re-work, re build, but we have been around for a long time and understand the limitations, drawbacks and inherent advantages, trust and reliability are everything.

I still wonder how people take a brand new pair of boots on a two week hike on a place they don't know..

To extreme of a statement but If I can not trust something will my life, I don't need it around at least in the field.

"A Parachute that you can not trust is going to open, is no bueno" you need AK Certainty, even if i'm not into the bumm, bumm stuff..

Always used Makita, but two of my batteries are starting to go now and will be looking at what is new. They have been through hell though and still work well including my 120V grinder.

I have quite a few Milwaukee fuel 12v and 18v tools and love them. Also have quite a few makita 18v li-ion tools and those are awesome too. Ive played with the dewalt li-ion 20v stuff a little and seems nice too but been real impressed with the 12/18v fuel impacts and the torque theyre putting out. Makita's new 1/2 brushless impact looks like a beast as well. Anyway they all seem like a good choice but nice to pick a brand and run with it or you end up like me having 3 different 18v li-ion battery types.

Makita has always been the best cordless for me. Milwaukee 2nd

A place like "Batteries + Bulbs" can replace the cells inside your battery packs. At least my local location will.
@Corbet are you talking about just the Makita brand or all? May have to ask them about this at my local.

@Corbet are you talking about just the Makita brand or all? May have to ask them about this at my local.
Batteries+Bulbs rebuilt two of my DeWalt 9.6v packs. Words of caution: If the packs aren't screwed together, they will need to sever the bond and then use whatever glue they use to put the container together. I've had to re-glue the one that didn't use screws several times, as it tends to come apart when being removed from the tool/charger. Also, it wasn't cheap getting them rebuilt. Better to look on Amazon or eBay for a replacement battery.

Batteries+Bulbs rebuilt two of my DeWalt 9.6v packs. Words of caution: If the packs aren't screwed together, they will need to sever the bond and then use whatever glue they use to put the container together. I've had to re-glue the one that didn't use screws several times, as it tends to come apart when being removed from the tool/charger. Also, it wasn't cheap getting them rebuilt. Better to look on Amazon or eBay for a replacement battery.
Thanks for the info, that was actually going to be the next question was how was the quality and price for doing it.

Don't buy anything Makita from Home Depot. Cheaper guts, not the same.

I got replacement batteries for my Makita drill from ExportPower through Amazon Prime. 18v 3000mAh for $54. Works great.

Don't buy anything Makita from Home Depot. Cheaper guts, not the same.
Oh tell me about it...

No joke and I have the pictures to prove it...

I spend about a Hour with a very skillful Makita Tech at a demo at M&M tools in Salt lake city about a month aho, Oh man all those model numbers on tools make a lot of sense and tell a long long story...

Bigger better bearings, cold forgot vs Metal mush gears, so many differences.

Last edited:
I commented earlier in this thread on the new Dewalt 20v stuff, I'm still very impressed. Helped build the set yesterday for my kid's school musical, drove probably 100 3 1/2" grabbers into studs, battery went down one bar in charge, still 2/3 capacity. The Dewalt #2 bits on the other hand . . . don't last long.

I also apparently need to turn the corner on impact drivers. I was using the drill/driver from my kit, I rarely use the impact driver. The other 2 peeps working with me were both using impact drivers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom