Should I trade for this Lexus lx 470? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I discovered some water getting into my truck on the passenger side and getting into the wiring there and causing all kinds of electrical problems including the clicking of the efi relay near the battery and the door chime going off when no key was in the ignition. I was able to dry everything out and the problem disappeared.

So I tested the windshield with soapy water and discovered a leak near the top corner. No one was willing to just reseal the window so I was going to have safelite put in a new one with a new seal. However I discovered a little rust on the A pillar where the side weatherstripping meets the A Pillar.

The tech and I removed the trim and could see some rusting all along flat surface of the pillar where the trim fit. Anyway to do it right, I need to get the rust repaired before, or during, the replacement of the windshield. It could be fairly expensive to have a body shop repair the rust and any rust hidden underneath the window.

My rig is in good shape otherwise. 99 with rear air and rear locker. Hid upgrade. No rust anywhere else. New radiator, new fan clutch, the majority of the coilpacks replaced, new brakes, new muffler, timing belt recently done. I've got 220k miles on it.

I found this 03 Lexus ( 2003 LEXUS LX470 LOADED LEATHER BLUE TOOTH LOW LOW MILES ) with 76k miles on it and clean carfax. I'm kind of tempted by the low miles of the Lexus and its amenities. I am concerned that it will need a TB job in the near future. I am also wondering how problematic the adjustable suspension is, as well as the climate control that is integrated with the gps/stereo and any other problems that the more complex awd system may present.

Should I use the windshield as an excuse to jump on this low mileage lx470? In the long run would I be better of with the simpler 99 with high miles with many parts replaced, or the lower mileage lx 470 with potentially more expensive parts to replace later?

Thanks

I had a 1999 LC Lived its life in Tucson AZ. Had 60k miles when I bought it, no rust the bottom looked new. The paint was a little faded from to much heat and sun. I drove it for a couple of years and moved to KC when it had about 80k miles on it. Traded for a 2004 LX470 from Dallas with 40k miles on it, the LX looked new from top to bottom. I loved the LX but I also loved the LC. I would get the 2003 low mileage.

Trade?

It's a keeper!!!!

Use the '99 for the trail!!!

Buy the 2003 as your DD and/or family vehicle. :lol:

pics of the underside on LX470? There is a reason people sell cars after 10 years...I bet it has rust. there is also a reason why dealers don't post undercarriage pics.

I have an '03 LC and love it. Bought it with 88K miles about 3.5 years ago. It now has 122K miles and it's been fantastic. The one you posted looks like the rear AHC is in high while the front is in neutral or low (stink bug), so I would be concerned about that. And of course there's the undercarriage rust, but it shouldn't be any worse than your '99. If the AHC and rust check out, I'd get it. BTW, you can create an account at Lexus.com and input the vin to see the vehicles service history.

I called and the lexus has had the AHC disabled and regular shocks put in. Is there anything specific I should look for to make sure the conversion was done right? Im thinking something is up since the rear is higher and it does have the stinkbug look.

I called and the lexus has had the AHC disabled and regular shocks put in. Is there anything specific I should look for to make sure the conversion was done right? Im thinking something is up since the rear is higher and it does have the stinkbug look.

You will need to determine what torsion bars and springs were used.

I'd be concerned that the AHC already failed and the prior owner (or the dealer) cheaped out on a repair or something along those lines.

That being said, I'd buy (or keep) a 200k+ miles, well maintained rig with a bunch of newer parts vs a questionable low mile example. Clean up that windshield frame rust the best you can, paint it with some por15, have the new winshield installed and keep on rocking and rolling.

"That being said, I'd buy (or keep) a 200k+ miles, well maintained rig with a bunch of newer parts vs a questionable low mile example. Clean up that windshield frame rust the best you can, paint it with some por15, have the new winshield installed and keep on rocking and rolling."

Thats what I'm starting to think. Been reading some other posts on the AHC ( LX470 AHC Problems ) and it seems like it might have been a poor conversion job since it is still low in the front. Also with only 76k miles and failure, Im thinking rust may be an issue. I may still drive down and look at it but I think keeping old reliable is going to be the way to go. I just did the heater T hoses on it as well, so I know thats one less thing to worry about.

At first I was going to say, take a trip to baja, go to la Paz with the big race, find a nice town mechanical marvel and you problem be done with a case of beer..

But your house is just to far away, maybe Miami, well Florida, (Even craigslist in "Services" tons of super skill hand crafters, building a A pillar from scratch is kinder garden for them..

The price of specialized labor in the US is insane (way to much overhead and shiny marble floors to polish) and sincerely sometimes the workmanship is not even that good or at least you can see the repair without even looking for it..)

Im hoping it is not too bad of a job. I might post some pics on here of what I can see so far. Thanks for all the suggestions. Guess I won't really know til they pull the old one out and then I'm committed to doing the body work if it is too rusty needed since they wont put a glass in when there is too much rust. I just don't like being at others mercy. Stinks cause the truck would go another 220k miles if it were in a salt free area.

Doesn't look anywhere near as bad as the one in this post Rust help/advice , at least not at the top. My rust is along side the A pillar where the molding is riveted.

contact dealer and ask for underside pics. If he doesn't send, you know the full story. I wouldn't be too worried about the AHC conversion. Also, that truck with low miles could be very valuable in a couple of years. IMO, CARB is going to make these trucks super desirable. I was reading about the new volvo SUV. $65k- engine is a turbo 4 banger. If I spend 65k for a truck, it better have 8 cylinders.

Turbos + electronics = dumpster fire out of warranty. I really think an old LC with a bulletproof drive train will be a great long term vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom