Builds My First Land Cruiser! Just Discovered this Forum. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used to rock climb up there near Ka'ena point when I was stationed in Pearl. I loved the island but not so much the traffic and the people. Great looking 80 and you have certainly come to the right place for information. Make sure you have a solid spare at the point. The rocks up there can be pretty sharp and you'll slice a sidewall or blow the bead in a hurry. The compressor setup is a great idea for running on the sand.
Thanks for the info. I've been up to Ka'ena point once, but would like to go up again sometime soon.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Its great to see everyone turning over a new leaf and being so outwardly helpful for the newbies. Its refreshing and a sure sign of great things to come for every other newbie who comes to the site. The days of "have you searched" and "did you check the FAQs" are obviously over. :cheers:

But you're still an A-Hole Joey LOL ;)

Well, it's been a little over a year since I brought home my first Land Cruiser and joined this forum. I don't have any kind of build thread, most updates have been in the "what have you done with your 80" section. Since this thread was my first post, figured it was an appropriate place to recap what I've had done to my 80 over the last year. Here are the latest pictures of its current progress:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Quite a bit accomplished in one year of ownership, I almost don't even remember that it looked like this the first day I brought it home:
image.jpeg

I consider myself really lucky to have found one that was nearly rust free and very well maintained inside and out over the last 20 years, made for a great platform for how I wanted it to be. Plus, I still love posing with it just as much as when I first got it....guess I must still be in the honeymoon phase with it!
image.jpeg

And here are the upgrades, mods, and maintenance over the last year. A lot of these pictures have been posted before, but wanted to have them in one place to keep a timeline of the progress.

First on the list was catching up on some maintenance. Had all the fluids and oils changed out: engine oil, diffs, trans, PS, break, and complete coolant flush. Changed all rubber coolant hoses and deleted rear heater. Replaced all vacuum lines up top and charcoal canister and fuel vapor lines. Also extended diff beat her lines. Big thanks to @cruiserdan and @beno for all the help sourcing the parts.
image.jpeg

Had new tires put on. Went with 285 BFG ATs.
image.jpeg

Did a suspension upgrade. Went with 2.5 OME for this. Did the heavy springs up in front and mediums in the rear.
image.jpeg

Snorkel installed, Malaysian especial. Never seen my man sweat so much before he committed and drilled that 4 inch hole in the side after measuring 25 times!
image.jpeg

ARB front bumper installed. Nice little Christmas gift, no winch yet, but next on the list to get. Field tested over and over....and has proven to be the perfect spot for accomplishing effective poser shots.
image.jpeg

Cont......

Wow.. What a great looking 80. Something about a white 80 with stock wheels, mild lift, AT's, ARB, roofrack, and a snorkel... it just looks right. It doesn't need anything else.. yeah, maybe a winch! I have to say. I miss the white letter TOYOTA grill though!

Hawaii is an amazing place, too!

Wait, you converted FROM the TOYOTA grill to the taco grill? Unheard of!!

Also installed the Prinsu roof rack on top of the 80, has about 4 inches of clearance from the top of the garage.....so just have to remember to remove the surfboards before driving into the garage.
image.jpeg

Had some extra cargo space put in the tailgate. Saw a lot of different posts about this and just combined the what I thought were the best parts of each. It's been really handy for storing recovery stuff and extra emergency bikinis.
image.jpeg

Installed a hi-tech child entry assist tool. Forgot who originally did this, but saw something similar posted here and thought it was brilliant. The kids love getting in and out now!
image.jpeg

Found an early 80 series front grill and front mudflaps from a junkyard. Removed the stock running boards and cleaned up the grill and mudflaps to customize it a bit.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wait, you converted FROM the TOYOTA grill to the taco grill? Unheard of!!
You replied faster then I posted, I just recently put on the old style TOYOTA grill on my '95.

Also installed the Prinsu roof rack on top of the 80, has about 4 inches of clearance from the top of the garage.....so just have to remember to remove the surfboards before driving into the garage.
View attachment 1329077

Had some extra cargo space put in the tailgate. Saw a lot of different posts about this and just combined the what I thought were the best parts of each. It's been really handy for storing recovery stuff and extra emergency bikinis.
View attachment 1329079

Installed a hi-tech child entry assist tool. Forgot who originally did this, but saw something similar posted here and thought it was brilliant. The kids love getting in and out now!
View attachment 1329082

Found an early 80 series front grill and front mudflaps from a junkyard. Removed the stock running boards and cleaned up the grill and mudflaps to customize it a bit.
View attachment 1329085
View attachment 1329086

Hmmm.. I just knew I was missing something in my spares bag. Emergency bikinis! I should probably add a razor or two as well....

White cruiser is best cruiser. Arb bullbar bumpers are so 90s though. Like large halogen headlights and chrome diff covers and nerf bars

View attachment 1329079

Do you have links/info on the tailgate storage areas?

Wow.. What a great looking 80. Something about a white 80 with stock wheels, mild lift, AT's, ARB, roofrack, and a snorkel... it just looks right. It doesn't need anything else.. yeah, maybe a winch! I have to say. I miss the white letter TOYOTA grill though!

Hawaii is an amazing place, too!
Thanks, totally agree with you about the white 80's! And especially about Hawaii being amazing.
My 80 has taken me to some beautiful places around my island home this past year:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

awesome pictures, thanks for sharing...

i really need to visit hawaii, such a beautiful place if you love the outdoors...

i would like to know more about the tailgate storage on your truck
@shmabs and @loquito the best write up I know of can be found here: My Tailgate Storage Project
But I may be a little biased on it being the best, mostly because I did the write up on it. A lot of photos and links can be found there for some tailgate storage ideas.

White cruiser is best cruiser. Arb bullbar bumpers are so 90s though. Like large halogen headlights and chrome diff covers and nerf bars
I agree, white 80's are the best but the ARB bullbar is not 90's. It provides a lot of front end protection from wild life & looks great on an 80. It was designed to fit a Warn M12000 winch.
Keep up the good work Aloha Jen!

I agree, white 80's are the best but the ARB bullbar is not 90's. It provides a lot of front end protection from wild life & looks great on an 80. It was designed to fit a Warn M12000 winch.
Keep up the good work Aloha Jen!
Nah im pretty sure youre wrong

White cruiser is best cruiser. Arb bullbar bumpers are so 90s though.
I guess I can't really comment on this because I don't know how bumpers looked in the 90's....never really noticed them during my childhood. But if they look so 90's, then I suppose it's time period appropriate (since mine is a '95). I like it, so I must like that old school 90's look!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom