Info on transplanting newer 94 A/C system into a 91 that had the A/C converted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am hoping there is some info available on making the upgrade from a 91 80 series A/C system converted to 134 to the newer 94 system. I am mostly trying to determine if it is worth the effort so:

1) Is the A/C system performance a big upgrade
2) Is it even possible to install the compressor and parts without major fab work?
3)Is it enough to transplant the entire system from the firewall forward or do I need to swap parts in the interior also.

Right now if it is hot out, (as it gets in So. Cal.) the current A/C system just does not get the job done, but I noticed the brief time that the 94 I am parting out was driving into my side yard the A/C was very cold, very quickly.

Thanks in advance for any comments, I searched for this topic but had no luck.

I have a 97 fzj80, my old man has a 91 fj80, both trucks get ice cold. The 91 might have been a bit colder before he converted to r134. You bight be low on freon or tour ac clutch is out 9f spec. IMHO not necessary (or possible ) to convert. Definitely wouldn't see it as a upgrade as the 91 -92 have the more desirable tucked away ac lines.

My r134a 92 blows icicles. It sounds like you should fix whatever is hampering yours.

My r134a 92 blows icicles. It sounds like you should fix whatever is hampering yours.

I agree 100%. I went through considerable time getting my 91 to hold pressure - but now that it works it's freezing, foolishly cold. Converting to a newer system would be more work than I went through, and for negligible benefit, if any.

That is great news, thank you so much for the comparisons. I will work on the system I have then, I am glad to know that it is not the old r12 converted to 134 that just can't get the job done.
Thanks again.

What they said above.

And if I'm not mistaken the compressors are the same for 95-97 as 91-94. Just mounted differently. And of course different ports for the r134 vs r12. The drier is the same (though they are in different locations). The expansion valve is the same. Same system. IIRC.

It's assumed you can get your hands on R-12 refrigerant and do the servicing?

image.png
Follow this TSB and you will be golden.

When Toyota switched from R12 to R134a in mid-'93, they used different condensers, driers, hoses, o-rings, pressure switch, liquid lines, expansion block and evaporator. The compressors are the same except the early compressors come with ND6 (mineral oil) for R12 and the later ones have ND8 (PAG46) oil. The later compressors can be used with R12 by draining the oil and refilling with ND6. Your R12 system can work great with R134 assuming the retrofit is done correctly.

Well I was informed when I bought the vehicle about all of the service work and one of the items was the full conversion of the system from the r12 to r134. I have no reason to believe this was not done correctly, it was done due to a leak in the system. There of course could be a new leak or just that it was never fully filled.
The system is ok when it is 80 dog out but over 90 it just does not even get the job done for the front.
I will just pick up some leak detector and some refrigerant and gauge and fill equipment and go from there.

If it was filled when it was cold out it could very well be low on refrigerant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom