oddball PTO gear fitment issue (who likes Trivia?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
there seems to be too much space between my PTO gear and the rear bearing.

history: this is a hodgepodge of used parts. SM420 with an oddball adapter that has a full length shaft bolted to a 3-speed transfer case.
I test fit it once then realized I was missing the PTO gear or spacer. My friend had a bucket of PTO gears... I found a 10-spine and went home. Now it's all together again. The input gear lines up nicely with the idler gear. But the PTO has about .5" of space on the shaft.

Any ideas? Any thoughts? Any anecdotes?

PTO gear.jpg

PTOgear2.jpg

PTO gear should have a longer side than the other.

Are you using the PTO? If not, a Spacer would work fine.

IMG_1593.jpg

Agreed.

But where did this oddball 10 spline PTO gear come from? Anybody seen anything like this?

Isn't that simply an 'early' (coarse spline) PTO gear? Later ones have more splines.

I have the bearing and the spacer.
The bearing stops in the back of the case and there's 1/2" of gap between the bearing and the PTO gear.

The 61 to mid 63 T/T was ten spline shaft. Might be off one of those. Just get the correct gear. Quick easy way to check the case is the early T case only used four not six bolts for the cover on the back where these gears are.

The earlier three speeds were also ten spline and the three speed we got lastd into the eighties in other markets. SOR at one time sold a ten spline, thirty-one tooth T case input gear to use the later T case with a three speed. Think there might even a very rare three speed to split case that was used in the poorest markets. Your PTO gear may be from a earlier T case or even a non Toyota T case. If your T case has six bolt holes on the back you have the correct T case. Don't over think it just get the correct gear. Every three speed mid 63 and later imported here had the gear so they are easy to find. The sixteen spline are harder to find.

Ok I'll go find another PTO gear.
The case is correct. It just didn't come with a PTO because it had been booted to a short style sm420 adapter which ditches the PTO.
My sm420 has a custom shaft that mimics the stock 3-speed 10-spline shaft (but it's NOT a spud shaft like Advance Adapters sells. Never seen one like this).

Anyway... Maybe this was a non-Toyota PTO gear that did have a mini spacer with it (that got lost in the shuffle).
I'll go get another.

Were those cases the ones behind the goofy 4-speed with no low-range?

No markings TEQ or otherwise. But looked very similar to the other correct gear as far as beveled edges and such.

That makes sense. I had a box with a bunch of early Tcase parts and I guess this gear was part of that pile ....

Great info guys!!!!!

I'll save that gear and will mark it accordingly.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom