Exhaust manifold delema (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a JTO header and am not real happy with figment. I'm debating on going back to stock. Does anyone have some sound advice for me? 1/73 fj 40 desmogged, trollhole carb on its way.

Thanks for any advice
Btbuild

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks pin head for the gasket info! More of the problem is that the washer that is correctly sized for intake will not catch enough of the header for consistent pull down.

You'll have to split a washer in half then use another washer on top of that to capture the exhaust manifold.

After many attempts at fixing exhaust leak the remflex gasket worked for me. I did try the OEM first. And the split washer advice is something I had to do as well. I did have to do the install three times before I achieve no exhaust leaks. My manifold was from a donor truck, which I am told can cause minor alignment issues.

Is that manifold just a thick piece of steel (not cast iron)? Could you carefully build out some with weld? Then grind to shape? I know once you start welding then it is yours to keep. Or just use a larger washer. Or send it back.
I understand your dilemma. Your rig is looking fantastic and you want every piece to be exact.

The header flange is clearanced for the 12mm studs used on a 2F. I would purchase a set of stepped studs, and the larger associated hardware. It's not just a matter of aesthetics. If the ports are offset, it puts extra and unnecessary work/stress on the gasket.

I can sell you the hardware along with a heavy duty gasket. Together, they should make minimum order requirements.

No PMs please.

Best

Mark

www.marksoffroad.net

Thanks for all the great suggestions and advice! I think I've come to a solution of having to tig a special made washers together to make up the differences in off set and a thickness difference of 2.3 thousandths on average.
I do have one more question for Mark, if I was to get the stepped studs, would I not have to modify intake? Intake is already tight to studs and honed flat and true.

Thank everyone
Barrett

Personally, I think a stock manifold is more appropriate for your cruiser, but the Remflex will be able to deal with that kind of fit up problems whether you make custom washers or not.

Pin head
The stock manifold is still in the running. I just need a clean way to plug the old deteriorated heat riser stuff. Seems like it's always something.

Some Header flanges were cut (past tense) where the Header flange actually wrapped around the mounting stud and hit/contacted the aluminum intake manifold, it appears JTO went out of their way to eliminate that problem, perhaps too far though??? I'm thinking some custom washer work is the remedy here.

Downey
Im going to try making up some custom washers. If it looks like crap, its back to stock. Man I wish Mark was making his try y headers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom